Who would be interested to work on a big mod

This topic is just to be seen as an information for me who of you would want to work on a bigger project. Development at earlyest will start after the DLC hits (most likely some weeks after the DLC) since it adds offical suport for modding.

So lets start. Several persons (namely I and Cyberboy) decided that it would be a cool thing to work on a big enhancement mod like Captains Edition for FTL. To keep things short, a group modding would be a special experience for all and would make II even better than it currently is.

While there arent any official plans as of yet (I have my own trough), you can say you a generaly intrested. You dont have to work on it later if you change plans, but every helping hand is appreciated. If you are intrested, please fill in the following

Username: (obv. reason)

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): (II is later updateted on GoG and Humble, but with a more stable version)

In which way could I help: (coder, organizer, designing, balancing, video making etc. everything which could be useful)

Experiences: (have you wrote in Lua before?, have you already created a II mod? have you worked on a mod with multiple persons? etc. this makes it easier for us to coordinate work)

Other stuff I want to add:

Example for a filled one

Username: Human_Kirby

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): Steam, maybe GoG in the future

In which way could I help: coder, organizing, item and gameplay designing. I also can help newcomers to get into II modding

Experiences: started Lua with II modding. Created several smaller II mods aviable to the public, as well as bigger, private ones (Im designing a big one right now, most likely add most from its stuff to this project). Im also the person behind the master modlist and part of the modding community since the start.

Other stuff I want to add which is relavent to this: Nothing, at least not now.

The project will most likely be organized with a site like Github and its own forum (some knows a good free one or has the time and pacience to run a forum). I hope to see some of the veterans of the forum to work on :grin: .

You can also tell us about you awesome ideas in this topic, go ahead:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58284-major-game-overhaul-suggestions-and-ideas/

This topic will be extented soonish.

Hey, I just saw this and was like "why not?"

Username: RyanandLink

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): I use the Steam version of Don't Starve.

In which way could I help: I can draw a bit, and I've been practicing the Don't Starve art style alot lately. Here's a picture of Wigfrid I drew not too long ago:

5ex07Lr.png?1

Experiences: I have tinkered a bit with lua, but its nothing special, just minor tweaks (stuff like tweaking Meat Effigy debuff). I haven't written a mod before either. 

Other stuff I want to add: Nothing for now.

[EDIT]: Oh... That's akward. I didn't see that this was in the Invisible, Inc. forums... Sorry!  :oops:

Added myself for reference:

Username: Cyberboy2000

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): Steam

In which way could I help: Coding. Anything regarding item/program/enemy design. I'll also happily help newcomers and others who need help

Experiences: I have experience with several different types of modding, and have good experience coding and designing games in GM. II was my first introduction to lua and I have since then made several smaller mods, my most recent and biggest one being Challenging enemies mod, that will most likely be implemented into this project. I also have many unreleased experiments regarding unique items that can easily be implemented into this project.

Other stuff I want to add which is relavent to this: Nothing right now

I also want to tell everyone that you don't have to be part of the project to help, anyone can leave their suggestions for what they think should be in the game. Leave your suggestion in this forum post here:http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58284-major-game-overhaul-suggestions-and-ideas/

Heck yeah!

I don't know much lua, but an object oriented, functional programming language? sounds similar to python except for the fact its main data format is lists. If I could be explained the more specific details on the language I could get the hang of it in no time.

Username: Caischcer

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): Steam

In which way could I help: coder,  item and gameplay designing, balancing.

experiences:  I created the plastech modded mk II (with a LOT of help, not going to lie) and have some experience in object oriented and functional programming. my main language is python although I do read and write some php, javascript, basic html, basic C (normal C) and basic batch scripts. summarizing I am an advanced wannabe programmer.

I have never worked in a programming team but I do understand the importance of good communication and commenting your scripts. I am very enthusiastic to experience what it is to code in a semi-profecional team and I want to help develop invisible inc into a game everyone can enjoy.

Other stuff I want to add which is relavent to this: A while ago I proposed extending the list of reverse daemons in a mod I was thinking of calling the "aengels vs daemons mod" unfortunately I ran into balancing issues, testing was difficult, I did not have much time to code, and I did feel like I knew lua. I ended up deciding I should wait for the game to get the moding API before continuing the development of my mod.

