Mobs killing doydoys

Does a doydoy spawn in its set locastion when the player is in a specific range or right when the world starts?

I'm wondering because what if a doydoy spawns right when the game begins and wanders into a swamp full of those scumbag mud fish, eventually dying and the player never knowing about it?

Well, probably Doydoys are only generated on an island where there aren't any hostile mobs that can target them.

I found Doydoys alone on island or on an island with spiders (they don't target them) in multiple worlds, so that's my guess.

3 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Well, probably Doydoys are only generated on an island where there aren't any hostile mobs that can target them.

Yeah I thought this too, but I just found my first doydoy and it was right next to swamp and after staying by it to see what it would do, it began to wander off into the swamp and got poisoned. The next day I left and came back before night and saw that the doydoy had somehow pulled a mud fish from the ground and it died shortly after.

10 minutes ago, EmilioEstevez said:

Yeah I thought this too, but I just found my first doydoy and it was right next to swamp and after staying by it to see what it would do, it began to wander off into the swamp and got poisoned. The next day I left and came back before night and saw that the doydoy had somehow pulled a mud fish from the ground and it died shortly after.

9 minutes ago, Mueck said:

I'm pretty sure, one of my doydoys got killed by snakes before?

Seems like I'm lucky with their spawn place, then.

19 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

How does one even find them? It seems more hard to do than finding the Volcano/Yaarctopus.

I found 1 a few times mostly on small Jungle Islands. One thing that seems to be common on DoyDoy Islands is that there are a few witherd Grasstufts on the Island so if you see those you know a DoyDoy is near.

BTW does making the nest just create new ones? Cause i found some islands that had some feathers on them and was wondering if I i can basicly create my own DoyDoy Colony with just a few feathers to make the nest.

Just now, Mr.P said:

I found 1 a few times mostly on small Jungle Islands. One thing that seems to be common on DoyDoy Islands is that there are a few witherd Grasstufts on the Island so if you see those you know a DoyDoy is near.

BTW does making the nest just create new ones? Cause i found some islands that had some feathers on them and was wondering if I i can basicly create my own DoyDoy Colony with just a few feathers to make the nest.

There should be an easier way to track the doydoys, mainly as unlike the yaarctopus and volcano...they can die.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

There should be an easier way to track the doydoys, mainly as unlike the yaarctopus and volcano...they can die.

The difference is that the DoyDoys aren't as crucial to the game as the Yaaarctopus or the Volcano and as @rezecib said the game wont process the chunck of the world they are on as long as you are not near them so they should be fine.

I mean what do DoyDoys give you? Feathers for the Sail and Fan, free Eggs and Meat and that's really it and all of these are basicly luxury items kinda like the Belt of Hunger or the Moggles in RoG. The idea is that these items are harder to aquire yet they help you make certaint things a lot easier later on.

So really no reason to make the DoyDoy Islands more obvious i mean heck it's one of the few reasons to really explore Islands just to find the 2 to make more.

Just now, Mr.P said:

The difference is that the DoyDoys aren't as crucial to the game as the Yaaarctopus or the Volcano and as @rezecib said the game wont process the chunck of the world they are on as long as you are not near them so they should be fine.

I mean what do DoyDoys give you? Feathers for the Sail and Fan, free Eggs and Meat and that's really it and all of these are basicly luxury items kinda like the Belt of Hunger or the Moggles in RoG. The idea is that these items are harder to aquire yet they help you make certaint things a lot easier later on.

So really no reason to make the DoyDoy Islands more obvious i mean heck it's one of the few reasons to really explore Islands just to find the 2 to make more.

...You have a point. 

I've never seen a live Doydoy before.  I've found piles of feathers near snakes & spider dens, but never a live one.  You have to get lucky to find one that isn't near hostiles, and really lucky to find both of them.

It's kind of stupid, there's only two, so if you lose one that's pretty much it for that facet of the game.  Especially given that you don't get a choice in the matter, if one spawns wrong you're just screwed.  If you find the other one might as well kill it and get it over with, cuz that's all you're getting out of them.

13 minutes ago, hotflungwok said:

Actually, now that I think about it, how do Doydoys survive flood season?  Poisonous mosquitos constantly spawning all around them, no way to defend themselves.  How would last more than one season, like ever?

I guess that's somewhat the Joke i mean they are based on the Dodo after all so their inability to be able to survive even the easiest of things without player intervention what could led to their extinction might be intentional.

Also still haven't gotten an Answer so i ask again

If you make the DoyDoy Nest in the Survival Tab does it create a new DoyDoy? So you could still make new ones should they die by accident because the nest is not to taxing on the Feathers (2 per piece)

3 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

I guess that's somewhat the Joke i mean they are based on the Dodo after all so their inability to be able to survive even the easiest of things without player intervention what could led to their extinction might be intentional.

Also still haven't gotten an Answer so i ask again

If you make the DoyDoy Nest in the Survival Tab does it create a new DoyDoy? So you could still make new ones should they die by accident because the nest is not to taxing on the Feathers (2 per piece)

No, 2 doydoys must be alive in order to make new doy doys, if you have less then 2, your screwed.

Just now, SoggyNachos said:

No, 2 doydoys must be alive in order to make new doy doys, if you have less then 2, your screwed.

So whats the point of making the nest then? I mean other than maybe increase the amount of DoyDoys faster?

I really thought it was a sort of safety net should you loose a DoyDoy by accident but really why allow me to make the Nest when i see no real reason to do so

9 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

So whats the point of making the nest then? I mean other than maybe increase the amount of DoyDoys faster?

I really thought it was a sort of safety net should you loose a DoyDoy by accident but really why allow me to make the Nest when i see no real reason to do so

yeah, but having a huge safety net for something so rare is probably why the nests are only there to speed up the repopulating process.

I once had a Doydoy attacked by a snake, because the "doydoy setpiece" spawned in a very large and diversified island. I rushed to the snake and the poor bird was rescued if you want to know the whole story. It had a long life and many children (until its world was lost during the last update). The disaster was close, I was excited, but now I imagine that if it died, I would have been very disappointed by the random nature of its generation location.

I happened to let a doydoy die in my inventory. I killed the next one to get the feathers so that I can create two nests then hatch two doydoys from those. However, it seems the nest is simply empty, and I lost all possible doydoys forever. Am I right?

Archived