Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

Hi everyone , 

Iv been trying to set up a dedicated server , I have followed the instructions on this thread and tonio's on steam for steamcmd . I keep getting an error code with my token .

I have tried generating a token in game and clicking on account to generate one . but every time I get the same issue.

Another thing I have noticed is my StartDSTservers.bat file just seems to be a text only.

Im really confused :confused:

tokenscreenshot.jpg

2 hours ago, MissPetite said:

Hi everyone , 

Iv been trying to set up a dedicated server , I have followed the instructions on this thread and tonio's on steam for steamcmd . I keep getting an error code with my token .

I have tried generating a token in game and clicking on account to generate one . but every time I get the same issue.

Another thing I have noticed is my StartDSTservers.bat file just seems to be a text only.

Im really confused :confused:

tokenscreenshot.jpg

Originally when you create .bat file, you create .txt document, paste there alike text (except that i changed directory path in second line for my system):

Spoiler

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

and just change txt extension to bat (it changes to icon with gears), on your screenshot i see that you started StarsDSTServers.bat but in server window i can see that you have pasted invalid token. If you have done everything right, generated, copied and pasted token key properly, then i am confused too because i think you almost reached your goal. I'll ask you just in case, have you selected anewreignbeta version in Steam/library/tools/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server?

Spoiler

2016-10-03_164254.jpg

1 hour ago, PandoMish said:

Originally when you create .bat file, you create .txt document, paste there alike text (except that i changed directory path in second line for my system):

Reveal hidden contents

cd /D "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

and just change txt extension to bat (it changes to icon with gears), on your screenshot i see that you started StarsDSTServers.bat but in server window i can see that you have pasted invalid token. If you have done everything right, generated, copied and pasted token key properly, then i am confused too because i think you almost reached your goal. I'll ask you just in case, have you selected anewreignbeta version in Steam/library/tools/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server?

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-03_164254.jpg

Hi , 

thanks for the reply ,

Yes i have the beta selected in the tools menu , I started it up with cmd to get that error code ( i start both files at the same time) . I fixed the DSTservers batch file but that gets an error code even earlier . 

Im wondering I have a server running ( not dedicated) shall I move its files ( cluster4) into the MyDediServer folder? 

dst.png

Hi @ToNiO55

I managed to get it working instantly on my husbands PC ( odd) so he came home messed with some steam settings on my PC , tidied a few files and we got the server up and running.

BUT no caves . We have the 2 servers running but it shows 2 forests and the sinkholes act as wormholes. 

Master

http://pastebin.com/FDPWe98Z

Caves

http://pastebin.com/FkT8UyN7

Thanks

How do I get it to work for a dedicated server to run with the New Reign public beta? I tried this, but the server didn't start. Also, the Caves shard failed to connect to the master.

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 -beta anewreignpublicbeta +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster DraggingSurvival -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster DraggingSurvival -shard Caves

Edited by Silentdarkness1

On 10/13/2016 at 7:44 AM, PandoMish said:

A method of setting up dedicated server with "A New Reign" beta branch. Step by step on screenshots.

1. Go to Properties right-clicking on Don't Starve Together game in Steam.
  2. Choose BETAS tab and select there anewreignbeta - A New Reign public beta. All necessary updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_044912.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045004.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045011.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045043.jpg

• Next go to LIBRARY -> TOOLS and find there Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server. 
  • Install it and make the same actions which was written above.
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045313.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045335.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045348.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045403.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045602.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045634.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045643.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_045656.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_050147.jpg

• Create here txt file and rename it to StartDSTServers.
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_050243.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_050750.jpg

I changed directory path so it could find don'tstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe . You can see it on the screenshot, i marked second line there (next screenshot). You can see that this line now differs from standard given in Dedicated Quick Setup Guide - Windows (screenshot above). 

Reveal hidden contents

15.jpg

• Change it's extension from txt to bat.
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051308.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051318.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051508.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051546.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051627.jpg

• Create cluster_token.txt in MyDediServer folder;
  • Generate server token and copy/paste it in cluster_token.txt
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051822.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051848.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_051954.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_052037.jpg

• Create cluster.ini ( first create txt then change it's extension to ini. ) in MyDediServer folder and follow the prompts shown on next screenshots;
  • Judgin by current griefers tendency i would recommend to disable voting system by adding vote_enabled = false in [GAMEPLAY] section (you can see it on the next screenshot);
  • You can also set tick rate to 60 in [NETWORK] section. "Tick rate determines the quality of the server. A higher tickrate consumes more bandwidth and CPU, but can result in smooth gameplay for clients. tick_rate = 30 [ 10 | 15 | 30 | 60 ];
  • Give to your dedicated server any name you want by typing it in [NETWORK] section in line cluster_name = Typer here any server name;
  • Change server intention by typing it in this line cluster_intention = cooperative [ social | competitive | madness | ];
  • Give your server a password if you want in this line cluster_password = your password;
  • Also may change description in cluster_description = any server description
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_052859.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_053937.jpg

• Next you will need to create server.ini in Master and Caves folders. And follow given instructions in Dedicated Quick Setup Guide - Windows. Every step is shown further on the screenshots.
  • For Master folder:
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_054125.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_054412.jpg

• And for Caves folder:
  Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_054440.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2016-10-13_054626.jpg

Now i'd like to show the method of leveldataoverride.lua and modoverrides.lua "automatic" generation. In case if you want to change world presets (leveldataoverride.lua AKA modoverrides.lua) or moreover add some "All_clients_require_mods" (presets are in modoverrides.lua). You may want to use this method.

