What's the best Character to play?

Wigfrid is really good, not only for the player himself (damage multiplier, innate armour) but also for your team mates (you can craft the spear and helmet for them). Her problem is hunger management, making her not really good for a beginner (my friend died many times of starvation.

for a beginner I would suggest Wendy: Her damage down is heavily compensated by Abigail who is really powerful thanks to her AoE attack. 

Wilson is the best to first learn the game. His default stats will help to avoid getting bad habit (such as jumping into any group of Spiders because of Abigail) and his easy access to Meat Effigy help to survive longer.

Wolfgang if you want to make fight easier but survival harder. You have to be more careful with his Hunger than any other characters but he can win almost any fight with a Ham Bat + Log Suit without even kiting.

Wickerbottom has the most interesting gameplay as her books open plenty of new possibilities.

Wes is the best if you want a challenge.

Finally Wigfrid is ideal if you do not like making big base and want to be more nomadic, living on Raw/Cooked Meat and fighting all day long.

I use Wickerbottom and Wendy.

Wickerbottom because she has an great advantage in early game. (and late game too) I don't care the insomnia, You can get cactus and recover your sanity. And the stale and spoiled food aren't a problem.

Wendy because she has Abigail, who can help you If you are outnumbered by various spiders, bees and hounds. This compensates the lack of strenght. And her slow drain can be useful if you like explore caves, Someone told me Abigail do full damage on caves (This is true?).

Just now, Neutral_Steve said:

Someone told me Abigail do full damage on caves (This is true?).

Yeah, Abigail does 4x damage during night, and caves are permanent night. At least in singleplayer they are; I'm only 90% sure that thats true in multiplayer too. Either way, because of her slower sanity drain, she is basically the perfect caving character.

4 hours ago, Snowhusky5 said:

Yeah, Abigail does 4x damage during night, and caves are permanent night. At least in singleplayer they are; I'm only 90% sure that thats true in multiplayer too. Either way, because of her slower sanity drain, she is basically the perfect caving character.

Are you sure caves are permanent night? Red, green, and blue mushrooms sprout at different times. Bunnies return tof their houses when red mushrooms sprout or fall asleep.

The ruins on the other hand are permanent night. Blue caps are sprouted indefinitely. 

• Developer
2 minutes ago, Moon64 said:

Are you sure caves are permanent night? Red, green, and blue mushrooms sprout at different times. Bunnies return tof their houses when red mushrooms sprout or fall asleep.

Yeah, you can still see the rays of the sun coming into the cave from some small holes/fissures in the ceiling when it's day/dusk.

I'll be honest, I laughed when I first saw the title of this post. I wouldn't say any character is explicitly better or worse than another (other than Wes, who is way OP). Each character's playstyle is so distinct, I think it would be unfair to say one is better or worse. Personally, I prefer Wickerbottom for the tech level, sanity capacity, and books.

'Best' character? Depends on the player. The game itself is simple enough that, with enough proficiency as a player, you'll do just fine (or better) with any of them.

I prefer Willow because I think her commentary is adorable, her character design is my favorite, and because she's a relatively neutral character. She doesn't have any amazing abilities, but there's also no 'catch' that would result in her sometimes being a poor character, like Wolfgang can be when he's poorly nourished. I tend to prefer characters like this in almost any game I play, because it means that I HAVE to learn how to play the game itself, before learning to play any specific character (hopefully that makes sense).

I also like Wilson for this reason, and he's the only character I regularly play as when not playing Willow. I've tried out every character, but most of them don't interest me enough to merit more frequent use. Willow and Wilson fit my playstyle best, and though they may be considered elementary/beginner, they can be just as good as anybody else if you play them right.

I like to pick my character based on what characters have already been picked in the server to maximise my usefullness to the team. If there is no wickerbottom I'll go wicker. If there's a wicker but no wigfrid ill go wigfrid. If both those slots are taked then if theres no wilson ill go wilson. Sometimes I even go webber or woodie on a whim. This kinda character picking stratedgy can backfire if the person who was wickerbottom just up and leaves, then we have no wicker.

Wigfrid is the easiest. Don't have meat and you're lazy? One monster meat and 3 ice/berries will fill your belly. Ridiculous starting gear, increased damage dealt, 25% damage resistance. Free food on start if... you don't want to play for the first few days. HP and Sanity regen on hit. Zero preparation needed. Join a game and wreck your enemies.

If you want to actually have fun though, pick other character. Don't like playing with other people in a multiplayer game? Pick Webber.

If you'd like to stick for longer in one world and can survive with no problems, pick WX or Wickerbottom. They are also the best character combo in the game.

