Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

Hi, same issue as @JeffTheGreat,

I used to run my server without problems, now when I run it I get this message in the cmd:
"Registering master server in US lobby" and keep there for ever, the server never starts.

Is there a way to "bypass" this registration thing, or how can I make it work?

Hi community, I'm sorry if this sounds as a silly question but how do I make the server save the game after all players are disconnected? Because when I run the 'start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer' command the console just dissapears and I can't interact again with the server, and the only way I've found of shutting it down is killing the process in the Task Manager( Windows) , and then it never saves the state of the game.

I have trouble here guys. I have a multiple server setup. Moreover my slave can connect to the master but it looks like settings from the cluster.ini are not applied. 
I have this line during the startup of the server. 
 Error trying to change cluster setting (NETWORK->cluster_intention) from '' to 'cooperative' 
Error trying to change cluster setting (NETWORK->cluster_name) from '' to '[Host]'s World'
I've even connected to my server, that is surprisingly called Host's world  in the list of all servers. But still settings from my cluster.ini are ignored, because max players, game mode, server password, server name and other settings are not applied.
One more peculiar detail. My servers had refused to start up in shard mode until I added cluster_key in each server.ini of them and then master_ip and master_port in order to connect slave to master. 

I have the following file structure:

image.png.a5e8cb4e26d49b96230de5abb1acec70.png

and this startup script.

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated -shard Caves

I have this server.ini in the Master folder (I think this is a nonsense to share the analague for Caves so I only share the Master here.)

Spoiler

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11002
default_server_name = dpotenko
default_server_description = A very nice server description
server_password = ????
max_players = 4
pvp = false
game_mode = cooperative
enable_snapshots = true
pause_when_empty = true
server_save_slot = 1

[SHARD]
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 0.0.0.0
master_port = 11012
cluster_key = ??????
is_master = true
name = OVER
id = 11

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8768

And this cluster.ini

Spoiler

[GAMEPLAY]
game_mode = survival
max_players = 6
pvp = false
pause_when_empty = true

[NETWORK]
cluster_description = dpotenko
cluster_name = dpotenko
cluster_intention = cooperative
cluster_password = 

[MISC]
console_enabled = true

[SHARD]
is_master = true
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 0.0.0.0
master_port = 11001
cluster_key = ????

Edited by dpotenko

Hey, I deleted the first line in "StartDSTServers.bat" because it didn't run and the server seemed to run but then when I tried to go down the caves I got disconnected with message "Something went awry wrong while connecting, please try again." Anyone knows what went wrong?

EDIT: I found the solution, if you have the same problem go to your Firewall and add Don't Stare stuff on wishlist or put down you Net Guard

blabla.jpg

Edited by Mefitek

@albus321 For basic manual mod installation (default mods, non customized): try this

Be aware that the <DST_Server_directory> in that guide would refer to the SteamCMD you installed. If you followed the SteamCMD guide, your <DST_Server_directory> would be:

C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server

And the mod folder you'd refer to would be:

C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods

IF you don't want to use SteamCMD, I recommend this: [HowTo] Run a Dedicated Server from your PC - without SteamCMD or the Dedicated Server Tool

(After which, I'll try and look for a simple guide I made as a reply to someone before about adding mods with that guide)

Let me know which you end up using, SteamCMD or without SteamCMD or with Steam's Dedicated Server Tools.

8 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@albus321 For basic manual mod installation (default mods, non customized): try this

Be aware that the <DST_Server_directory> in that guide would refer to the SteamCMD you installed. If you followed the SteamCMD guide, your <DST_Server_directory> would be:

C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server

And the mod folder you'd refer to would be:

C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods

IF you don't want to use SteamCMD, I recommend this: [HowTo] Run a Dedicated Server from your PC - without SteamCMD or the Dedicated Server Tool

(After which, I'll try and look for a simple guide I made as a reply to someone before about adding mods with that guide)

Let me know which you end up using, SteamCMD or without SteamCMD or with Steam's Dedicated Server Tools.

I got it

thanks Sr.

@Zillvr
" Let me know which you end up using, SteamCMD or without SteamCMD or with Steam's Dedicated Server Tools. "

I'm using SteamCMD and its works. thanks again

Greetings.

I followed this guide to make my server dedicated and it works fine, but I can not make the mods functional. For 2 days I searched for solutions and none worked. 

DST Console:

loaded modindex
ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence for dedicated server.

DownloadMods(0)
Event data unavailable: lavaarena_event_server/lavaarena_achievement_quest_defs
LOADING LUA SUCCESS
 PlayerDeaths could not load morgue
PlayerHistory could not load player_history
ServerPreferences could not load server_preferences

My  files:

Under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

--There are two functions that will install mods, ServerModSetup and ServerModCollectionSetup. Put the calls to the functions in this file and they will be executed on boot.

--ServerModSetup takes a string of a specific mod's Workshop id. It will download and install the mod to your mod directory on boot.
    --The Workshop id can be found at the end of the url to the mod's Workshop page.
    --Example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=350811795
    --ServerModSetup("350811795")

ServerModSetup("362175979") --wormhole_marks
ServerModSetup("378160973") --GlobalPositionsIcon
ServerModSetup("458940297") --Food Values Item Tooltips
ServerModSetup("466732225") --No Thermal Stone Durability
ServerModSetup("543945797") --damage indicators
ServerModSetup("666155465") --Show Me
ServerModSetup("786654500") --FinderMod
ServerModSetup("1185229307") --Epic Healthbar
ServerModSetup("1595631294") --Smart minisign

--ServerModCollectionSetup takes a string of a specific mod's Workshop id. It will download all the mods in the collection and install them to the mod directory on boot.
    --The Workshop id can be found at the end of the url to the collection's Workshop page.
    --Example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379114180
    --ServerModCollectionSetup("379114180")

I have all mods folders download under the same location.