Steps to reproduce on screenshots :adoration:

Reveal hidden contents

1.jpg

• Change your world as you want:
  Reveal hidden contents

2.jpg

If you want to add some mods )

Reveal hidden contents

4.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

5.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

6.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

7.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

8.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

9.jpg

• Now we just need to copy/paste both leveldataoverride.lua and modoverrides.lua or only leveldataoverride.lua if you play without server mods from Cluster_1/Master folder (if it was 1st server slot in game during creating the server or Cluster_2,3,4,5 if it was the other slot) to MyDediServer/Master folder. And the same do with Caves folders.
  Reveal hidden contents

10.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

11.jpg

To start server you just need to left-double click on StartDSTServers.bat file.

To shut it down you need to enter c_shutdown() command in each window.

I followed the guide but nothing is really happening!! 

and your advice, but I have no idea what is happening. it says the key has expired, but I've tried twice and none has worked.

Screenshot (33).png

but the key is here....

Screenshot (34).png

also tried changing from bat to txt but nothing happened 

Screenshot (32).png

On 2/12/2016 at 5:41 AM, jasontherand said:

I have tried converting my old server over to this new world but I keep getting [200] account failed (6): "E_INVALID_TOKEN"

I first tried getting the key as described, tried making a new key using the console, and tried using the old key.

same problem here

On 2/12/2016 at 4:30 AM, V2C said:

1. Download and install SteamCMDClick here to download

2. Create three data folders for your servers:

• \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves
  Reveal hidden contents

1_folders.png

3. Start Don't Starve Together from Steam and click on the "Play!" button.

Reveal hidden contents

2_title.png

4. Click on the "Acct Info" button.

Reveal hidden contents

3_menu.png

5. Click on the "Generate Server Token" button, and copy the token into a text editor.

Reveal hidden contents

4_gentoken.png

6. Save the token file to:

• \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt
  Reveal hidden contents

5_savetoken.png

7. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini
  Reveal hidden contents

[GAMEPLAY]
game_mode = survival
max_players = 6
pvp = false
pause_when_empty = true

[NETWORK]
cluster_description = This server is super duper!
cluster_name = Super Server
cluster_intention = cooperative
cluster_password = 

[MISC]
console_enabled = true

[SHARD]
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_port = 10889
cluster_key = supersecretkey

8. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\server.ini
  Reveal hidden contents

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11000

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27018
authentication_port = 8768

9. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\server.ini
  Reveal hidden contents

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11001

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8769

10. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\worldgenoverride.lua
  Reveal hidden contents

return {
    override_enabled = true,
    preset = "DST_CAVE",
}

11. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat
  Reveal hidden contents

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

12. Checklist of all the files you should have now:

Reveal hidden contents
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\worldgenoverride.lua

13. Double-click StartDSTServers.bat to start your dedicated servers!

@V2C I really think you should explain things better... It's not very clear that you have to change the name of the server for your own... It's also not very clear that after installing the software, you also need to write "exit" and there is not really an official help to try and give a hand to people configuring this for the first time... maybe you should take a couple of minutes and really try and explain step by step what you need to do... By the way.. I'm getting the error (6)... I've changed the token 3 three times to no avail... Help!

On 10/21/2016 at 5:03 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

I followed the guide but nothing is really happening!! 

and your advice, but I have no idea what is happening. it says the key has expired, but I've tried twice and none has worked.

Screenshot (33).png

but the key is here....

Screenshot (34).png

also tried changing from bat to txt but nothing happened 

Screenshot (32).png

@FreyaMaluk

your cluster_token is in wrong path directory

your server try to loading your token here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cooperativo o chao\cluster_token.txt

and actually your cluster_token is here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherANewReignBeta\Cooperativo o chao\cluster_token.txt

so it's normal that's can't works

you need to move your cluster_token here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cooperativo o chao o\cluster_token.txt

and i think you need change the name of yout Cluster,

because it's look the server take only Cooperativo and not Cooperativo o chao

Edited by ToNiO55

13 hours ago, ToNiO55 said:

@FreyaMaluk

your cluster_token is in wrong path directory

your server try to loading your token here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cooperativo o chao\cluster_token.txt

and actually your cluster_token is here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogetherANewReignBeta\Cooperativo o chao\cluster_token.txt

so it's normal that's can't works

you need to move your cluster_token here:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cooperativo o chao o\cluster_token.txt

and i think you need change the name of yout Cluster,

because it's look the server take only Cooperativo and not Cooperativo o chao

I followed your guide on Steam.. Very useful by the way... :) I didn't know I had to include the extension for the beta.... Thank you for that Info :)

Just one question, my server on the ping values has these question marks "???"... Why is the ping value not showing? What am I doing wrong? My internet connection is actually pretty good... So I really don't know what the problem might be... if there is a problem related to optimization or something else

Edited by FreyaMaluk

8 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I followed your guide on Steam.. Very useful by the way... :) I didn't know I had to include the extension for the beta.... Thank you for that Info :)

Just one question, my server on the ping values has these question marks "???"... Why is the ping value not showing? What am I doing wrong? My internet connection is actually pretty good... So I really don't know what the problem might be... if there is a problem related to optimization or something else

i think it's because you need open port on your router

• Like 1

On 2/11/2016 at 10:30 PM, V2C said:

11. Copy and save the following text to:

Hide contents

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Could a note please be added to this to remove the validate option after initial setup if you intend to use mods because it will overwrite the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modsettings.lua files during validation.  Include that validate should be added again if you think that the installation has become corrupt, but at the risk of having to setup those files up again for the mods.

I just encountered this issue and it seems like others may have encountered it as well, so a note should help mitigate that. :)

Edited by DoISeeColor
  • Like 2

this was not helpful at all. for example, besides getting the error  E_INVALID_TOKEN no matter what I do, it still doesn't explain some things, like the bind ip, the authentication port, what does what, I just don't get it. I wanted a dedicated server but apparently I can't have one because it's only for pros at coding. thank you Klei.