"Leveling up"

As much as I feel I don't want to make this into an "RPG", I recently had an idea of a form of "leveling up" in the game.

While we do have a level up system already in the game, it only gives you a character, one you may not ever use. Please note that i'm not saying that this level system should be removed.

Now my idea. Every 10 days you survive or so, (I originally thought 5, but I figured that it would break the game) you "level up", this allows you to spend a single point in one skill.

They are:

Toughness - Permanent +10 Health

Belly - Permanent +10 Hunger

Fisticuffs - Harder melee hits

Marksman - Harder ranged hits

Hard Worker - Work faster (Chopping, picking, digging, etc.)

Athletic - Run faster

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Walton

I'd like this, but combined with something else: making all mobs stronger as the game progresses. So basically everything evolves. All the mobs get more health and hit harder, and you on your side choose what improvements to get for your character to keep up. You could either go full "battle" and keep killing em the same or even easier, or improve some other aspects instead, which would make the mobs harder to kill and you'd actually need to get better geared to survive, but you'd have some other benefits (like a bigger stomach or faster speed, like it says there).

There was another thread a while back that suggested perks, similar to Fallout. I argued that this would make them too vanilla unless the perks were character-specific. Still it could work... but I would say you unlock perks based on your survival day and you purchase them with XP. So if you played and died, your XP carries over and next game you can buy a perk faster... but even if you had a million XP (and I suggested an XP cap) you would still only be able to buy the perks based on the days you had survived in your current map. And then we you died these would all reset (/w the paid XP being lost).

Well.

I guess if you want to turn this into a RPG then..

It will be like Dukem Nukem Forever.

A terrible game from good game.

Well,depends on point of view.

The game is supposed to make you DIE.

And if you are surviving long,you will DIE easily.

This would ruin that and seriously,have 500 HP as wolfgang on day 300..

Or hit hard as hell one hitting everything (My personal choice in games) ?

Or just moving faster than anything so nothing can hit you?

Or just working and picking berry bushes in miliseconds?

Consider,if it had cons,people would be good at one thing and get out of all other things.

Like just eating berry bushes while your pig defense shield protects you.

Picking berries is fast and pigs give you enough manure from them.Hounds come?No problem.

Sleep fast as hell and then run three times faster than werepig.

Perks like fallout ones would be good on other hand,

But thats what characters are for.

Edited by Rainbow Knight

Yes. The way the characters are handled right now is as if they had their own perks. Personally I don't need new perks... maybe just a different variety in characters and maybe some character-specific inventions... like the Meat Effigy (which is really only for Wilson). Keeping in mind that I would remove the ability for the Tent to let you switch characters.

Well.

I guess if you want to turn this into a RPG then..

It will be like Dukem Nukem Forever.

A terrible game from good game.

Well,depends on point of view.

The game is supposed to make you DIE.

And if you are surviving long,you will DIE easily.

This would ruin that and seriously,have 500 HP as wolfgang on day 300..

Or hit hard as hell one hitting everything (My personal choice in games) ?

Or just moving faster than anything so nothing can hit you?

Or just working and picking berry bushes in miliseconds?

Consider,if it had cons,people would be good at one thing and get out of all other things.

Like just eating berry bushes while your pig defense shield protects you.

Picking berries is fast and pigs give you enough manure from them.Hounds come?No problem.

Sleep fast as hell and then run three times faster than werepig.

No need to generalize. Just adding RPG elements to a game doesn't make it good or bad, it all depends how it's done. And nobody's saying it has to go to the extreme. Again, it's all up to how it's made. Could all be small increases even when maxed. I dunno, +20% speed, -50% harvesting time, stuff like that, and only when maxed out.

Yes. The way the characters are handled right now is as if they had their own perks. Personally I don't need new perks... maybe just a different variety in characters and maybe some character-specific inventions... like the Meat Effigy (which is really only for Wilson). Keeping in mind that I would remove the ability for the Tent to let you switch characters.

I wouldn't mind simply making character perks more in-depth. Right now there's not all that much difference, and some are basically plain superior to others. They should all be equally desirable to be used, and not just for looks or fun, but actually having equally good practical uses in terms of survival.