Recommended Posts

Destros09    1,139

Make a fire and endo fire pit at spawn with a chest with logs, I don't even need to explain this 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DatShadowJK    959
On 2 March 2017 at 9:43 PM, Arlesienne said:

My proposition for in-game interactions and the forums: read a bit on Google, DO NOT ask Klei to port SW to DST.

Well that can flame a riot I guess

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pointeh    4

Don't ask captain obvious questions all the time and just Google them instead.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    2,157
On 3/4/2017 at 11:10 AM, Destros09 said:

Make a fire and endo fire pit at spawn with a chest with logs, I don't even need to explain this 

Exactly!  I already do this anyway.  Except, with Rellimarual's amendment of leaving axes there and trees instead.  At my longest-running server ("Camp One-Foot-In-The-Grave"...well, that's the unofficial name of the BASE, not the server itself) I even put a sign there too:

"If arriving at night or in winter/summer, 1.  Take axe.  2.  Chop tree.  3.  Light season-appropriate firepit and not die.  :)"

Hee.  (That wouldn't help people like that one guy who'd never SEEN an endo fire before and thought it was a mod, but in general...)

Also Wigfrid does have a reason to pick berries--filler!  AND, if you're playing with others, _they_ can always eat 'em.  (shrug)

...Notorious

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rellimarual    1,821

During the Chinese New Year event, picking berries was highly likely to spawn gobblers and therefore provide drumsticks, though I did always leave the berries on the ground....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alarsin    213
On 3/2/2016 at 4:20 PM, MenaAthena said:

 

  • If you don't want Strangers, set a Password: You'd think this one would be a no brainer, but I've heard a lot of stories of people joining servers just to be kicked the moment they enter. I assume it only happens when someone doesn't know that they can make a password for they're server, but still, it's rude.

If I play as Wicker, I like to keep my server open and spawn some tentacles next to the portal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincent Wei    1

We once had some people with lots of time in their hands (or one person with several accounts) He/she would come in as Willow, find the base and started burning it with the stupid lighter and taking all of our resources. Not problem, we thought, thats what kicking and rollbacks are for! But no, he would start clogging up the voting system by making us vote on whether or not to ban random people (who were not a waste of space like him), so we couldn't vote on kicking him. And whenever we did finally manage to start a vote on whether or not to kick him, he would just leave for 30 seconds or so and then come back when the votings over and start burning our stuff all over again. So we basically got stuck in an infinite loop of rollbacks. I even recorded what he did and condensed/summarized what he did in a few minutes of footage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thieverpedia    153
Posted (edited)

This thread really did come in handy for my first joined DST world in a long time. Kinda wish I told everyone else on the cramped server about it. Loads of people asking where the base was and hoarding materials at the start, but still fun, nonetheless. Guess I'll slap my own personal advice on here...

If there's a sinkhole quite near your team's base, for the love of Helix, don't mine it open! On my last server, someone did exactly that, and batalisks were harassing us every night XD

More advice, I hear you asking? Here you go!

Don't pester players for items! They might not have any to spare, or they simply aren't in the mood to go get it while you chill at the base.

A prime example was what happened on my last visited server. There was this one player who constantly pestered me for silk and another who didn't know how to get honey. They were just standing around in the base accomplishing nothing. 

In short, sometimes, you have to do things for yourself. You should enter servers knowing full well that other players aren't there to babysit you. Get out of the base and learn! Pull your own weight! Doing nothing will harm the productivity of everyone!

Edited by Thieverpedia
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xxVERSUSxy    323
On 3/18/2017 at 1:52 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Exactly!  I already do this anyway.  Except, with Rellimarual's amendment of leaving axes there and trees instead.  At my longest-running server ("Camp One-Foot-In-The-Grave"...well, that's the unofficial name of the BASE, not the server itself) I even put a sign there too:

"If arriving at night or in winter/summer, 1.  Take axe.  2.  Chop tree.  3.  Light season-appropriate firepit and not die.  :)"

Hee.  (That wouldn't help people like that one guy who'd never SEEN an endo fire before and thought it was a mod, but in general...)

Also Wigfrid does have a reason to pick berries--filler!  AND, if you're playing with others, _they_ can always eat 'em.  (shrug)

...Notorious

 

If you do that with the pits and logs/axes-trees, also should leave some thermal stones in there - so that people could actually leave gate location if joining in summer/winter. Otherwise they will still die there (well another point would be regulars to join only autumn servers but that's another thing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rellimarual    1,821
7 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

you do that with the pits and logs/axes-trees, also should leave some thermal stones in there - so that people could actually leave gate location if joining in summer/winter. Otherwise they will still die there (well another point would be regulars to join only autumn servers but that's another thing).

