Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players

It is not necessarily one, but I guess this happens to some players: DO NOT SAY USELESS STUFFS WHEN PPL DO NOT WANT TO PLAY ALONG WITH YOU. I have a friend of this kind ( IRL and in DST). He would build himself a grave and die there every single time before he leaves a server in DST. And sometimes he still goes without ppl listening to him.  Today he just came to me and rant to me about someone saying:"why do u go through such dramas? Just go. " when my friend was talking about his grave and his stuffs left there. My guy thinks he's got quite insulted, and for being his friend for 19 years' sake, I came to the forum and tried to figure this out.

He is a nice guy in game and IRL (I cannot know him better) and followed most of the disciplines listed above. (He uses profanity on intentional griefers but that's fine) but you cannot always expect everyone to play along with you.  The same can be said to guys like "But Webber likes monster meats" or "this is my gloomer, I'll name him/her Blah blah blah".

I'm fine personally with such behaviors cuz it can be either cute or funny. But if nobody replies to what you says (good thing about DST, one can choose to be silent), maybe u want to calm down a bit? 

But on the opposite side, it's not courteous to say things like "Stop being childish" either, you can politely point it out. imo, the guy that "insulted" my friend did fine, while he did not point it out "courteously", he did not do it aggressively either. Being courteous is not that easy online nowadays. 

So generally we can conclude my crappy words into these lines: 

On public servers, behave like a grown-up and conceal your childishness unless you have audiences that plays along with you. 

If someone does not seem to be like a grown-up, tolerate him/her. Point it out COURTEOUSLY or simply be silent. 

On your own servers with your friends? Whatever, you can even change speed & damage multipliers and tell yourself: Willie just transformed and Charlie ain't nothin'. 

It's my pertains more to hosts but this is stuff that I don't think has been addressed well and I've read all eight pages 

1 just because a person joins and doesn't want to be a part of your mega base don't kick them if they can survive on their own or that they proved they could before  for you got angry at them leave them alone some people just like to be lone wolves

2. Don't get mad when someone plays Wilson Willow or Wes respect their choice I know that people have their prejudices but we need to try to get rid of that just yesterday a friend of mine got kicked from the server just because he was rushing ruins and he was doing wel and the  hosts excuse was he was Willow

3 Please use items until they break I know that you don't want to because it seems pointless but it can save a lot of clutter and some people don't have those mods that cleaning stuff out and it gets annoying tavern go through a field or chest full of broken helmets just because they didn't use them all the way 

And a ham bat goes in the chest full of rot

4.if you are the host and  servers just a normal survival server that plays by the rules then please keep console commands to a minimum or none  unless stated otherwise.

sorry but I'm not a try hard but I do like being rewarded for things I do and to me if I didn't kill that boss I don't think I deserve the loot it didn't make me rage quit but leaves a sour taste in my mouth or even if we all die to a boss I know we're going to get out of it because the host where God mode just to kill the boss and one hit for some people including myself that kind of ruins the fun if you didn't succeed then you don't get the stuff. it didn't make me rage quit but leaves a sour taste in my mouth or even if we all die to a boss I know we're going to get out of it because the host when god mode just to kill the boss and one hit for some people including myself that kind of ruins the fun if you didn't succeed then you don't get the stuff 

5, No I've only seen this happen once or twice but if you don't know what character that well and you want to learn the character on a play session try to ask your teammates about the character or look it up just don't  staying there twiddling your thumbs trying all this nonsense when some of us know what's going to work and what doesn't and just save a lot of headache and it's just better if someone helps you.

Spoiler

Most of us comes from when I had a free week too play DST   Because I went to a place where the Internet was actually good and most are friends stories that I hear all the time that play don't starve together and they don't have forms account so I thought I'd share

On 3/2/2016 at 6:38 PM, MiniKeeper said:

I totally wish new players didn't pick flowers like crazy. Most of the new players don't know picking flowers restores sanity :p

I just pick a stack of flowers for instant rot. I tend to avoid picking flowers near bee biomes though

also here's a fun fact that I learned from experience! if the server description reads "no babies, no beginners, all survival" don't join it! You get CSGO people who probably believe everything edgy rick says and if you die from,  say, the winter, they will call you a noob. 

What I do is build signs to lead to the base asap. People thanked me a lot.

Host

- Description: you have it for a reason.  It's to put things about your server for other people.  So if you don't like certain characters, please put that there.  If it's only day or autumn, please put that there.  

- Greedy: Please don't take everything that other players will need.  If you really want more than what's necessary, just go further out to get it.  It sucks when you can't even make a torch because the host took all the twigs and grass.

Everyone

- conversations: There is a mode called social.  Please join that if you're a chatterbox.  Not to be mean, but I would rather not have conversations that aren't related to the game.

