The Misadventures of a Noob, Her Brother, and Her Brother's Best Friend

So, my brother's owned Don't Starve for quite a while. It's been one of his favorite games, beside Minecraft. I'd play it occasionally, although I was absolutely terrible and always turned the monsters off in the presets.

Until last week.

My brother's best friend got Don't Starve Together for himself and my brother, which prompted my mother to  buy me the game (Along with Don't Starve and the Reign of Giants DLC) so that I could get more social interaction. My brother's friend set up a server, leading to immediate chaos

Neither me nor my brother's friend, who I will be referring to as Noah, knew much about the game. My brother, who will be referred to as Aaron, found this frustrating, and after day one he went off by himself, leaving two noobs alone. Noah, who was playing as Willow, managed to burn down most of our supplies almost immediately. I have no idea how we survived the night, but we did, with the campfire burning out completely very shortly after night ended. At dusk on day three, Noah and I declared war against Aaron, who by then had a campfire, a science machine, and several tools (including a spear and a grass suit). Noah had already used up Willow's Lighter, and I was playing as Wendy with that lovely attack power debuff and nothing to kill in order to summon Abigail. However, we decided that we would win, because unlike Aaron (AKA Wilson), we had the power of campfires and dancing!

..Yeah, that went horribly wrong. Day four, and we were dancing pointlessly some more, and we forgot to watch the clock. Dusk came and we had nothing to make a fire. And we couldn't find anything, either. The two of us died from the night monster, and ended up haunting Aaron (And Abigail followed us, too! Apparently my own demise was enough for her) until he too died. Can't remember how he died, though.

After that Noah had to leave, and hasn't been able to come on and play with us again yet. Although me and my brother have had some fun by ourselves.

I set up a server on the Lights Out preset, because my brother wanted a challenge. This first time I played Wendy, and Aaron was Wilson again. It went pretty well, actually. We survived a week, until my brother went off on a long expadition and left me at camp to keep the fire fueled and fend off Night Hands (We were both going insane). I ended up without any food, and had to ask my brother to bring some home. By the time he got back, I was starving to death, and I died of starvation whilst he cooked. Dunno why he didn't just give me some raw food. He's an idiot. Shortly after, he went insane, and a Terrorbeak killed him.

After that we tried again, this time with me playing Willow. I got used as a portable sentient light source because of my lighter, which I got fed up with fast. I ended up pretending it had ran out of durability to make him stop. Except when I did that, he panicked because he didn't have stuff to make a torch. I had expected him to have enough, so I didn't equip the lighter again. We both died to the night monster again.

Then we started a normal world. It went pretty well, actually, our base was pretty cool. I was hatching a Tallbird egg, my brother was out on a run, gathering something or another. I was living on toasted seeds, because all the food in the area was harvested and the crops were taking forever. I ended up going insane, too, somehow. Dunno how, since Willow gets a sanity buff from standing near a fire and I had been doing that for ages. But I spent a lot of my time fending off night hands waiting for my brother, who just didn't care.

Neither of us have died in that one, yet. I ragequit when I accidentally fried my Tallbird Egg. I was so determined on hatching it, I'd even made a little pen for it, and it was about to hatch. Hrrrrrrrghhhh.

which prompted my mother to buy me the game (Along with Don't Starve and the Reign of Giants DLC) so that I could get more social interaction

Your mom is awesome.

Dunno why he didn't just give me some raw food. He's an idiot. Shortly after, he went insane, and a Terrorbeak killed him.

I got used as a portable sentient light source because of my lighter, which I got fed up with fast. I ended up pretending it had ran out of durability to make him stop.

This is why I keep begging my older bro and younger sis to play DS with me. It sounds so fuuuuuuun! But they just don't care. :(

Also, your bro is a bit of an... I dunno. Why is he making you babysit the base and having all the fun to himself? Go out and explore too! Or on your own time, join random servers to get better faster so you can set up your own camp in a diff part of the map and raid his base from time to time. Hehe~

Your mom is awesome.

This is why I keep begging my older bro and younger sis to play DS with me. It sounds so fuuuuuuun! But they just don't care. :(

Also, your bro is a bit of an... I dunno. Why is he making you babysit the base and having all the fun to himself? Go out and explore too! Or on your own time, join random servers to get better faster so you can set up your own camp in a diff part of the map and raid his base from time to time. Hehe~

My mom is awesome ^_^

I have no idea why he keeps making me babysit. I think I'll try joining more servers, practice is always a good idea.  I also plan on gifting my friend Charlotte my extra copy of DST, so I'm gonna have a lot of fun teaching her how to play. I think I'll post about it when that happens ^_^

I also plan on gifting my friend Charlotte my extra copy of DST, so I'm gonna have a lot of fun teaching her how to play.