Thermal stones won't help much in summer if there's no fridge, and they will somehow manage to burn down any structure you build near the spawn. I also wouldn't put it past one of them to take all the stones, which could end up costing the host a lot of precious rock. Basically, if they're joining in summer or winter and they know what they're doing, they can make it to the base if you leave them an ax. If they don't know what they're doing, you probably don't want them there in the challenging seasons. When a newcomer is clearly very new to the game, we usually just encourage them to co e back in autumn or spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    3,527
6 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Thermal stones won't help much in summer if there's no fridge

Endothermic fire pits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rellimarual    1,821
28 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Endothermic fire pits.

That's an interesting idea, although costly. They don't just destroy it? I suppose it can't burn, so they'd have to go to the trouble of making a hammer. Still, that's a lot of stone, if you include the thermals and the fire pit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onetel21    100
Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2016 at 1:20 AM, MenaAthena said:

 

  • Don't ask where the Base is Right After Joining: This one's simple, but it goes a long way in not annoying people. Now I know that when you first enter a server you want to know where you can come to at night to cook and spam the /dance emote, but be patient. If you aren't given directions or offered an escort, explore, gather some things, get your bearings. People will respect you more if you survive a few days before asking where the base is located. Who knows, you may even find it on your own!

 

  • Don't Enter in Winter or Summer: Pay attention to the day and season of the server you're joining. If you want to join in a difficult season for some extra challenge, go ahead. Just don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing to help you out.

 

  • Keep Busy: Look around the base. Does it still need some drying racks? A crockpot? Some farms? Do the traps need to be emptyed? Are you low on wood? Look around for things that need to be done, and if you're having trouble finding something, it never hurts to ask. No one likes a leach.

If only people could respect those 3 simple rules.. but sadly:
 

1) Enter, picks character , asks "BASE???11111!!11!"
if you tell them "we can't help you right now" they will just insult you and your family and leave

2) Enters in winter, dies after 0.3 seconds, goes around asking for base, help and why he should leave

3) Enters the game, finds an egg, wastes 99% of his time preparing food other people collect and hatching his egg, just to see his new smallbird killed by some other player and then griefing the whole server.

 

Those people will get mad once kicked and have a bad mood for the whole day. if everyone could respect those simple rules everything would be better and the community would be more clean and friendly.

 

Heck i too join in winter sometimes as woodie, i chop myself some trees, i survive a few days, once people "accept" me i will show them what i can do , if i find their base i will force them to accept me, but i sure as hell won't die day 1 without putting up a fight (?) and if i do i will just leave immediately to not disturb "old players"

Edited by Onetel21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LuxuryHeart    125
On 4/7/2017 at 5:37 PM, Thieverpedia said:

This thread really did come in handy for my first joined DST world in a long time. Kinda wish I told everyone else on the cramped server about it. Loads of people asking where the base was and hoarding materials at the start, but still fun, nonetheless. Guess I'll slap my own personal advice on here...

If there's a sinkhole quite near your team's base, for the love of Helix, don't mine it open! On my last server, someone did exactly that, and batalisks were harassing us every night XD

More advice, I hear you asking? Here you go!

Don't pester players for items! They might not have any to spare, or they simply aren't in the mood to go get it while you chill at the base.

A prime example was what happened on my last visited server. There was this one player who constantly pestered me for silk and another who didn't know how to get honey. They were just standing around in the base accomplishing nothing. 

In short, sometimes, you have to do things for yourself. You should enter servers knowing full well that other players aren't there to babysit you. Get out of the base and learn! Pull your own weight! Doing nothing will harm the productivity of everyone!

I dealt with a Wilson like this.  He would constantly pester everyone on the server for rocks, and he never went out to get his own.  To add insult to injury, he was the host.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    2,157
Posted (edited)

Oh, like with Jerkface of Jerkface and Dumbarse (Attourneys at Law!) whom I told the story of earlier in this thread (near the bottom of page 5 if anyone's curious).  HE kept pestering me for my one, lone, gear.  Which was needed for a fling-o-matic you nit!  Rocks, silk and honey are WAY less rare--it might take a bit to find them, but you _can_.  So go do it yourself!

I can happily say that, as a host, I have never EVER just sat around base and tried to make other players my minions.  If I operated like _that_, nothing would ever happen and I would be alone 100% of the time instead of around 75%!

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    2,157

This.  (points upwards)  This right here.  All of it. The leave flint/tools for others, the being self-sufficient when on other people's servers to the point where it becomes dangerous sometimes--I totally do that--and DEFINITELY the don't-always-blame-Willow.  Yes.

...Notorious

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloomRide    207

If you see a rare ingredient like a Koalefant Trunk or Butter in the fridge, ask before cooking/eating it. The same also kinda applies for milk and drumsticks, but to a lesser degree since they're really only useful for cooking one recipe.

Always leave spare ingredients for meatballs in the fridge in case someone is starving and needs food quickly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now