Solutions (host+client in same PC)

what i did was in cmd  type  ipconfig /all   then looked for ipv4  it will have ip and (prefered)   then google whats my ip  or log to router and see what ur ip is it should not be a  192.168 type number thats your private ip  then  go to your Nic card properties like they say and put in the Private IP  probaly something like 192.168  and so on then the mask of 255.255.255.0    oh and the Default gateway ( I think this is the address to log in the the router) from ipconfig you can get  the dns  but mine didnt work so i used 8.8.8.8 on the seconday and the crap one from ipconfig on top  then i went to advanced and added the Public IP  the one my router  shows which is the same as the one i see when i google whats my ip  add the 255.255.255.255 mask.   i never lost connection even with the old crap dns  until  I turned off DHCP on my router kept getting DNS errors thats when i learned about the 8.8.8.8 dns and it all worked.

Are yall using Steam to  run the server and launch the game????      like the dont starve dedicated server press play it loads  then on the DST together  press play to run the game ???  no matter what i do i can not get the game to load this way (is this the Bug)  

It worked at my dads using Xfinity.. about to go to a friends and try on his cable connection,,, 

• Developer

We need these added to the wiki for dedicated servers. SethR, maybe this will help you guys understand the issue with lag when connecting to a dedicated server from the same computer. The solution by mcadjo solved my issue completely.

My bet would be that because you've got NAT issues, steam's NAT traversal code is falling back to a full traffic relay solution. Meaning that all your packets go from your computer, out across the internet to steam's TURN servers, then back to your PC. No surprise you'd have some lag in that setup. NAT makes for some tricky situations. :(

@nome, NAT was disabled, port forwarding and port trigger were disabled. I tried every setting in my router to make it work without fiddling in my network card settings, however, the thing that made it work was putting my external ip as my network card.

Note:

This wasn't happening on my wives PC which sits 2 feet from me which I've used to host dedicated servers on during the dedicated servers Closed Beta testing. It runs Windows 8.1 so I've documented many issues which have been resolved thanks to PeterA for taking the time to relay the information to the proper people.

I honestly am at a loss of why it now works and yet everything I tried and read did not work at all.

Edited by Kzisor

@Ryuzo If its not DNS problem, then you should check your default GW settings. I noticed somtimes that win7 looses it in configuring NIC properties. Check it with netstat -r on win. You should see your default GW as well as all IP addresses related to your NIC. If you dont see default GW or it is blank, this is definitly a problem. Just enter settings again in NIC properties page.

For people who use NetGear Genie, look at this picture to look where to find NAT filtering:

14d407131ab8a05bcf84e930f64b59a5.pngSource from, is here.

Hope this helps!

This did not help on my router. I still need to have my IP address as my outside ip address for my NIOC adapter in order to connect without lag.

This did not help on my router. I still need to have my IP address as my outside ip address for my NIOC adapter in order to connect without lag.

Portforward the ip listed on the IPv4 Address using configip in command prompt. then follow the steps I previously posted to access NAT filtering, into Netgear Genie (Make sure you're logged in too.) After that, please check that you've changed the server directory folder from the default client folder, so that it can co-exist with the client simultaneously, by doing "-conf dir %nameofdirectory%" without quotes. If you use steam for the server, go to Properties>Set Launch Options and then type the command in the dialog box. This seemed to work with me.

To find your outside ip address, or Public Ip address, please go to here to find out. Hope my information answers your issue. I don't know of a fix for lag, though. Which I think I misunderstood your issue, thus wasting my time for writing this information down, but it should be helpful for others, which is good.

Edited by Rayalan

@Rayalan, I have it working by simply putting the IP address for my outside IP as an additional IP address for my Network Adapter. The NAT settings didn't need to change from secure mode for it to work, which I find interesting and ironic that some routers are finicky and want a wide range of weird settings. 

