Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

We disconnected to take a cig in our LAN server, clients updated on Steam (Multi-Layer thing) and now the server doesn't show up in the list... Restarting both server and client did nothing, I don't know what else I can try right now.

Edit: I had commented the following .bat line:

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit

so I guess it was preventing the server to update itself. Not sure if that makes sense, but uncommenting the line did the job here, we can reach the server from the list again.

Edited by SrJardel
Found the answer

6 hours ago, 255 said:

@KittenCanaveral: For the server that's failing with the token error, could you post the command-line you're using to start the server, and the full path to where you've placed the cluster_token.txt?

I am using this to start it, it's about the same as it was before, just with a path change.

./dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -conf_dir /home/dst/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/Master/

The token is in

/home/dst/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/

I tried adding it to all of the shard folders as well after it failed to start and I also tried having it the settings file as was recommended in the past , but it's not being seen.  this is an Linux btw

Hi guys, I have successfully started both Overland (master) and Cave server .

But here is my problem: 

the cave world is not the real cave. It is just another overland world.

Cave's server.ini :

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11001

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

id = 509661513

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8769

worldgenoverride.lua :

return {
    override_enabled = true,
    preset = "DST_CAVE",
}

Anyone helps ? Thanks ~

EDIT [FIXED]: The issue was due to copying pasting the token instead of creating the token file via terminal window and then copying that file from the documents folder. Thanks to Toni and Ginger for their help :D

Created 4 tokens now and keep getting this error on my VPS:

[200] Account Failed (6): "E_EXPIRED_TOKEN"

I've followed the instructions on the first post, even got my mate to send me a key from his machine. But no luck! 

It's definatelly getting the token files, log report (it does this twice though):

Token retrieved from: /home/dst/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/cluster_token.txt
Token retrieved from: /home/dst/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer/cluster_token.txt

Edited by haywardGB

On 2016-02-12 at 10:30 PM, V2C said:

start your dedicated servers!

Please hotfix for blocklist as when you ban people it does not add him to blocklist despite I found the new blocklist location.. According to log files as I said earlier blocklist location is ~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/blocklist.txt

This is same for adminlist.txt and whitelist.txt. When you put files to this location log file says success and it was really successful as i saw my admins starred when they joined. But problem is despite blocklist.txt blocks incoming connections that are forbidden, it does not update itself as you ban new people...

Please hotfix to this issue as i cannot see who is newly banned and these banned people will be joining the server in next server startup...

note: so yeah i banned myself (by manually adding to blocklist and restarting server) to confirm if blocklist location is correct. it is correct but problem is when you use console command or button to ban people, blocklist does not get any update which means that banned people are only temporarily banned till next system startup.

edit2: log archieve is totally broken as well... It saves empty files.

Edited by Gingerbread

33 minutes ago, CassieCroft said:

I rent a dedicated server and I can't even find a spot which lists caves in it. I have 5 cluster folders though. So confused.

hey, if you don't have any other server (if it is only one, it should be Cluster_1.. Just startup your server, and after that check log file under Cluster_1 folder. if you rent it from a professional game server provider, just send them ticket to fix your problem. or else try to do the thing I told. Cluster_1 stands for server number 1 in that particular computer.. So if you wanna have 10 dedicated servers in a single machine i guess those numbers will go up to 10..Like Cluster_10.

As far as I remember you are renting ur server from a professional game server provider. Just open up a ticket and tell them to fix the problem as soon as possible.

Edited by Gingerbread

14 minutes ago, Gingerbread said:

hey, if you don't have any other server (if it is only one, it should be Cluster_1.. Just startup your server, and after that check log file under Cluster_1 folder. if you rent it from a professional game server provider, just send them ticket to fix your problem. or else try to do the thing I told. Cluster_1 stands for server number 1 in that particular computer.. So if you wanna have 10 dedicated servers in a single machine i guess those numbers will go up to 10..Like Cluster_10.

As far as I remember you are renting ur server from a professional game server provider. Just open up a ticket and tell them to fix the problem as soon as possible.

Yeah I have opened up a ticket. It was just bad timing for me all in all. Bummer.

