A Growing Empire

A Growing Empire
A fictional Don't Starve Together story. 

Willow and I journeyed for a long time until we found a good place for our base. We settled in another savanna, this one had many more beefaloes and was quite far away from the old base. I hoped this meant less people would find our settlement, but I doubted it. We built the alchemy engine we had saved before we hammered down our base, and I started building the essentials to our base. As night fell, we had an ice box, two crock pots and six drying racks. It was about halfway through autumn, and we started preparing for winter. I journeyed out to find some spiders, since we needed silk for winter clothes, but I found something else.

I discovered a duo of Wilson's, but they didn't seem very coordinated, and one of the Wilson's tried to attack me with his axe. Well, tried to. With my primitive kiting knowledge I easily defeated my attacker, who had no armour and was carrying grass and twigs. Wilson #2 probably was only spending the night beside the now small campfire of the late Wilson #1, and didn't attack me. Then he asked me if he could join my base, which I would have normally declined, but then I had second thoughts. I was hesitant to accept another stranger into my base, especially when I already had a partner, but I knew Willow had been really helpful ever since I joined forces with her. I didn't think that Wilson #2 really cared that I had rid the world of Wilson #1, so I led him back to the base. 

Dusk fell, and I introduced Wilson to Willow. In the coming days I quickly learned that Wilson wasn't so good at fighting or using the crock pot, I tried to teach him to fight, but it didn't really work out so well. We frequently came back to our base to see our fridge filled with wet goop, but I did succeed at teaching Wilson how to make crock pot food, and quickly we came back to the base at the end of a day with a fridge full of meatballs. Besides making crock pot foods, Wilson did the simple jobs, chopping trees and harvesting traps. After Willow found some spiders, she busted a tier 3 nest and brought it back to our base. Everything was going well, until Wilson decided to come exploring with Willow and I one day. 

While we were passing through a forest, Wilson spotted a group of three players, two Wickerbottom's and a Webber. They were beside three chests and some crock pots. Wilson stopped, thought for a moment, then told us he was going to raid the base. This was exactly the thing I was trying to avoid when I joined forces with Willow. I wanted to be trusted by the other players, but Wilson didn't care. I should have let him charge into the base and get himself killed, then just pretend that Willow and I didn't know him if we were questioned. But, I couldn't bring myself to do it, and I charged into the base after Wilson. He had already started attacking Webber, and the two Wickerbottom's grabbed spears and log suits from the chests. The two librarians double teamed Wilson, who would have died without his log suit. Willow charged and duelled the two Wickerbottom's, while I fought the Webber myself. 

The Webber and I had about equal kiting skill, and we danced around as Wilson ran away and Willow duelled her opponents. Willow ran over and started attacking Webber, and I charged at the Wickerbottom's. Nobody was expecting a mid fight foe swap, and it was very effective. I got a couple hits on the Wickerbottom's, and Willow killed Webber. This evened the odds of the battle, now it was two on two. We charged at our foes, both of us attacking the same Wickerbottom. Both the librarians could kite well, but we manage to eventually kill one of them. Then, since I thought the final Wickerbottom was probably quite damaged and demoralized, I tried a somewhat diplomatic solution. "Surrender or die!" I told the final Wickerbottom. I felt like a pirate saying that, but I wanted to at least seem like I was being somewhat reasonable. The Wickerbottom seriously considered her options, then she told us her terms. 

She would let us keep all the stuff from the corpses and the chests, on the condition she could keep her inventory and join our group. I private messaged Willow and we discussed the terms. I refused to let the person who we just fought join our base, I knew she would grab all our valuables and run away. But Willow wanted her to join, she told me she would keep her eye on Wickerbottom for a while. I tried to convince Willow that this was a bad idea, but she told me to trust her. Last time I trusted Willow she saved me from two bandits, so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. 

We brought her back to our base, where Wilson awaited us. Under fierce watch, we let her put some of her belongings in the chests. Then she cooked some food in the crock pot. Her activity seemed pretty normal, but we had to be watchful, she could turn on us at any minute. But, as the days passed, we stopped being so paranoid, and Wickerbottom became the base farmer. She transplanted twigs and berry bushes and made farms. With her farming books, we would never run out of food. We made plans after winter to get some bee boxes and start a honey farm. Winter soon came, and we were well prepared. Everyone has winter hats, and we had plenty of stockpiled food. But, soon things would change. 

Willow and I were out exploring, when we had a run in with a group of people. It was a group of six players. Three Webber's, two Wolfgang's and a Wigfrid. Group was an exaggeration, this was basically a mob of players with axes who banded together so they could kill anyone in their way. I figured the Webber who had a spear and a log suit was the ringleader, and the Wigfrid was probably second in command. The rest of them had axes, and both Wolfgang's were in wimpy form, so perhaps food was a problem in their group. Then the Webber with the log suit charged, and the rest of the group followed. 

We tried to fight them, but their sheer numbers were too much. We had to fall back and retreat. But, they kept chasing us. We were too far away from the base go run back, and if we didn't keep running they would catch us. I had Willow follow be into a forest, and chop a couple trees down so there was a large patch. But, if the patch was lit ablaze, it wouldn't roast the entire forest. Willow lit it on fire, and we stayed in the burning patch. This meant Webber's gang had to split up, and as Webber went into the patch first, we killed him and bolted before the entire patch lit ablaze, since most of the patch was still smouldering. With Webber dead, the group burst into chaos. Some Wigfrid and one of the Webber's ran away, but the two Wolfgang's still tried to fight. After we got a few hits on them they ran off too. But, the final brave Webber charged at us by himself, and was promptly killed by us in a stupid, avoidable death. 

We collected the spoils of our battled and headed back to our base. But, we had no silk. We used our rock supply to make everyone thermal stones, and made plans to find silk in the coming winter. We also would have to find the MacTusks and try to get a walrus tusk. Hopefully we would have a prosperous winter, but I wonder what had become of the many enemies we had made... 

Archived