Wes if you want a bit of challenge, Willow for easy summer, Woodie for no wood shortage, Wilson if you're new, Wendy for AOE.

Or Maxwell if you're from the future.

Edit: Forgot about Wolfgang. If you know what you're doing and have some experience, pick him. Dayum, he's fun.

Here is my personal difficulty list, from Easiest to Hardest.  

Wigfrid: Go to spiders, kill spiders, cook monster meat, eat it (-3 health), kill spiders to restore lost health and sanity.  Repeat as long as you wish.  Since you start with weapons, armor, and the ability to craft them, it's a great way to learn how combat in the game works.

Wickerbottom: Starts with all Science machine recipes and can access Alchemy Engine recipes with a science machine.  This is great for getting a feel with all the different things you can craft and build.  Most new players never use sleeping anyway, so you probably won't notice it isn't there.  For the most part, we usually only use tents anyway.  Additionally, if you like the way wickerbottom plays, explore her book options, the "Applied Horticulture" book lets you instantly refill berry bushes, grow plants, grow trees, etc in an AOE around her.

Willow: Starts with a lighter which is essentially a very long lasting torch, the lighter can be used to cook food so you don't need to spend time setting up a campfire, and can make exploring early in the game much easier than the other characters.  Raising sanity is about as simple as cooking  green mushrooms, or standing near a fire.  Also drop the bear when your insane and it will distract nightmares for you.

WX-78: Essentially plays just like wilson, except slightly lower stats than normal (Which can be upgraded with gears), has no beard and suffers slightly in wetness.  However, lightning becomes a good thing for you, and if you spend enough time finding gears in tumbleweeds, you'll have the highest stats in the game (Except damage).  Also, you never have to worry about how stale food is, it always counts as Green for him.

Wilson: Don't underestimate wilson's beard when it comes to winter time, with his beard and a winter hat (or beefalo hat) you'll never have to worry about freezing ever again.  Also you can shave it when your done to get a meat effigy, much easier source of beard hair compared to killing beardlings.

Webber: Find a spider forest and survive until they spawn a queen.  When a hound attack starts, recruit 1 spider and attack a single hound, now hound attacks are effortless.  All you need to worry about are nightmares, because Webbers sanity sucks.  Also, getting pigskins going to be a little difficult, so have other players get it for you.

Wendy: You have a combat penalty (0.75x) so you should have abigail do most of the fighting, thankfully she's amazing at dealing with hounds and spiders with her AOE attack.  If she dies you can get her back by simply killing anything as simple as a single spider or even a butterfly.  The combat penalty means you can't kill rabbits with a boomerang, so there's that. 

Woodie: New woodie's werebeaver feels weak at first glance, but it's actually amazing for it's new functionality.  You never need to worry about running out of tools, just use lucy on a tree and go beaver, you can chop trees, shovel saplings, break rocks, hell you can even destroy treeguards pretty quickly with the rapid attack speed.  Also, you don't overheat or freeze as a werebeaver (I think) so it's a good escape from the potential threat of the season.  The only obvious downside is the sanity loss, but once you return to Woodie (By eating logs on the ground) you can just restore your sanity by planting acorns and pinecones (Which you will have MILLIONS of).  Also, woodie gets a bonus whenever he recruits a follower (Like a pigmen), the "Celebrates thanksgiving early" means that when he recruits a follower, they stick with woodie longer.

Wolfgang: Wolfgang has a 2x-3x hunger drain if your in normal-mighty form.  This means you should NOT eat food unless your meaning to fight something immediately, that amount of hunger drain will turn you into a food vacuum if your not careful.  On top of that, you suffer a higher sanity drain from night time and monsters, so expect to be insane more often than normal.  Consider playing Wolfgang like you would wendy except without abigail, utilize traps on spider dens, gather lots of filler for meatballs.  Once you get a good engine of food going you'll wreck, until then it's rough sailing.

Wes: The greatest of all characters, the most powerful of all characters, and the most frightening of all characters (A MIME!!!)

In reality though, wes has intentionally lower stats in every area and increased hunger drain, he's built for the hardcore player seeking a challenge.  The balloons are fun to play with though.

My personal favorite character is Wolfgang due to my extreme enjoyment with his hunger mechanic.  His stacked deck of weakness's make him feel more challenging than the other cast so I find extra enjoyment in that respect

On 1/27/2016 at 1:55 PM, Moon64 said:

The ruins on the other hand are permanent night. Blue caps are sprouted indefinitely. 