It is not, however the only mod I have thought of. I have thought of turning the courrier into a semi agent, adding special grenades to the nanofabs (like emp, lethal, scan) and having the guards dropping special grenades depending on its corp, rebalancing the way guards start spawning after day 5 (an idea that has been talked about earlier referring to how after a few days corps no longer spawn their exclusive corps but only omnis), I have also thought of rebalancing agents, specifically decker, shalem and modded peddler (I have a topic on how to rebalance decker, I also briefly talked about shalem there, and I plan of giving peddler an augment that lowers the cost of ALL augments and items that use PWR -2, rebalancing his scan greneda by making it  a 3 PWR per use item so that if peddler uses it, its a 1 PWR item)

I have thought of giving guards special traits that are coded but never used in the game, hidden among the lines of code from the game. I also would like to balance plastech to make it more enjoyable (although klei already fixed almost everything) and add the modded mk II. Recently I have been experimenting with some endless run settings that I like to call the realistic difficulty, in which every action that rises alarm increases it by a whole alarm level with the exception alarm does not auto increase.

I have been trying to find a way in which while you don't disturb any guard the alarm does not auto increase but once you KO one or once they see something that is obviously not normal (like waking up after been KO'd, although it doesn't increase alarm the guard now knows someone is in the building, though it doesn't know where) the alarm will start auto increasing and every alarming action will increase the alarm with a x5 modifier.

I have also thought that maybe an "old school" corp could be added on the game basing it on the old pre alpha models of invisible inc and its music from its alpha (dang that music was awesome and so catchy) 

I have some other ideas that I have written down but right now I don't have them at hand but if you wish to hear them I can tell you.

Eh, why not. Time to stop lurking.

Username: TwoStarve

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): I own the Steam version.

In which way could I help: Organizing, Balance, and Concepts.

Experiences: I've created an Invisible Inc. mod before, it was a weapons mod. It wasn't anywhere near spectacular, but if I had put more time into it, I think I could've done much better.

Other stuff I want to add: I'm only available on weekends. Weekdays are far too busy.

[EDIT]: I'd love to run a forum for this mod, if it was needed.

Username: JimThePea

Which version do I use: Steam

In which way could I help: Graphic design, direction, concepts.

Experiences: I'm a professional graphic designer with experience in creative direction, typography, filmmaking, illustration, animation and some other things. I've already created several program and daemon icons for Invisible Inc. and I've pretty much got the style down, small icons, UI elements should be a cinch, environment artwork I think I could handle too though that's obviously more time consuming, basically anything 2D, would struggle with character portraits but would be willing to have a try. I've come up with ideas for bits and pieces for the game in the past too (who hasn't?).

I realise a lot of artworking comes in after the coding and testing has been done with placeholder assets, but I still have art direction skills that could be utilised earlier in the conceptual stages. I can do weekday evenings and weekends.

Username: MadDoctor5813

Version: Steam

Ways I could help: Coding, ideas

Experience: I don't know if anyone here remembers, but I made an extractor for the game's .kwad format, though that was in C#. I've also done various other things, mostly in C++. When it comes to lua, I'm not too advanced, but I feel I can learn, considering I have experience in other languages.

Username: (obv. reason)

KidneyBeanBoy

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): (II is later updateted on GoG and Humble, but with a more stable version)

Steam

In which way could I help: (coder, organizer, designing, balancing, video making etc. everything which could be useful)

Mostly mundane things like testing, balancing/design or writing strings. I don't really have much time for anything else due to IRL shenanigans/my involvement with CITD (Though honestly I can't even come close to emulating II's artstyle so that doesn't really change much.)

EDIT: I also have the ability to change select values and strings in LUA, if that is in any way useful.

Experiences: (have you wrote in Lua before?, have you already created a II mod? have you worked on a mod with multiple persons? etc. this makes it easier for us to coordinate work)

Well, I've worked on multiple Don't Starve mods as a writer, tester and artist, but as far as Invisible goes I'm pretty new. I did manage to get META_HACKING, though, if that proves anything.

Username: LazerHawkins

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): GoG

In which way could I help: Voice acting and narrative design (in case you were thinking of expanding the campaign with more fleshed out characters).

Experiences: I have had my writing published in two anthologies and have experience with broadcasting live radio.

Other stuff I want to add: I bought the game just a week ago and have already fallen head-over-heels in love with it. I've seen many mods with excellent design, coding and balancing, but a lack of talented writing and voice acting, so I'd love to do my part to make this mod a must-have.

I'm currently studying for my IB exams, so I'll have a large amount of free time in 4-5 months. Otherwise I can write and produce soundbites every now and again.

Username: "cphoenix" here and on GitHub.

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): Steam (on OS X 10.11 or Windows 10)

In which way could I help: Code, bug squishing, balancing, testing, and maybe a little input on design, all of that time permitting (sometimes I work six days a week and what little time I do have outside work often gets gobbled-up by other things).