Under E:\David\Documentos\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\modoverrides.lua

return {
  ["workshop-1185229307"]={ configuration_options={  }, enabled=true },
  ["workshop-1595631294"]={
    configuration_options={ BundleItems=false, DragonflyChest=false, Icebox=false },
    enabled=true 
  },
  ["workshop-362175979"]={ configuration_options={ ["Draw over FoW"]="disabled" }, enabled=true },
  ["workshop-378160973"]={
    configuration_options={
      ENABLEPINGS=true,
      FIREOPTIONS=2,
      OVERRIDEMODE=false,
      SHAREMINIMAPPROGRESS=true,
      SHOWFIREICONS=true,
      SHOWPLAYERICONS=true,
      SHOWPLAYERSOPTIONS=2 
    },
    enabled=true 
  },
  ["workshop-458940297"]={
    configuration_options={
      DFV_ClientPrediction="default",
      DFV_FueledSettings="default",
      DFV_Language="EN",
      DFV_MinimalMode="default",
      DFV_PercentReplace="default",
      DFV_ShowACondition="default",
      DFV_ShowADefence="default",
      DFV_ShowAType="default",
      DFV_ShowDamage="default",
      DFV_ShowFireTime="default",
      DFV_ShowInsulation="default",
      DFV_ShowTemperature="default",
      DFV_ShowUses="default" 
    },
    enabled=true 
  },
  ["workshop-466732225"]={ configuration_options={  }, enabled=true },
  ["workshop-543945797"]={
    configuration_options={
      amount_of_numbers="default",
      display_mode="waving",
      dmg_only="on",
      number_size="default",
      show_decimal_points="no" 
    },
    enabled=true 
  },
  ["workshop-666155465"]={
    configuration_options={
      food_estimation=-1,
      food_order=0,
      food_style=0,
      lang="auto",
      show_food_units=-1 
    },
    enabled=true 
  },
  ["workshop-786654500"]={ configuration_options={ active=true }, enabled=true } 

Under E:\David\Documentos\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit

start "DTS CRP2 Overworld" dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start "DTS CRP2 Caves" dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

I want to have several dedicated servers. With another tutorial I could have another server with the mods activated, but following that tutorial I do not know how to have several servers.

There is some way to have different games on the same server, it would be like having several saves and changing them before starting the server.

Thanks for the help.

Hello @David506, welcome to the forums.

Your issue is very much like the issue albus321 had.

If you notice, your StartDSTServers.bat file has the following command line:

• cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"

So it's utilizing SteamCMD. So the mod files should be in SteamCMD directory too. But instead, you put your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file in:

• c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

But it should be in the following location instead:

• c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

Also you should remove the +app_update 343050 validate command in the StartDSTServers.bat file, cause that command line auto validates the dedicated server files on every start up of your StartDSTServers.bat file. When it validates, it overwrites any changes to the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file to its initial state. Which is by default, empty.

When you want to update your dedicated server files again (once new game versions are out), you should put the validate command in again but make sure to make a backup copy of your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file. Since DST auto updates when you start up, you'll have to make sure your dedicated server is also running the same game version for it to be found by the newer version of the DST client.

Lastly, I think you are missing a closing bracket for return in the modoverrides.lua file. Cause based on what I can see, the last closing bracket is only for "["workshop-786654500"]=...".

I hope that all makes sense. When it comes to having multiple servers, I think you just need to duplicate everything just make sure you are using the correct master and caves file location in your duplicated StartDSTServersNumber2.bat file. Good luck.

Edited by Zillvr
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

i want to link the server with a steam group like so:

[STEAM]
steam_group_id = 34231009
steam_group_admins = true
steam_group_only = true

but the hosting service i use regenerates the cluster.ini file on server restart :wilson_cry:

Is there any other way to link to a steam group that dosent involve the cluster.ini file?

I tried to add these setting to server.ini but that ha no effect :(

The server runs on some sort of linux VM if that helps

@Remps if you changed the default installation location for SteamCMD (which is instructed to be installed in Step 1 of this guide), then you'll also have to edit the StartDSTServers.bat file to reflect the same location change you made with your installation.

So go to your StartDSTServers.bat and edit the first part of the second line:

To the equivalent of your installation changes, so if you installed SteamCMD in "B:", then the second line in your StartDSTServers.bat should be changed to:

cd /D "B:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"

Be aware that steamCMD is not a steam client. SteamCMD is different from the Steam application where we can launch DST the client game from.

You need to install SteamCMD (installation guide here) for this guide to work. If you don't want to use or install SteamCMD, then I recommend this other guide (Run Dedicated Server from your PC without SteamCMD or Dedicated Server Tool).

Good luck.

Edited by Zillvr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@Remps if you changed the default installation location for SteamCMD (which is instructed to be installed in Step 1 of this guide), then you'll also have to edit the StartDSTServers.bat file to reflect the same location change you made with your installation.

So go to your StartDSTServers.bat and edit the first part of the second line:

To the equivalent of your installation changes, so if you installed SteamCMD in "B:", then the second line in your StartDSTServers.bat should be changed to:

cd /D "B:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"

Be aware that steamCMD is not a steam client. SteamCMD is different from the Steam application where we can launch DST the client game from.

You need to install SteamCMD (installation guide here) for this guide to work. If you don't want to use or install SteamCMD, then I recommend this other guide (Run Dedicated Server from your PC without SteamCMD or Dedicated Server Tool).

Good luck.

i'll try thanks <3