On 1/27/2016 at 1:58 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Yeah, you can still see the rays of the sun coming into the cave from some small holes/fissures in the ceiling when it's day/dusk.

Resurrecting this thread because I tested it and yes, caves/ruins are considered permanent night according to Abigail; she 3-shots spiders no matter which mushrooms are active.

Also, fun fact: she can take out a depths worm without any help, because she can attack it even when it is underground.

• Developer
5 minutes ago, Snowhusky5 said:

Resurrecting this thread because I tested it and yes, caves/ruins are considered permanent night according to Abigail; she 3-shots spiders no matter which mushrooms are active.

Huh, I knew the Ruins used some nightmare cycles as day, dusk and night, though I thought the caves took day, night and dusk into consideration as well, mainly because of the NOSLEEPCAVEDAY (or whatever the order/string is, I don't remember it perfectly right now) strings in character speech files. My bad :p

Nice fun fact, btw. I'll certainly try to remember that in my next Wendy run.

Death to those worms!!

14 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

caves took day, night and dusk into consideration as well

They do, but they have their own version of it, they have cavenight, caveday, and cavedusk.  But it's always regular night down there.  So stuff that relates to night time will always treat it as night time down there, such as character specific stuff like the abigail thing mentioned.  The reason I know this is because I'm working on a mod character who has a weakness at night.  But that weakness being active 24/7 in caves was a problem so I had to look into a solution.

Depends on my mood. 

Do I want to watch the world burn?- Abigail

Do I want a good start early game- Wickerbottom

Do I want to look pretty and have an ally up my sleeve?- Wendy

Do I want to hulk out?- Woodie. 

Do I want to shut up and stop making annoying musical noises?- Wes

Do I just wanna play?- Wilson

Mostly though I use Wendy, Wickerbottom and sometimes Abigail just because fire is so pretty. 

1. Wickerbottom - she was my last character to play with. For some reason I never wanted to use her, but when I finally did I had my best run. Her huge sanity pool is great and the books are fun to play with. 

2. Webber - eating monster meat with no downside makes food EASY. And hey, who doesn't want an army of spiders fighting for them?

3. Wes - working so hard to find him makes playing with him that much sweeter. More challenge is always fun too.

4. WX-78 - easiest character imo. Once he is fully upgraded he is kinda boring. But the first time I beat adventure mode was with him so I have to show him some love.

5. Woody - his endless axe is very useful. Also his beaver form can do a lot of the dirty work if you manage it right.

6. Wilson - just a normal guy with an awesome beard. I used to play with him all the time but now I'm kinda tired of him.

7. Wolfgang - his mighty form is great for fighting but it seems like my fridge is always empty when I'm playing with him. Would rather use someone else most of the time.

8. Maxwell - sanity is awesome but his tiny health pool annoys me. Still he is great for exploring caves... As long as you're wearing armor.

9. Wigfrid - very powerful character and great if you're looking to fight a lot.. but I just don't like her much. She is so easy but her voice and refusal to eat any veggies are turn offs.

10. Willow - her lighter is cool.. but I really don't appreciate her trying to burn down the base when she gets a little spooked. 

11. Wendy - much better on computer than console, and I play on console most of the time. 

I don't think any character is objectively "the best", they've got different specialties but are about equally good overall. (Except Wes, but that's the point of him.) So it depends on how you like to play, what kind of server you're entering, and who else you're playing with. I like to play Wilson, Wendy, and Webber the most, but more for their flavour and personality than any particular gameplay reason.

I play as Woodie if I have to start in winter or late autumn on a public server, because even though Wilson's beard is ultimately better for winter survival it doesn't grow fast enough to help you survive immediately if you're dumped right into the cold. Woodie has a small but constant amount of beard insulation. And he brings his own axe, so you don't have to hunt down a few precious flints in the picked-over spawn area before you freeze to death from not being able to get logs. These are short-term considerations, but a lot of the time I only end up playing one session on any given public server anyhow.

11 hours ago, LadyD said:

Depends on my mood. 

Do I want to watch the world burn?- Abigail

Do I want a good start early game- Wickerbottom

Do I want to look pretty and have an ally up my sleeve?- Wendy

Do I want to hulk out?- Woodie. 

Do I want to shut up and stop making annoying musical noises?- Wes

Do I just wanna play?- Wilson

Mostly though I use Wendy, Wickerbottom and sometimes Abigail just because fire is so pretty. 

So you hate Wigfrid, then.  

EVERYBODY, YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST!  MODS ARE BIASED AGAINST WIGFRID!

....totally kidding.  <3

Archived