- teamwork: Actually work together since it's Don't Starve Together.  I will have conversations about the game and you shouldn't hesitate to do that.  We need to work together and have more fun introducing different strategies, learning new information, and more.  

- lazy entitlement: Okay!  So every once in a while we all need something, and it's more convenient to ask someone else to get it.  "Hey, I'm all they way in the Savanna.  Could you please get a few rocks for me?"  or "You're about to go to the caves for a bit?  Do you mind bringing a few light bulbs up?"  Though no one likes lazy people.  You know the one who barks out orders to get things when they've been sitting at the base all day?  Don't be them.

How to be Courteous to fellow PS4 players:

•  NOT waste your time and effort to make a brand new PSN account to request someone as a friend to stalk someone and then go sending a voice recording accusing the player of sending you a friend request and get bitter when you didn't get what you wanted: http://imgur.com/a/fkTg1 https://imgur.com/a/Lx9xV (the voice recording was this guy getting mad "why add me if you dont want to let me join you?" 

I got very sick of receiving more than 5+ private PSN messages per week from strangers asking for the password to my DST world and help for them to earn trophies (it happens whenever I'm playing DST) that I had to change my PSN settings to only friends to able to send me PSN messages but this didn't stop strangers from sending me a friend request to start sending PSN messages for the password.

I know who this guy is (the one from the screenshots above), he is the SAME guy who sent me a friend request last week under a different PSN account asking for my DST password because he wanted to "check it out" claiming to be an expert in DST he even sent a screenshot of his world to "prove" it but I still told him I cannot give him the password. A few days later I got another friend request, as usual I accepted the friend request not knowing that it was about DST because I was playing a different game earlier and I thought it was someone from Rock of Ages 2. Anyway, once I accepted the friend request, the first thing I got was "password" , I just ignored it and then a few minutes later he sent another message "DST" and asked again for "password" I just ignored his messages but I did I noticed something strange about this guy -- I checked his PSN profile and it was completely brand new. He was a level 1 PSN user with only one game DST with only one trophy that he just got by visiting someone's DST world for the first time and his friend list had 3 friends: me that he just added and 2 other people (the 2nd one was the guy who sent me a friend request last week asking for my DST password and sending me screenshots of "proof" that he is experienced, the 3rd is another guy who also sent me a friend request the same day the 2nd one sent me a friend request... which made me think that there was a pattern and that he probably made those throw away accounts to mess with me by pretending to be someone else) 

I did a test yesterday (Sunday evening), I decided to "play" DST when I saw in my fl that ONE of the 3 was online (the main guy who sent me screenshot and proof he has exp in DST) a minute or two later, I get a PS4 pop up notification that a friend has logged in (the guy with brand new PSN account) and he goes sending me the same message "password" along with a voice recording and him asking to join.... LOL which has confirmed my suspension all along that this is the same person.

All that effort because the guy got butthurt I didn't want to let him into my DST world. 

• Never assume that just because you've sent a friend request and they have accepted your friend request, it automatically means BFF mode and you're entitled to join their private DST world.
  • Don't get bitter and try to get revenge just because you didn't get it your way -- move on!
  • Don't spam players to Share Play DST (let them gain control of your DST game in your world in their PS4 system)
  • Don't spam players to Request to Watch (stream) when they don't feel like streaming.
  • Always remember to treat people the way you would want to be treated

10 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

How to be Courteous to fellow PS4 players:

•  NOT waste your time and effort to make a brand new PSN account to request someone as a friend to stalk someone and then go sending a voice recording accusing the player of sending you a friend request and get bitter when you didn't get what you wanted: http://imgur.com/a/fkTg1 https://imgur.com/a/Lx9xV (the voice recording was this guy getting mad "why add me if you dont want to let me join you?" 

I got very sick of receiving more than 5+ private PSN messages per week from strangers asking for the password to my DST world and help for them to earn trophies (it happens whenever I'm playing DST) that I had to change my PSN settings to only friends to able to send me PSN messages but this didn't stop strangers from sending me a friend request to start sending PSN messages for the password.

