worldgenoverride.lua with the new post-Caves settings

Hi, 

ive been having problems with the worldgenoverride.lua file i've followed the instructions and put in the proper folders like C:\Users\Sarey\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether and i've restarted the world and everything and yet my logs mention

nothing about worldgenoverride.lua im sorry but its driving me nuts, i've been working on the fix for about 7 hours in total :/ please i need help

• Developer
On 5/15/2016 at 9:53 AM, TheHalcyonOne said:

@Ipsquiggle Your template has the preset parameter without quotes. Not an obvious issue in a normal world since that's all set to defaults anyway, but made me absent-mindedly make an overworld in my caves shard by mistake. XD

Thanks! Fixed. :D

• Like 1

Hi all, need help to setup my server.

I'm under Linux Debian Jessie (8.5), my server works and my friends & i can play but i've troubles with the worldgenoverride.lua file  :(

When i start the dst server all changes i made in this file doesn't works. When i'm connecting on the server IG all parameters stays on "Default"

How can i debug this error ? Thx for help

• Developer
On 7/27/2016 at 7:21 AM, Silverscott said:

Hi all, need help to setup my server.

I'm under Linux Debian Jessie (8.5), my server works and my friends & i can play but i've troubles with the worldgenoverride.lua file  :(

When i start the dst server all changes i made in this file doesn't works. When i'm connecting on the server IG all parameters stays on "Default"

How can i debug this error ? Thx for help

Can you post your log file from the server generating a new world? There should be a message saying if the override was correctly applied or not, something like this:

[00:01:27]: Found a worldgen override file with these contents:
[00:01:27]:     K:      override_enabled         V:     true
[00:01:27]:     K:      preset   V:     DST_CAVE
[00:01:27]:   sanity-checking worldgenoverride.lua...
[00:01:27]: Loaded and applied world gen overrides from ../worldgenoverride.lua

Also just to double check: the file is in the correct location? It should be in the server's main data folder, at

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/worldgenoverride.lua for a client-hosted server, or

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/<clustername>/<servername>/worldgenoverride.lua for a dedicated server.

I am playing on my dedi server that has 800 days but does not seem to have many hunts available.  I have updated my worldgenoverride.lua file to make hunts appear more often, but they don't show up when I update. Is it the case these settings won't implement unless I regenerate the world?

I got mindf#$% to understand how to modify settings separately main world and caves.Because every time i went to change settings in worldgenoverride.lua,weird settings happened like add the new ones and dont change the previous ones,or mix them or confuse both worlds etc.What i did:
Lets say you have a previous world with random modified settings.Before you run the dedicated server go to dedicated server file and delete the followings ->
master/save/saveindex
master/save/server_temp/server_save
caves/save/saveindex
caves/save/server_temp/server_save

Then change settings in master/worldgenoverride.lua    <- This will change settings for the Main World    
worldgenoverride.lua

Then add specific only settings to caves/worldgenoverride.lua*  <- This will change settings for the Caves
worldgenoverride.lua

*Caves worldgenoverride.lua file.Lets say u want to change settings for monkeys to remove them.Just add under ANIMALS this:        monkey = "never",             -- "never", "rare", "default", "often", "always"

Save after settings.Run Dedicated server.I dont know if its matter but i give the command for regenerate to the master shard cmd window (Shardname SHDMASTER).
c_regenerateworld(1)

Hope thats helpfull....

Have you considered creating a script for generating worldgenoverride.lua files, the same way you provide a setup template for the basic config files at accounts.klei.com? We appear to be encouraged toward using these instead of leveldataoverride.lua, which made setting up worlds much simpler than building worldgenoverride.lua from scratch. So it would be awesome if there were a streamlined method for generating these files, and now that the world settings and generation options have expanded dramatically, now seems like a good time to implement such a tool.

Something to consider if you feel like making dedicated server setup a bit more streamlined.

Edited by JazzyGames

On 3/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, JazzyGames said:

Have you considered creating a script for generating worldgenoverride.lua files, the same way you provide a setup template for the basic config files at accounts.klei.com? We appear to be encouraged toward using these instead of leveldataoverride.lua, which made setting up worlds much simpler than building worldgenoverride.lua from scratch. So it would be awesome if there were a streamlined method for generating these files, and now that the world settings and generation options have expanded dramatically, now seems like a good time to implement such a tool.

Something to consider if you feel like making dedicated server setup a bit more streamlined.

You mean something like program with UI to make it easier ?

• Developer
On 3/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, JazzyGames said:

unlike leveldataoverride, you only need values the deviate from the default, so most of the values can be left off, most worldgenoverrides are only like 6 lines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:52 PM, zarklord_klei said:

unlike leveldataoverride, you only need values the deviate from the default, so most of the values can be left off, most worldgenoverrides are only like 6 lines.

I realize that from a programmer's standpoint this is a relatively straightforward file to manually create and is not complicated; for that matter, neither are the other server files for which we do have the ability to automatically generate via accounts.klei.com. Anyways, just a thought to maybe throw around in the back room. Thanks for all the documentation and support!

• Like 1