A Tale from a Family Adventure

Recently, in an attempt to bring my family closer together, I introduced Don't Starve Together to my father (who doesn't really play video games.) It seemed to really strike off with him, and we ended up opening a 3-player survival world where I picked Webber and my father picked Wilson. (My brother joined later, as Wigfrid.) Together, we did some exploration, went through a wormhole, and found a nice desert. We set up our camp there, figuring it would work (since I'd had good experiences with desert bases).

Then, I followed the path out of the base.

You see, lining the path were several hound mounds. And a dragonfly. Keep in mind that we were all bad at combat, Wigfrid had only just joined and had no idea where we were, and one of us still wasn't used to playing video games - fighting was not an option. And since it was a *big* desert and the wormhole had sent us to a far corner, we were stranded unless we used the wormhole. Being Webber, sanity is harder to come by and wormholes aren't always the best idea. Nevertheless, I went back to pick up Wigfrid.

For some reason or another, soon after I went searching, I had to shut down the server. I don't quite recall why, but for a few days, we didn't touch the server. But after a while of doing other, unrelated stuff, we came back together for some more starvey fun!

My dad didn't remember our earlier game, and ended up spawning alone in a tiny base in the literal middle of nowhere. There was nothing else but a bunch of cacti. He had no idea where I was, where my brother was, or why he had been dumped at that tiny base with no way of escape. He wandered around for a bit, picking cacti and roasting them, while I tried, in vain, to find Wigfrid.

I want you to put yourself in his shoes. You're confused as heck, sort of lonely, and have no idea whatsoever how you ended up where you are.

And then, out of nowhere, a flaming tumbleweed just sort of hops into your base and sets everything ablaze.

That was enough for him. His best guess was that he had angered some obscure god who just didn't want him to live, and the sheer ludicrousness of the situation coupled with the fact that nobody expected that anything like that could ever happen to create one of the funniest moments I've had ever since I first started playing DS. Needless to say, I was laughing pretty hard. I later learned that the tumbleweed's flames were due to the Dragonfly's lava pools, but that didn't change how spontaneously hilarious it had been.

Oh and we all ended up dying. The end.

/end weird ramble

Archived