Experiences: Never worked on a mod with multiple people, but have dabbled with Lua before (primarily ComputerCraft from Minecraft but other stuff too), and Civ:BE's SDK. Mostly I've done Python, Java, and bash shell scripting. I'm studying programming part-time now and Java is the language of choice for those courses (so I've worked with git before, and I know the more basic programming rules like wet vs. dry and such, and at the very least you can expect lots of clear comments). I just need to get a better handle on Invisible Inc.'s mod API and how all those Lua scripts play with each other.

Other stuff I want to add: As I noted above it's all time-permitting. I may not be able to contribute a lot but I could poke my head in a git repo and look at bugs that need fixing, help implement a feature or part of one, or the like.

Is this off the ground yet? Let's get to work!  :eagerness: I've got lots of time, and this is my major focus right now already, so I could help in a major way.

Username: invscribe

Which version do I use (GoG/Steam/Humble): GoG

In which way could I help: Pick and choose: directorconceptualizer, coordinatorcoder, UI design, overall framework expansion, audio production / music / sound fx / recording / sourcing; if we can figure that out, more if DLL is possible.

Experiences: I was also introduced to lua a month ago because of Invisible Inc. I have been coding mods for Invisible Inc almost every day nonstop for that month, and have looked into many methods of getting things done. I have been scripting and programming in various languages for over 19 years for personal enjoyment, so the existing lua code in Invisible Inc is simple for me to understand. I have working-knowledge of C# and have released my work via invscribe dot com if you want examples. No formal training (the internet is an amazing resource for learning).

Other stuff I want to add:

I already have big plans to release a set of mods as one package that would completely upgrade the game, and I have implemented many of these plans already in my personal build. My release would include an installer script (already beta) which is intended to be released as a hard mod and soft mod installer for all Invisible Inc modders. It can provide a framework for rule-sets that can prevent the breaking of official code, even if the scripts are changed through an upgrade or official DLC; unless they are changed significantly enough to be unrecognizable by context patch.

I have developed a working knowledge of the scripts involved. I know a trick to make UI changes without modifying Klei kwads, and have 5 beta-stable mods, 1 beta mod, 1 alpha mod, 2 agents, a few unique items, a few unique augments. Plans. Lots of plans. Note that I do not do anything more than basic graphics, so graphics are all recycled where applicable.

I am currently working on:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/60954-nanofab-and-cyberlab-suggestions/

In addition to myself, I think this project needs 3 things to make Invisible Inc into something beyond amazing:

1. People who will work on graphics.

2. Experienced Lua coders. We need people who know lua well enough to know what is going to work in this context and what won't. I have only gotten stuck when it came to using DLLs (is it even possible with Invisible Inc?) and when it came to audio (I think the fmod playback is locked to SpySociety, even when using your own fev's and kwads, but it might be my lack of knowledge of FMod Designer and/or the implementation used by Klei. http seems to be locked also, so I can't use a localhost server either. Being a sound guy, this is big on my list. 

3. Klei. We need Klei's cooperation in getting some of the unexposed functions exposed. Getting a list of exposed function defs would also be very helpful.

Collaboration with you guys or Klei or others or all right now would be the perfect timing for me, and if given the right conditions, I would happily add my mods and experience to the repertoire

Respond ASAP. My feet are already on the ground on this one.

To be honest, recently I have not had much time nor the interest to make big mods because of A school starting this week and B me trying to get into game development. That's why I haven't been very active on the forum or updating my mods.

That doesn't mean I am no longer engaged in this project, it's just not my top priority. If HumanKirby wants to start right now I am ok with that and I will jump back onto it as soon as I get the interest back.

Well, to shortly descripe it from my point, I want this project going, but there are several problems irl listed below:

- I have been and still am sick for half a month now and since I still go to school I missed a month of "work", including 3 class test (but I finished 2 of them) and 3 test

- I still have 4 weeks school and then will be 2 weeks in england where i do not have a powerful computer

- Im still ill and evertime I coded something in this phase it got really messy

- I am not into the full functionality of the modloader since I was ill that long

So, currently the only possible thing I can contribute is designing things and kind of organizing the project, but not really coding. I guess it would be possible someone just starts it. But I guess I could start some (public) planing within the next week(s) if its demanded. And take it easy, its an experiment with an result that could be awesome. ;)

Then if it is OK with you two, I would like to start a new topic since I'm currently already producing a big mod project and would like to manage it. Obviously, if either of you would like to contribute existing or new code that you want to see implemented, you two are pre-approved.

Archived