I know who this guy is (the one from the screenshots above), he is the SAME guy who sent me a friend request last week under a different PSN account asking for my DST password because he wanted to "check it out" claiming to be an expert in DST he even sent a screenshot of his world to "prove" it but I still told him I cannot give him the password. A few days later I got another friend request, as usual I accepted the friend request not knowing that it was about DST because I was playing a different game earlier and I thought it was someone from Rock of Ages 2. Anyway, once I accepted the friend request, the first thing I got was "password" , I just ignored it and then a few minutes later he sent another message "DST" and asked again for "password" I just ignored his messages but I did I noticed something strange about this guy -- I checked his PSN profile and it was completely brand new. He was a level 1 PSN user with only one game DST with only one trophy that he just got by visiting someone's DST world for the first time and his friend list had 3 friends: me that he just added and 2 other people (the 2nd one was the guy who sent me a friend request last week asking for my DST password and sending me screenshots of "proof" that he is experienced, the 3rd is another guy who also sent me a friend request the same day the 2nd one sent me a friend request... which made me think that there was a pattern and that he probably made those throw away accounts to mess with me by pretending to be someone else) 

I did a test yesterday (Sunday evening), I decided to "play" DST when I saw in my fl that ONE of the 3 was online (the main guy who sent me screenshot and proof he has exp in DST) a minute or two later, I get a PS4 pop up notification that a friend has logged in (the guy with brand new PSN account) and he goes sending me the same message "password" along with a voice recording and him asking to join.... LOL which has confirmed my suspension all along that this is the same person.

All that effort because the guy got butthurt I didn't want to let him into my DST world. 

• Never assume that just because you've sent a friend request and they have accepted your friend request, it automatically means BFF mode and you're entitled to join their private DST world.
  • Don't get bitter and try to get revenge just because you didn't get it your way -- move on!
  • Don't spam players to Share Play DST (let them gain control of your DST game in your world in their PS4 system)
  • Don't spam players to Request to Watch (stream) when they don't feel like streaming.
  • Always remember to treat people the way you would want to be treated

Yikes!  It's never that serious though.  Who literally stalks someone for access to a world?

I think you're all getting puffed up about this here without any hope in mind. Do you really think every player who is new to the game is going to come here to read 100s of wall of texts just to have fun playing a game? There might not be any "fun" left if you have that kind of expectations from people. I mean, look at how much walls I've been writing and how that turned out for me. I read walls of text myself if I want to see what points in them are laying, but even I'm not going to waste all day reading 8 pages of that ****.

I think you should play however you like and just learn along the way; that's what fluid game design is for and is all about, but since this game has none and both the fanbase and the developers themselves don't to try to aknowledge that, I guess this being the result is no wonder.

Just enjoy the bloody game, if you can, I mean, you probably payed for it anyway. Blame the game, not the player :p

On 8/1/2017 at 6:36 PM, The Snow Mexican said:

also here's a fun fact that I learned from experience! if the server description reads "no babies, no beginners, all survival" don't join it! You get CSGO people who probably believe everything edgy rick says and if you die from,  say, the winter, they will call you a noob. 

What I do is build signs to lead to the base asap. People thanked me a lot.

UR SUCH A NOOB BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SURVIVE WINTER WITHOUT ANY EQUIPMENT! WE HAD ALL THE WINTER HATS HERE ON THIS BASE AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD THAT WE NEVER LEAD YOU TO!

On 7/27/2017 at 3:09 PM, Donke60 said:

It's my pertains more to hosts but this is stuff that I don't think has been addressed well and I've read all eight pages 

1 just because a person joins and doesn't want to be a part of your mega base don't kick them if they can survive on their own or that they proved they could before  for you got angry at them leave them alone some people just like to be lone wolves

2. Don't get mad when someone plays Wilson Willow or Wes respect their choice I know that people have their prejudices but we need to try to get rid of that just yesterday a friend of mine got kicked from the server just because he was rushing ruins and he was doing wel and the  hosts excuse was he was Willow

3 Please use items until they break I know that you don't want to because it seems pointless but it can save a lot of clutter and some people don't have those mods that cleaning stuff out and it gets annoying tavern go through a field or chest full of broken helmets just because they didn't use them all the way 

And a ham bat goes in the chest full of rot

4.if you are the host and  servers just a normal survival server that plays by the rules then please keep console commands to a minimum or none  unless stated otherwise.

sorry but I'm not a try hard but I do like being rewarded for things I do and to me if I didn't kill that boss I don't think I deserve the loot it didn't make me rage quit but leaves a sour taste in my mouth or even if we all die to a boss I know we're going to get out of it because the host where God mode just to kill the boss and one hit for some people including myself that kind of ruins the fun if you didn't succeed then you don't get the stuff. it didn't make me rage quit but leaves a sour taste in my mouth or even if we all die to a boss I know we're going to get out of it because the host when god mode just to kill the boss and one hit for some people including myself that kind of ruins the fun if you didn't succeed then you don't get the stuff 

5, No I've only seen this happen once or twice but if you don't know what character that well and you want to learn the character on a play session try to ask your teammates about the character or look it up just don't  staying there twiddling your thumbs trying all this nonsense when some of us know what's going to work and what doesn't and just save a lot of headache and it's just better if someone helps you.