Hi,

dont know if this help some people but it's work for me with this settings:

150203051402647288.png

I do this dedicated server on my laptop (for test)

I just added the ports on my router NAT then assign a fixed IP address to my laptop (I did not make DMZ)

and i was able to join the server with my desktop pc

my friends came to join my dedicated server without problems

my firewall and my antivirus does not seem to block port

I hope its help some of you

Edited by ToNiO55

Ok FINALLY got this going using a Clear hub express modem  (4g internet) the Trick was the IP passthrough after turning it on it took a while restarted the router 3 times and it finally picked up the internet i turned upnp . dhcp  ON  and changed nic card back to auto config ... not sure if any of that matters. it seems im still using CMD to route my IP but i dont think any of it is needed 

Hope this helps some people as it did me ill mess with it more but none of the other fixes worked for the router and they worked great for 2 different Xfinity Routers,

GL

This works too!  If connecting to another dedicated on your LAN, run cmd as administrator, then run:

route -p ADD 1.2.3.4 MASK 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.123

replacing 1.2.3.4 with your server's public IP and replacing 192.168.1.123 private IP.

That didn't work for me...

All so is that what you type on the Server (Host) or on my PC (Client)?

I tried it on both BTW just in case. ;)

Hi @pamelagabriela,

you can also use SteamID 64 bits for banned player with SteamRep: https://steamrep.com/

such as server logs delete after restart your server, sometimes you do not have the number KU_xxxxx

but if you have the name of player you can find steam profil of him and banned player with SteamRep

example on me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ToNiO44

steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998580666

just put 76561197998580666 on your blocklist.txt and restart your server and it's works

very handy for me when a friend tell me a troll to break everything the previous day,

but I have the player name for banned him

Edited by ToNiO55
  • Like 2

@pamelagabriela, Yes, you can look at your log.txt and see the player disconnect message. You should be able to find their Klei UserID (KU_########) in the log, and you can add that to blocklist manually.

Hi rezecib! But in the blocklist.txt for example there is something like that inside:

KU_AwByyUjdº76561198052736085º1424480426ºwickerbottomºNao Morra de FomeºServidor Brasileiro.

Those numbers appeared when I banned by score tab.

So I just copy and paste there? And what about those numbers? Should I know something more?

Hi @pamelagabriela,

you can also use SteamID 64 bits for banned player with SteamRep: https://steamrep.com/

such as server logs delete after restart your server, sometimes you do not have the number KU_xxxxx

but if you have the name of player you can find steam profil of him and banned player with SteamRep

example on me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ToNiO44

steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998580666

just put 76561197998580666 on your blocklist.txt and restart your server and it's works

very handy for me when a friend tell me a troll to break everything the previous day,

but I have the player name for banned him

Thank you so much ToNiO55, it always good when there is another way to ensure banned, it seems very useful, by the way I put an issue above, about how to put Kley ID inside blocklist.txt.

• Like 1

I have my dedicated server up, but I'm not seeing it on the in-game server browser.

It does show up on here:  http://my.jacklul.com/dstservers/?mode=Any&dedicated=Yes&password=No&fo=No&pvp=Yes&mods=Any

My router is an Apple Airport Extreme so I have to open it through AirPort Utility.  

Someone help me with the ports.  I have no idea how to correctly set up my UDP and stuff.

I have my server_port = 10999 in settings.ini

any help is appreciated.  thank you.

@SnowyPanda, You'll have to set it to a different port if you're going to join from the same computer. I use 10998.

Here's a guide to port forwarding with your setup. Forward the port number you set it to for UDP.

... but all I really did was google "airport extreme port forward".

awesome!  

After I forward the port to 10998 on my router, do I have to change server_port = 10998 on my settings.ini too?

@SnowyPanda, Yes

I've tried everything and still don't see my server on the in-game server browser.

UDP and TCP ports both forwarded to 10998 for public and private.

I ran CMD in windows and got my IP and set Private IP Addess: 10.0.1.3

set server_port = 10998 in settings.ini

Still shows my server is up on http://my.jacklul.com/dstservers/?mode=Any&dedicated=Yes&password=No&fo=No&pvp=Yes&mods=Any and not in server browser