Thread made by @ImDaMisterL

I'll just... TIE it here... (I know, it was terrible O__O)

post-396589-0-20817800-1438050500_thumb.

I made this O__O

The portal was made by Wilson P. Higgsbury after his long residence in the world of Don't Starve.

Analysis:

• It was created out of various things found in "The World"
  • It is made out of cut stones, wooden planks, a sand bag, wooden cogs/gears, nails, rabbitsa deerclops arm(?) and a smallbird/tallbird head (though some would say it's a deerclops eye but with the black hairs that stick out of the eye, it more closely resembles a severed (but still living) smallbird/tallbird head.
  • It uses pseudo-science logic for its functioning capabilities.
  • It is able to tear through The World's multiverse and transport different versions of the puppets into different worlds. This theory would be supported by the upcoming "Skins". This means that each skin is a different version of a character -- your Wilson may not be the same as your friend's Wilson.
  • OR it could transpose the trapped souls of the puppets (who have, as we play, already died... multiple times).
  • The Jury-Rigged portal is not as powerful as Maxwell's Portals -- the Teleportato and Maxwell's Door (yet) and is most likely based on these two.

Questions:

• When the time comes that the two Maxwell portals (and caves + ruins) are introduced in DST, would be able to traverse different dimensions in our patch of the multiverse (i.e. have different worlds traverse-able in a single save file)?
  • When someone enters your world, would they be able to travel to other worlds or will the previous world be destroyed upon travelling through a portal?
  • Would there be a limit as to how many worlds we can travel through in a single universe (save file)? Wouldn't this cause a heavy strain if we had too many worlds in a single sitting?
  • Would you be able to play in a server in two different worlds? (I know this is being worked-on in the caves and ruins issue)

The future holds a lot of promise for Don't Starve and so does the lore. I hope we see more of their stories like in the William Carter Puzzles, and some in-game puzzles(?)

Do you have any other theories about the portal or anything related that I missed?

The jury rigged portal IS the adventure mode entrance, they just have to repair it.

Well, I think the description states that the portal itself is not as refined as the other two but that it works fine... after a fashion that is... but I can't say for sure though... O__O 

"it's rickety but it appears to function... after a fashion." The jury rigged portal IS the adventure mode entrance, they just have to repair it.

The Jury-Rigged Portal is a lot wider than Maxwell's Door, so no, it cannot be "the same portal, they just have to repair it".

• Developer
I know, it was terrible O__O

It was, wasn't it? 

Maybe THIS IS THE DIMENSION STANFORD WAS IN ALL ALOOOONG!

THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOKS, BUT OF COURSE! In reality, Alex Hirsch payed Klei to MAKE Don't Starve to make an epic cross-over finale for his cartoon.

It is real people, no need to thank me for solving the puzzle.

But for real now, maybe the portal acts on random, bringing someone from a world to another at random times, I think that because when someone disconnects they appear to be transported out of your world, but then to what world does this person goes?

I think it either will end up sending you back to yours (when you enter the same server) or you end up in a completely different one (when you enter a different server).

The portal sometimes acts like an emancipation grill thingy from Portal, since sometimes it'll destroy all the items you're currently carrying (when you enter a new world) except your special character items.

It's definitely a portal to the other "islands" where they could've discovered a "rip" through to Wilson's Portal, or Wilson linked together the portal to the teleportato, which means that whenever a player activated the teleportato, they would could go though the Jury-Rigged Portal.

Oh,but it looks like a shadow hand to me

Why would Wilson work with "Them" if he's reverse-engineering Maxwell's Portal? I mean, Maxwell did use shadows to pull Wilson in, and the portal also gave him entry into the real world. So if he used a Shadow hand how would he be able to keep it there without it sulking back into the darkness? Would be hard to do since it's made of shadows and nightmare fuel (even though Nightmare Fuel can be held in a hand sometimes, we don't know if that's a solid form because it also behaves like a gas).

Maybe Wilson made the portal to escape The World... since we never really confirmed that travelling through the teleportato gets you out of DS... but then it backfired(?) or wasn't powerful enough and instead it merely ripped through their dimensions... or he was really lonely and made the portal connect other people's worlds together (I'm getting a Corpse Party feeling... O__O) 

What if Maxwell is in a coma and all of the characters are just his imagination?

Well, we didn't get enough of it from the Ash's Coma dreams or Finn's Coma Dreams theories let's add in Maxwell's Death Bed Dreams in too XD 

Wait a second... If Wes is only found in adventure mode, does that mean he was the actually first playable-character in the DS world? Also, wouldn't webber have been a boy when he entered the DS world since those spiders only exist there? I think if the portal was just a connection the the other characters' islands, otherwise webber wouldn't be a spider, or a spider eaten by a frog.

I kind of figured it was based off Maxwell's Door, but due to Wilson's state of mind while he was making it things didn't exactly go as intended. Hence the overall instability. 

So potentially, you're saying that he could have made a successful portal if her were slightly more sane? 

So potentially, you're saying that he could have made a successful portal if her were slightly more sane? 

Sure. He more or less made the door to get himself in the world in the first place. I would imagine he'd retain some of the knowhow of the inner workings/mechanisms. 

Forbidden KnowledgeMix chemical.Wrap white rats.Hit with hammer.Insert blood.Pull the lever.Forgotten KnowledgeMix chemical.Hit with rock.Wrap black crows.Insert berry juice.Pull the lever.

Congratulations, Wilson.

You tried.

But just like tofu can't replace meat, your portal can't replace the door.

Wilson did have the knowledge to make the portal, however. It appears he made his own version, and I think the real question is WHY he would build it, unless he thought he would be able to escape if he constructed a look-alike of Maxwell's door. So many mysteries, so little answers..

Archived