Reveal hidden contents

Most of us comes from when I had a free week too play DST   Because I went to a place where the Internet was actually good and most are friends stories that I hear all the time that play don't starve together and they don't have forms account so I thought I'd share

I agree with everything you said then. For example, I always play Wilson for vanity reasons, and I've came across a few servers that couldn't seem to handle the fact that I like a characters hairstyle.

Don't ask where the Base is Right After Joining...

i never saw this like something bad but maybe im just naive... and i am a main base player (the person who is allways geting food in the icebox and try to avoid meat to get rot, make the beebox and get resource), but i love when someone says lets kill the Dfly (or deerclops or open the loot stash or...) oh! yeah!

On 1/8/2018 at 7:48 PM, JustinMark309 said:

Leave the spider stuff (killing/looting) yo a Webber... That's their job

But what if the other non-Webber players are reasonably experienced in handling with spiders?

Its just that I'd rather not have to depend on a Webber (Or any specific character, really) to give me the silk I need for a winter cap, while I can simply craft a spear and some armor, and start raiding a few distant spider nests for all the silk I need. Just saying.

36 minutes ago, Commissar Oscar said:

But what if the other non-Webber players are reasonably experienced in handling with spiders?

Then it's ok to do his job lol smh at that Webber lol

36 minutes ago, Commissar Oscar said:

Is just that I'd rather not have to depend on a Webber (Or any specific character, really) to give me the silk I need for a winter cap, while I can simply craft a spear and some armor, and start raiding a few distant spider nests for all the silk I need. Just saying.

And you would get silk ALOT slower because you would have to wait for dens to upgrade for MORE spiders can come out faster... And don't forget you only get a 25 percent chance of silk dropping from each spider 

I think they balanced the silk dropping on DST lower too... Soooooo...

It seems like not a lot of people have mentioned this except one person, but I would like to just emphasize on putting a title and description for your server. I like to play casually, I read the titles and description to help me find other people who don't care about survival and just want to have fun. Most of the time though, I just see the default title and no desc.

Spoiler

Whenever I join one of these, it just feels like I'm playing the lottery. Am I going to get kicked instantly? Am I going to be met with d-heads? Are people going to be speaking a language I don't understand and nothing else? Or am I going to find other easy going people?

On 1/8/2018 at 10:48 PM, JustinMark309 said:

Leave the spider stuff (killing/looting) yo a Webber... That's their job

Sorry, this is kind of late, but I want to say that it is actually easier for non-Webbers to get spider loot (unless you want to do a spider farm) because if you're using rabbit traps (so helpful btw) to trap spiders, then Webber can't draw them out... :T

1) Don't just stand there when I ask you a question. I have to wonder if you're afk, ignoring me, or just can't understand me...? Then I don't want to be persistent, but I have a question that determines what I do afterward which is awk...

2) If you're probably going to leave forever or you know the server is going to be closed soon after you leave, drop some important stuff. If you have like 15 gears, PLEASE don't leave the world with those. I had an instance in one of my worlds where somebody took our only fishing rod then left. Very annoying.

3) If you have 40 flints with you, don't keep it all for yourself. Drop some off at the base.

I'm on day ~650 on ps4, and i'm guessing i've had about 75-150 people join my open server.

I've literally had 2 helpful people...  <5 not harmful people. 

Everyone asks "where is the base?", when i have it marked and signed, so i instantly know they are noobs.

I put a campfire, a chest with supplies, and a sign saying where to go to get to base at the portal, and I come back to find the chest and sign burnt down.

1) don't ask me for already crafted items that are easy to craft, just ask for supplies and craft it yourself, or even better, go get those supplies and craft it.  A good example is someone asked me for a thermal stone.  Just annoying imo. 

2) DO NOT GO THROUGH PEOPLES' CHESTS.  I instantly kick anyone who starts doing that.  If i already told you not to, insta-ban.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:26 PM, XanderSnow said:

I'm on day ~650 on ps4, and i'm guessing i've had about 75-150 people join my open server.

I've literally had 2 helpful people...  <5 not harmful people. 

Everyone asks "where is the base?", when i have it marked and signed, so i instantly know they are noobs.

I put a campfire, a chest with supplies, and a sign saying where to go to get to base at the portal, and I come back to find the chest and sign burnt down.

1) don't ask me for already crafted items that are easy to craft, just ask for supplies and craft it yourself, or even better, go get those supplies and craft it.  A good example is someone asked me for a thermal stone.  Just annoying imo. 

2) DO NOT GO THROUGH PEOPLES' CHESTS.  I instantly kick anyone who starts doing that.  If i already told you not to, insta-ban.

Those are all valuable points, one thing tho. If it is the middle of Winter I think leaving a thermal stone near spawn is just good manors, or an umbrella in the middle of Summer. Now if it’s spring or Autumn then I think the average player should be able to fend for themselves until they reach the base. If not we’ll., you are just another skeleton in my world lol. 

Archived