Do eeeet~! Gawd, I'm so jealous. I gave my bestfriend a copy too but she went and played it with her boyfriend and she doesn't play with me, due to "schedule conflicts". Whatever. *forever alone* T______T

If you don't mind spoilers and want to know the basics fast, try watching Yukitsu's vids on YT. Even just the 1st one is a huge help, especially if you're like me and don't have someone to show/explain things to you.

There's also this guy in the forum who's kinda annoying but he's really really good and knows his stuff. He has his own Q&A topic here. There are joke questions and answers but just browsing through the posts, I pick up lots of useful tips.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun teaching her how to play. I think I'll post about it when that happens ^_^

Yeah, please post updates (and if you ever beat your older bro, post that too!) Heehee~ welcome to the forums and hope to see you more around here!

After that we tried again, this time with me playing Willow. I got used as a portable sentient light source because of my lighter, which I got fed up with fast. I ended up pretending it had ran out of durability to make him stop. Except when I did that, he panicked because he didn't have stuff to make a torch. I had expected him to have enough, so I didn't equip the lighter again. We both died to the night monster again.

Would admitting the lie have been worse than dying?  :D

Anyway, fun story! At least your brother plays the game. My brother just eats rot, random mushrooms, and monster meat, steals things, and sits around in a bush hat waiting to be mouth fed.

Would admitting the lie have been worse than dying?  :grin:

Anyway, fun story! At least your brother plays the game. My brother just eats rot, random mushrooms, and monster meat, steals things, and sits around in a bush hat waiting to be mouth fed.

Yes, it would have been XD I was mad at him.

Anyway, sorry for my lack of updates here! Since the April 1st update, DST stopped working on my computer. But, this morning, my brother managed to get it to work again! No idea what he did, I only realized when I noticed he was playing with Noah on my computer while I was drawing.

So, expect some updates later today as we test the newer updates! RoG, yusss!

ALso, that tutorial series you sent me was //extremely// useful, thank you so much! I am officially better than my brother, we had a competition yesterday to see who could live the longest with the same preset on the same character. My brother died day six, and I haven't died yet :D Of course it depends on how the map generates, but still!

These last games went just as well as you would think; not very well at all.

Before we even started we were encountering issues- My brother hosted a server and I couldn't log into it. I couldn't find it when searching. We spent several hours trying to find each other's servers before giving up. So I closed the game and then realized- Steam claimed that my game was in need of updating. Ooops....

After that we encountered issues with mods. Noah had decided to host, because his ping was a lot better than mine and my brother's (On my brother's server, the ping was so terrible we literally could not move because our characters kept teleporting back the second they walked one step.) Noah loves mods, so there were like a million of them installed. And a lot of them were out of date. So we spent a while trying to stop the server from repeatedly crashing by weeding out what worked and what didn't. And then Noah added more mods, some of which were broken. Yeaahhh....

So we finally got into the game. Me, Noah, and my brother decided to go off together and work on a camp. Noah had taken to calling my brother "Senpai", just to annoy the crap out of him. It was hilarious to watch.

Some random guy showed up, too, and he attacked my brother. My brother's modded character came with an OP sword, so the stranger ended up dying. We looted the corpse and I picked up and item called Long Pig. I asked what it was, and apparently it was unimplemented human meat. Which is disgusting. Apparently Noah had a mod for that. I ended up cooking it and eating it when I ran out of food. Blegh, cannibalism.

While we were establishing our camp, Noah had to go off and do something. He said he'd be right back, and he left the server running.

My brother went off collecting beefalo poop and things to build farms with, leaving me in charge of feeding Noah and keeping the fire lit. We survived on birchnuts and seeds- not very nutricious. When my brother returned he built two farms, under Noah's feet. I went and planted some eggplant seeds I got from a nearby Catcoon.

And then it all went to hell. I was playing as a character that was basically an un-nerfed Willow, except she lights fires at her feet even when sane. It hadn't been a problem until now- when I was planting the eggplants I accidentally lit the farms on fire. The fire spread to the base, and burned everything- including Noah who was standing in the fire. We tried to push him out of the fire,  but he died. My brother saved as much of his stuff as possible, but most of that burned too. Unfortunately, the two things he did save were a Pan Flute from the Glommer statue and some Long Pig. I think I pissed off my brother with the fire, because he spent a lot of his time putting me to sleep with the flute and feeding me raw Long Pig and rot. And then he so politely murdered me with his OP sword and ate my flesh, only to commit suicide by Beefalo.