Hi @V2C

it's look like some options doesn't work in cluster.ini

steam_group_id = 2484474
steam_group_only = true
autosaver_enabled = true

i have also try like this:

group_id = 2484474
group_only = true
autosaver_enabled = true

and it's not loaded on the server:

About to start a server with the following settings:
  Dedicated: true
  Online: true
  Passworded: true
  ServerPort: *****
  SteamAuthPort: *****
  SteamMasterServerPort: *****
  ClanID: false
  ClanOnly: false
  ClanAdmin: false
  LanOnly: false
  FriendsOnly: false
  EnablePunchthrough: false
  EnableAutosaver: false
  PVP: false
  MaxPlayers: 16
  GameMode: endless
  OverridenDNS: 
  PauseWhenEmpty: true
  InternetBroadcasting: true
  Intent: social

EDIT: Fixed for steam group:

[STEAM]
steam_group_id = ID
steam_group_only = true
Edited by ToNiO55

tonio plz,help, im follow your tutorial for linux, but with this update I no longer understand anything. I have been following this guide in this Treand, but at the time of creating the script, being here explained in .bat, I do not understand how to create it in linux to launch the game. I tried the boot with -nullrenderer but has no effect, it creates a folder with cluster_1 present only the master. sorry fro my eng,but translate google for me..

tonio plz,help, im follow your tutorial for linux, but with this update I no longer understand anything. I have been following this guide in this Treand, but at the time of creating the script, being here explained in .bat, I do not understand how to create it in linux to launch the game. I tried the boot with -nullrenderer but has no effect, it creates a folder with cluster_1 present only the master. sorry fro my eng,but translate google for me..

I figured, you would not know even tell us how to create the equivalent of .bat script for linux? unfortunately until someone will post the guide for linux, I find myself with a rented server for three months standstill

13 minutes ago, ale2582 said:

I figured, you would not know even tell us how to create the equivalent of .bat script for linux? unfortunately until someone will post the guide for linux, I find myself with a rented server for three months standstill

Try like this

#!/bin/sh

screen -Sdm "world" bash -c './dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster Cluster_1 -shard Master'
screen -Sdm "cave" bash -c './dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster Cluster_1 -shard Caves'

It should work.. dont change your update script. keep it same and only change dst screen start scripts. If you read the tutorial over and over i am sure you will get it. takes some time i know.. I can paraphrase it like this..

beforehand server locations were like this

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/

this was for overworld shard

~/.klei/DST_Caves

this was for cave shard

now instead of that it will be like this

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/Master/

and

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/Caves/

and follow tutorial for file locations since settings.ini file of overworld server is split into 2 part and also blocklist.txt, adminlist.txt and whitelist.txt file locations are a bit different. Read alll of my posts and v2c's posts carefully. You will get how to do it.

Edited by Gingerbread

1 hour ago, ale2582 said:

unfortunately I can not understand what you say, to start my dedicated I followed step by step of tonio guide, and now they are in trouble

before doing this you have to change file locations described in V2C's tutorial. read it carefully and change file locations. ToNiO's guide is not working anymore. Because file locations file names are all changed. Try copy pasting what is being told in V2C's guide.

were they working? So this start script is going to go into the folder where your

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer

file is. After that you will run the script and it will start server.

So there are 2 shards right? one is overworld shard and other one is cave shard. old shard locations were like this

/home/username/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether

/home/username/.klei/DST_Cave

now it is all changed....

now shard file locations will be like this

/home/username/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/Master

/home/username/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1/Caves

also now there is no settings ini files instead of that these file names are server.ini

Also overworld settings.ini file is split into 2 different files one of them is cluster.ini file and other one is server.ini file.

Edited by Gingerbread
  • Like 1

FIXED: The problem with token not valid, was due to an issue with cutting pasting it through nano editor. I copied the file from my local machine using wget instead and it works fine now. 

Huge thanks to Ginger and Toni for helping me out :)

Edited by haywardGB

13 minutes ago, haywardGB said:

I was under the impression from what he said in the first post that you could call the folders whatever you liked. Here's his own example (from the first post): 

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master <-- Not Cluster_1
\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves  <-- Not Cluster_1

So what we have here is a mess that some are getting to work by shear luck and persistence and others aren't because we follow logical steps, not hit and miss. I'm glad you and others are getting this to work, but I've done everything suggested. I've even tried your layout and it still gives me the token expired error. I've tried several tokens, 2 now from a friends account. 

