A Tale of Two Webbers

A tale of two Webbers

I logged into a server (it had just restarted because everybody died), and began gathering. Playing as Webber, I was alone on the server for about a day then people began logging on. By this time I had found a secure location for a small base. It was a rock biome, with spider nests everywhere, perfect for repelling unwanted guests (it was a PVE server).

The icing on the cake was the only way to get to this rocky wasteland was to cross a desert with the lava pools that spawn the dragonfly (and there was a dragonfly), and near the end of the desert were hound mounds. I began gathering resources, mining rocks and learning science recipes with my alchemy engine. I even went to a swamp and got a birdcage, still nobody even came close to my base. I lived off monster meat I got from causing massive spider wars, silk and spider glands for healing were plentiful.

This secluded little wasteland had a couple disadvantages though, there was no grass or twigs, and the closest source of wood was lumpy trees. Anytime I wanted something like grass, I had to cross the desert. I had a couple close calls, one with the dragonfly after it started chasing me, and one when I got chased by a hound after escaping from the dragonfly (I was saved by a Wendy though).

But, one day, I saw a treeguard wandering the rocky land, it wasn't aggro'ed on me, so I though he must have been chasing somebody, then I saw Webber. All he had equipped was an axe, but I assumed that he couldn't be trusted and warned him not to touch my stuff. He said he had a treeguard chasing him and needed help. I was quite skeptical of him, but with the spiders I quickly killed the treeguard. After picking up the living logs I went back to my base. The Webber followed me, and asked if he could live with me. I accepted him, even though I didn't really trust him, I still wanted to be nice.

He said he was going to gather grass and make a tent, I gave him some silk and I began making drying racks. He'd been gone a while and I asked where he was, he said he was in the desert. Oh no. He meant the desert with the dragonfly and hound mounds, although I didn't realize this until I saw the death message; Webber was killed by hound. I rushed to the desert and quickly found his corpse, beside a picked grass, he'd been killed from behind by a hound. I told him in chat I was near his corpse and he arrived, I revived him. But then I heard the growing. My character announced: "Doggies are coming!". I told him hounds were coming, and we quickly rushed back to the base, hoping to lure the hounds into the spiders. Night fell while we were running, I pulled out a torch and he withdrew a lighter looted from a dead Willow. The hounds began chasing us while we were about halfway to the base, in the pitch black darkness. My torch ran out, but I ran up to Webber and used the light from his lighter. We arrived at the nests, everything went as planned, the hounds died and we went back to the base. He built the tent, and I went to gather sticks where I had to log off.

Not the greatest ending in the world, but I learned that not everybody is out to get you. Sometimes you just need to give them a chance.

Archived