I wonder how Noah felt when he came back to find we'd all died and the world reset.

The next few worlds went alright. I got ahold of the Pan Flute and trickied Noah and Aaron into coming to spawn so I could put them to sleep, but that was about it.

My brother decided to do a diplomacy thing. Some kinda roleplay, we were each the leader of an empire. My brother ruled the south, Noah ruled the north, and I was a lone traveller. I accidentally found the Dragonfly (which is strange- Dragonfly is meant to be the Summer boss but we were playing in Autumn.), and it killed me, so I explored some as a ghost. I found a herd of Volt Goats and for some reason they crowded around me and started bleating. Noah joked that they were serenading me. So I stayed there a while, listening to "BLEATBLEATBLEATBLEAT" for lack of anything better to do. The noise got annoying, though, so I left.

Turned out I was standing right next to a touchstone without realizing, as it was just offscreen. So I revived.

There's a strike of lightning when you revive via touchstone, and Volt Goats are basically walking lightning rods. I didn't know it at the time, so I went past the herd again and noticed one of the goats was fluffier suddenly.

FirelightKnight: Goats! I'm alive, isn't it great!
FirelightKnight: Hey, why is that one fluffy? He's kinda cute!

FlamingBlade: Supercharged?

FirelightKnight was killed by a Volt Goat! They became a spooky ghost!

Noah had died too, so eventually my brother went insane and died from a nightmare monster.

Next world went quite well. Diplomacy thing stayed around with the same allegiances. I accidentall stumbled upon Noah's camp in a swamp, and I was welcome there. I helped him out a little, gathering stuff for him and giving him some flint (I had 12 and he had none). Until I found the Dragonfly again, which killed me. There was another touchstone right next to him, so I revived and ran away. Then I went killing spiders for glands because I needed to heal, and I was killed by the spiders. So Noah went and made me a Telltale Heart, but he didn't realize he didn't have enough health, so he died too.

Then Flaming crashed, and the world reset.

Noah had to go after that, and me and my brother went to bed. It was fun, though.

I can't remember which world this was in, but me and Noah had formed an allegiance and were looking for a base camp spot. We came across several Hound Mounds- approximately five or six of them (I didn't count) and were chased by like thirty hounds. It was ridiculous.

Strangely enough, though, I (never Noah or my brother for some reason) kept finding the Dragonfly, even though it was always Autumn. I though the Autumn giant was the Bearger? Guess it's a bug. Pun intended.

Noah had taken to calling my brother "Senpai", just to annoy the crap out of him. It was hilarious to watch.

Noah is a good man. :grin: We approve! Hahaha

My brother decided to do a diplomacy thing. Some kinda roleplay, we were each the leader of an empire. My brother ruled the south, Noah ruled the north, and I was a lone traveller.

*shakes head* Big brothers. Seriously.

absimiliard is right. Dragonfly for DST ROG has been updated. She has 10x more health now (from 2,700 to 27,000?) and stays forever in her special biome, no matter the season. She also summons little lavae thingies to attack you so it's better to steer clear of her. I tried leading a Deerclops to her once but I just got Glommer and Chester murdered in the process.

You can treat her as some kind of Evil Monster that must be banished from the land. It shall take intense training (more like prepping lots of heal and armor and stuff) and coordination between the Northern and Southern Kingdoms (and the brave little nomad).

Good luck with ROG, it's crazier and is more fun! Hope you keep beating your bro at the game. :razz:

absimiliard is right. Dragonfly for DST ROG has been updated. She has 10x more health now (from 2,700 to 27,000?) and stays forever in her special biome, no matter the season. She also summons little lavae thingies to attack you so it's better to steer clear of her. I tried leading a Deerclops to her once but I just got Glommer and Chester murdered in the process.

You can treat her as some kind of Evil Monster that must be banished from the land. It shall take intense training (more like prepping lots of heal and armor and stuff) and coordination between the Northern and Southern Kingdoms (and the brave little nomad).

Good luck with ROG, it's crazier and is more fun! Hope you keep beating your bro at the game. :razz:

Holy crap O_o

so.. summer doesn't have a seasonal giant now? That seems like an odd thing to do...

Although my brother's gonna love this news. "And so the Northen and Southern empires, with the help of the lone traveller, will unite to slay the mighty dragonfly and rid the lands of it's evil grasp!" or something like that.

Holy crap O_o so.. summer doesn't have a seasonal giant now? That seems like an odd thing to do...

Yeah... :( I think the devs said Dragonfly was redesigned to be a "raid boss" type of monster. Err.. that probably makes sense for other  gamers. Like a bit of a group quest? For me it just means I have to run away from it. :')

Archived