[Gameplay] - Dr. Xu Sub Dermal Tools and consoles

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Platform: PC

Issue Title: Dr. Xu Sub Dermal Tools and consoles

Issue Description: I thought I'd try out Dr. Xu's subdermal tools today and my first mission was a detention center. I was very confused to not be able to open the cells from the console after disabling it with his tools.

I finally figured out that the consoles always have to be hacked with Incognita. Nanofabricators are the same. This makes sense to me.

My suggestion is that the option to disable these with Dr. Xu not be presented to the user. Unless disabling eliminates a daemon on the device so they can be safely hacked by Incognita the next turn (something I haven't tried), I can't think of a reason why the option is there. Dr. Xu would certainly know that disabling these devices was a waste of time. Even if the daemon disabling was part of gameplay, I still recommend that the option not be given to players unless a daemon is present on the object.

Steps to Reproduce: Use Dr. Xu to disable a console or nanofabricator.

Odd that there's no replies to this after so long, but I can think of a few instances where using his ability can be quite useful. Here's two.

1) The current player turn is alarm level 1+4. Next turn is alarm level 2, which adds one to all ACTIVE firewalls. By using Xu's ability to disable the machine, it will reboot with the same alarm level that it previously had, without being increased from alarm level 2. (The same principal would apply to a daemon that adds 1 to all firewalls, you could use Xu to disable the machine, then activate the daemon.)

2) You want to use an area-of-affect hacking ability, such as Data Blast (-1 firewall in a large circular range). If the nano-fabricator is in the middle of a bunch of security devices and it has a daemon on it, you may not want to activate the daemon as you hack the other pieces of equipment. By using Xu, you can disable the machine (and it's daemon), hack to your heart's content, then when the machine reboots the daemon will not have been activated.

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay
Platform: PC
Issue Title: Dr. Xu Sub Dermal Tools and consoles
Issue Description: I thought I'd try out Dr. Xu's subdermal tools today and my first mission was a detention center. I was very confused to not be able to open the cells from the console after disabling it with his tools.

I finally figured out that the consoles always have to be hacked with Incognita. Nanofabricators are the same. This makes sense to me.

My suggestion is that the option to disable these with Dr. Xu not be presented to the user. Unless disabling eliminates a daemon on the device so they can be safely hacked by Incognita the next turn (something I haven't tried), I can't think of a reason why the option is there. Dr. Xu would certainly know that disabling these devices was a waste of time. Even if the daemon disabling was part of gameplay, I still recommend that the option not be given to players unless a daemon is present on the object.
Steps to Reproduce: Use Dr. Xu to disable a console or nanofabricator.

Archived