Agents talking to Agents

• Developer

At the start of a mission, we play a little agent flavour text. We pick a random agent on your team, and pick one of his/her oneliners to show you. I wrote 5-7 single alternate lines for each character, to help with repetition. Other than Central's description and their dossiers, this is really the only info we have about these guys in the game. We don't really know what they think of each other.

Let's see if we can change that!

There are 10 playable agents in the game. That means there are (10!)/( (10-2)!*2!) = 45 different two-person teams that you can send on a given mission. That is a *lot* of dialog to write all at once, especially if we include a handful of alternates for each. 

So I'm going to do them a little bit over time. I might drop a couple in this thread every so often, if you guys are interested. I don't want to spoil *all* of the surprises though.

(A quick disclaimer: at the moment this is just a world-building experiment. I can't promise if/when this will make its way into the actual game, although I hope that it eventually does :-) )

Decker/Xu

D: Just keep you head down and leave the dirty work to me.
X: Sorry, what was that? I was lost in thought.
D: <sigh> Exactly.

X: Have you ever considered a limbic inhibitor? It would dull the pain of-
D: Keep your thoughts to yourself, egghead.
X: It might improve your attitude, too.

D: They ever teach you how to fight in that fancy school?
X: I was a member of the boxing team, briefly.
D: Oh yeah? What was your record?
X: Zero and One.

D: You want a little liquid courage before we get started?
X: Are you drinking on a mission?! Does Central know about this?
D: Suit yourself, poindexter.

Is there going to be a way to submit our own ideas? I know that a bunch of us have ideas, and even just seeing what other people have to offer would help with the sheer amount of dialogue. Not to mention it would help keep the discussions fresh.

This is awesome. I love how much narrative and character you all managed to convey through the agents of Invisible themselves, so anything that develops and strengthens their relationships to each other, as well as their individual characteristics, sounds fantastic to me.

LOL at the samples :) Just the fact that you're thinking about expanding the char background and sharing some WIP here is great.

Also, goldarnit, I'm going to have to use the agents I'm not comfy with just for the fun of watching them bicker during missions...

At the start of a mission, we play a little agent flavour text. We pick a random agent on your team, and pick one of his/her oneliners to show you. I wrote 5-7 single alternate lines for each character, to help with repetition. Other than Central's description and their dossiers, this is really the only info we have about these guys in the game. We don't really know what they think of each other.

Let's see if we can change that!

There are 10 playable agents in the game. That means there are (10!)/( (10-2)!*2!) = 45 different two-person teams that you can send on a given mission. That is a *lot* of dialog to write all at once, especially if we include a handful of alternates for each. 

So I'm going to do them a little bit over time. I might drop a couple in this thread every so often, if you guys are interested. I don't want to spoil *all* of the surprises though.

(A quick disclaimer: at the moment this is just a world-building experiment. I can't promise if/when this will make its way into the actual game, although I hope that it eventually does :-) )

Decker/Xu

D: Just keep you head down and leave the dirty work to me.
X: Sorry, what was that? I was lost in thought.
D: <sigh> Exactly.

X: Have you ever considered a limbic inhibitor? It would dull the pain of-
D: Keep your thoughts to yourself, egghead.
X: It might improve your attitude, too.

D: They ever teach you how to fight in that fancy school?
X: I was a member of the boxing team, briefly.
D: Oh yeah? What was your record?
X: Zero and One.

D: You want a little liquid courage before we get started?
X: Are you drinking on a mission?! Does Central know about this?
D: Suit yourself, poindexter.

I thought you were going to ask us to write some; you'd pick the best :D

Can't wait to see the Nika/Shalem bragging rights war.

S: This reminds me of the time in Atlanta when I took out that K&M sniper from 2 kilometers.

N: Yeah. You were very cool and calm, considering I was right next to you taking out that squad of enforcers they had sent to capture us.

9 Irish-British-folklore-Carroll-Joyce-Graham-Barrett eccentric poetic powder-kegs with burning wires for Banks?!!

(I imagined how Decker asks her about St.Patrick's day but she evade answering and called him mr.Toad)

Yay, world building!

I wonder if Central and Monst3r would reminisce about good old times a bit, before getting down to business; or what Sharp's dialog with anyone would look like.

Also, I may have watched too much "Gravity Falls", but those little snippets of Decker/Xu quips reminded me of the Original Mystery Twins.

• Developer

Sweet, I'm glad y'all are hyped about this. I actually managed to get most of Decker done today, so maybe it won't take as long as I had originally feared.

Poor Decker. Nobody likes him. :(

Awesome! Definitely looking forward to it @Kevin.

I look foward to the banter between Decker and Internationale.

Decker: This place reminds of that infiltration in Rome.

Internationale: I was going to say Prague.

Decker: That bad, huh?

Then the first time an agent gets spotted:

Decker: Yup, just like Prague.

Awesome! Definitely looking forward to it @Kevin.

I look foward to the banter between Decker and Internationale.

Decker: This place reminds of that infiltration in Rome.

Internationale: I was going to say Prague.

Decker: That bad, huh?

Then the first time an agent gets spotted:

Decker: Yup, just like Prague.

I love the followup dialog. @Kevin would that be possible in some or all circumstances? The cool part is, you wouldn't always get it so the "old" dialog could get new life on occasion.

I really love this idea! (So much that I had to sign up just to post in this thread.)

A few more ideas:

I think it would be funny if one of the other agents turned out to be a fan of Prism from when she was a holovid star. But maybe someone you really wouldn't expect, like Nika or Shalem 11 (or Monst3r.)

Nika and Shalem discussing the merits of different weapons.

Decker and Sharp could be quite the pairing as they're really at opposite ends of the tech spectrum.

Monst3r: "How did you end up working for Gladstone anyway?"

Decker: "Of all the gin joints, in all the world, she walked into mine."

Central (via radio): "What was that Decker? Didn't get that last transmission."

Decker: "Nothing."

Prism: "You and Nika ever cross paths before working for Invisible?"

Shalem: "Only once. St Petersburg back in '71. Her boss was meeting my target."

Prism: "You're lucky to be alive."

Shalem: "She's lucky I don't miss."

Decker: "Word of advice, kid. Never play cards with Nika."

Prism: "Why? She cheat?"

Decker: "No, she just tends to get mad when she loses and Central makes us pay for the damage."

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

I think this kind of flavour-text dialogue would work really well in another specific setting : at the end of the mission, when all your agents leave together in the "elevator". That's when the tension goes down, when you feel all proud of what you accomplished; I think it's the best moment for your agents to throw some badass punchlines.

Prism giving decker a med gel injection

D: *screams* *inhales* *exhales*

P: ha! mia wallace

D: who?

P: pulp fiction

D: what? 

I imagine she likes "old" movies and keeps making references that nobody gets. 

Archived