Dedicated server files

Hi, russian gamers also wait 4 dedicated server in any state  :love-struck:

Unfortunately we can't play at the Klei servers of the very hight ping, but if Klei provide DS I'm glad to help in host and debug (so ex. dedicated servers beta-test) at Russia.

:breaks out the pom-poms and starts dancing about! "Go go MarkL! Go go MarkL!"

I'm totally fine with a memory leak! Okay, well, I'd prefer it not to be there, but I doubt I'd have issues with it as soon as other people considering I have 32 gigs of ram.

I don't know what it's like to run a dedicated server for Don't Starve Together so please excuse me if this question appears silly.. Will there be more than five save slots? See, at least half the people who come to my server tell me that my server's the only playable server. I'm running it on a processor at 4.4 ghz. Considering the game's single-threaded, the overclocking apparently helps a lot. Problem is, I'm looking for experienced people, and I get totally new people who join my server constantly just because it's the only one that they have a remote chance of not dying on, regardless of how clear I make it in my server message that I'm not in the mood today to explain absolute basis for an hour straight.

I figure if I run, say, 11 other servers at the same time, they'll have 11 places to go besides the one I'm on and I can pop in and out when I feel like trying to help newbies! Of course, though, this'll only work if I don't have to adhere to the five-slot limit.

Aaaand here we go, hello everyone :)

I politely take my number and enter the queue for dedicated server files.

Running a dedicated server on Ubuntu (i've heard you laugh, yes you!) and 100mbit/s bandwidth.

Greetings from Italy!

@MarkL I may have skipped over it, but I assume the server is going to be available for Linux? Also, is it only going to be distributed via Steam or will there be standalone files available somewhere? I'd like to throw together a docker image for the server, but needing the steam client installed makes that a little more difficult.

• Developer

As a beta tester for Dedicated server, I can answer some of your questions.

For now, dedicated servers are only on Linux but when the files will be publicly release, it's likely to have a windows version too :)

Dedicated servers will be released on steam as a new standalone app. For your docker image, take a look at SteamCMD. DST dedicated servers should be compatible with it :)

As a beta tester for Dedicated server, I can answer some of your questions.

For now, dedicated servers are only on Linux but when the files will be publicly release, it's likely to have a windows version too :-)

Dedicated servers will be released on steam as a new standalone app. For your docker image, take a look at SteamCMD. DST dedicated servers should be compatible with it :-)

I guess the next question is whether they can be run under an anonymous login with SteamCMD or whether a Steam account will need to be made for each server instance.

• Developer

Anonymous login! :-)

We have a token login system that will be required.  Those tokens are automatically generated and set if you have logged into the client on your computer,  or can be generated with a simple lua command and entered into your settings.ini manually.  You can host many dedicated servers from a single copy of DST.

This token jazz lets us prevent rogue servers from polluting the server listings, while supporting Anonymous login.

I've been making swift progress on dedicated servers,  they are now set to build and upload to Steam along side our main game,  I've also added a Windows dedicated server build.  Still hoping to have something to share at the end of the week.

We have a token login system that will be required.  Those tokens are automatically generated and set if you have logged into the client on your computer,  or can be generated with a simple lua command and entered into your settings.ini manually.  You can host many dedicated servers from a single copy of DST.

This token jazz lets us prevent rogue servers from polluting the server listings, while supporting Anonymous login.

I've been making swift progress on dedicated servers,  they are now set to build and upload to Steam along side our main game,  I've also added a Windows dedicated server build.  Still hoping to have something to share at the end of the week.

Great! I'm working on launching a GSP soon and wanted to get DST set up as one of the games available at launch, sounds like it should be pretty easy to set this up.

This is a realy good idea of handling this :encouragement: , it's so annoying when you can't setup dedicated easily because you have to use your own steam account, sometimes even forcing you to buy a game another time.

• Developer

No news?

It's the week end.

But some modders and the developers are writing the documentation of the dedicated servers.

Some users will receive the dedicated server files in order to check this documentation and see if they manage to install the server easily.

For a public release, you'll still have to wait some days ...

It's the week end.

But some modders and the developers are writing the documentation of the dedicated servers.

Some users will receive the dedicated server files in order to check this documentation and see if they manage to install the server easily.

For a public release, you'll still have to wait some days ...

Volunteer here, Let me try it!

I didnt thought that my post will get that expectation, ^^

Btw I formaly want to ask @MarkL if there is any ETA for the server files to be displayed becouse i didnt received a beta :/

So I hope we will see soon dedicated servers running around the world

Best Regards, Raul

Archived