Terms of Service

iam6ft7in

Your terms of service needs to be fixed or posted.

I received the following message when presented with acknowledging the terms of service but trying to read them first.

"The requested page "/blog/terms-of-service/" could not be found."

Hm, I thought something was odd when I was never asked to agree to any terms of service when I bought the game. Still haven't. Let's have a look.

What.

No. Hell no, even. I'm not agreeing to this. Let me count the ways:

P. 3: I'm not allowed to name your company or the game whose ToS I'm describing, apparently. Fortunately, I did not agree to the ToS, so I feel obliged to explain that I'm talking about Don't Starve.

P. 4: You reserve the right to disable my account for.. any reason whatsoever, with no recourse. Leaving aside that I don't think that would stand up in court, it makes a mockery of the notion that I've "bought" the game, given that there's no way to download it.

P. 11.1: I may not in any way hack the game? It's a single-player game, you're removing a lot of my entertainment. Fine, whatever, no mods for you. "Disable" the game, though? Um.. does SIGSTOP count? I honestly don't know how to read this. You should define your terms.

P. 11.7: No immediate objections, except.. "Cancelbot"? It's been simply ages since I've used usenet. Huh. Well, this makes me think you're copying an old ToS you found on a road somewhere.

P. 11.11: Again, single-player game, I don't see how my keyboard setup is any of your business. The only one I'd be cheating is myself. Should I read this to imply that it will be multiplayer in the future?

P. 11.12: I'm not allowed to swear out loud if I lose? Yes, yes, that's a silly reading.

P. 13: You're giving yourself a blank check to pass my PII to the sleaziest private eye you can find. This does not make me happy, although it wouldn't be enough in itself, given that you don't *have* any of my PII. Except you're also obliging me to provide whatever information you ask for. No. You're not an infovore, limit yourself.

P. 14: Theoretically impossible! And very problematic. These types of clauses are why I don't like to play multiplayer games. Given that chrome apps are sandboxed, the only way I can read this is that you intend to break out of the sandbox in order to monitor the base OS.

P. 24: No, I do not agree that you may install arbitrary third-party software on my computer, ever. Especially since the only reason to do so appears to be as a minefield, seeing as I am not allowed to run it. This is very reminiscent of Sony.

Well, since I'm not going to agree to this, I expect that at whatever point I see a ToS dialog box I'll have to stop playing. That being the case, I'll probably have to ask for my money back. I hope you'll manage to replace it with something less generic and more sane first, though.

The OP in this thread was actually about a website error for the Terms of Service.

The TOS was written pretty early before the complete operating plan for Don't Starve was established. Much of the wording in it is meant to cover the game regardless of how we operated.

For example, if players were to compete against each other in Don't Starve, we need to make sure people aren't altering the system to cheat. Or if Don't Starve was developed as a subscription game, we might need to implement hacking protection tools.

As such, we have provisions that ask that the player not disable those tools as well as provide us the ability to pass information to those tools as well as monetization systems or any other third party system that tends to be involved in the operation of an online game.

These were concerns that we had very early in the game, before it was ultimately decided to be what it is today. However, having worked on many, many online games in the past, I don't see anything in our terms of service that is any different than any MMO or game played online.

That being said, I have stated previously that we will be making adjustments to the TOS for this exact reason.