Poor development planning and even worse post development release. I can't believe the devs released this so undocumented! Some of the people struggling to get this working know what they're doing, Toni for one , he seems to know his linux commands and file structures inside out. If people like him are battling with it, I only assume the devs don't want your average VPs owner running a dedicated server!! 

EDIT: Setting up a game server shouldn't be this complicated. I can set up a dedicated Arma 2 server with custom mods , white listing , rcon and cron jobs in under an hour. With no issues, so long as I follow the guides (I can do most of it by memory and get no errors). I can set up and configure a VPS , configure the firewall and SSH stuff , in less than half an hour. Setting up and running a Minecraft server (which has underworld without the need for a seperate server btw) in less than 20 minutes.  So why does DST take the best part of a weekend (so far) ? 

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1$ ls
adminlist.txt  blocklist.txt  Caves  cluster.ini  cluster_token.txt  Master  whitelist.txt

so as you can see these are the files under cluster_1 of my server. Just rename server_token.txt and make it cluster_token.txt and put into the location that i showed. it should work.

9 minutes ago, Gingerbread said:

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1$ ls
adminlist.txt  blocklist.txt  Caves  cluster.ini  cluster_token.txt  Master  whitelist.txt

so as you can see these are the files under cluster_1 of my server. Just rename server_token.txt and make it cluster_token.txt and put into the location that i showed. it should work.

It is called cluster_token.txt .

The file is getting loaded, but it's not accepting the key.

I've tried the file in all the folders, like right now, the file is in every folder. A copy in each, I just wanted to make sure. But it loads it from wher its supposed to, yet it says Token expired. I know you got it working somehow, and you probably think i'm being dense. But there's only so much try this, try that, rename this, rename that, a person can do before they have to just give up and put it down to fate! 

Thanks for trying to help though, I do appreciate it :)

EDIT: Here he says to put it in this folder..

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt

But you say cluster_1 for example, later in the thread he quotes the cluster_1 folder too.. But i'm confused as are others. Which is it ? Will this documentation ever make sense? FYI:I've tried both folder names, both methods, and I'm still getting token expired error..

Edited by haywardGB

@haywardGB

maybe your token is wrong, because it's works perfectly on my all dedicated servers on Linux

maybe you use proxy or vpn?

have you checked if there is no space in the cluster_token.txt?

and how you have find your token? do you have try this:

Spoiler

Go in Play

151130064422755494.jpg

Go in account info

151130064424523321.jpg

151130064419817130.jpg

if still not working can you try also this:

if you have this error '[200] Account Failed (6): "E_EXPIRED_TOKEN"'

it's look like problem with token:

Do not simply copy and paste the contents of this file from one machine to another. Move the actual file from one machine to another.

The cluster_token.txt is a null byte terminated ASCII file (no line endings). If the GSA attempts to copy-paste the contents of the token file, the null byte will be omitted and a line ending will be appended to the end. The dedicated server software will not be able to properly parse the cluster_token.txt file in this case.

Edited by ToNiO55
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, haywardGB said:

It is called cluster_token.txt .

The file is getting loaded, but it's not accepting the key.

I've tried the file in all the folders, like right now, the file is in every folder. A copy in each, I just wanted to make sure. But it loads it from wher its supposed to, yet it says Token expired. I know you got it working somehow, and you probably think i'm being dense. But there's only so much try this, try that, rename this, rename that, a person can do before they have to just give up and put it down to fate! 

Thanks for trying to help though, I do appreciate it :)

EDIT: Here he says to put it in this folder..

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt

But you say cluster_1 for example, later in the thread he quotes the cluster_1 folder too.. But i'm confused as are others. Which is it ? Will this documentation ever make sense? FYI:I've tried both folder names, both methods, and I'm still getting token expired error..

You should not copy paste server_token.txt's content. Just take file as a whole and rename it to cluster_token.txt.. Don't go into its content, copy it and paste to a new txt file. It won't work. Also as ToNiO said, if you can share ur server_log.txt of your overworld server we can understand what is wrong.. If you generated a new token your old one might not be working anymore too..

• Like 1