[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

Got loads of errors. Even tho I followed this from step tp step. Managed to get the last one out of the way, but I am stuck at this one now, and I cannot seem to manage to firuger it out. Do you have any idea what I should do? 

I cannot find the place to delete them stupid dots.

majin buu error.png

I'm making a mod for a friend and almost everything is perfect! No errors, no weird sprite glitches, even the long hair looks good! :D

I'm only having a bad time replacing the cat feet. Why are heels so hard to draw?

Edited by OpalKittens

8 hours ago, ToriIsNerdy said:

Hello! First of all I love this, but when ever I change the scripts for my character so that there are no longer Wilsons the game crashes when ever I try to start up the mod in anyway. Any help?

It's a pain to do this. But usually you either missed a comma at the end or used these (") inside the quote.

It usually shows a crash screen and it tells you a bunch of weird things along "at line ###"

You must use notepad++ go to that line number and check it. Or maybe you skipped an entire line. Make sure first you got the same ammount of lines as the wilson's file.

Correct Speech format sample

ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE = "I feel watched.",

Incorrect forms sample

ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE "I feel watched.", (missed an =)

ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE = "I feel watched., (missed a ")

ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE = "I feel watched."", (double "")

ANNOUNCE_CHARLIE = "I feel watched."   (missed the coma at the end)

Hello! Ive been trying to make a character for the past day and a half, and with reading (a ton) of tutorials I seem to have gotten most of it working!! however now that all the coding is done (I had to get rid of a lot so the game would even open at first) Dont starve opens for a couple seconds to load, and then crashes with this report:

The following mod(s) have caused a failure: Star Quartz Ranger
...ps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua:73: Error loading file prefabs/qtz
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
=[C] in function 'assert'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Stream/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(73,1)
=(tail call) ?
=[C] in function 'xpcall'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(42,1)

If i could read code properly this would most likely make sense to me, however I cant, if anyone could help me that would be great!!! 

I haven't played the game during the last 4 months or so. Now, I see a lot of people having issues making their own character. I also noticed a new update with the Extended Sample Character on steam, which I haven't made, just wanted to know more about the new features and stuffs. It seems new files are apparently screwing up people's new mods. I just ran the game with my own character and everything was working properly. Anyway, what are those bigportraits/[character]_none.png and images/names_[character].png. I still don't have them on my mod and it works.

Finally finished all the art, cleaned everything up, and checked about 7 or 8 times, But every time I go into DS (just the "vanilla" no extra mods besides ECS) The character always ends up invisible, even the hat item and the tool that I currently have on. I assume it's because of the anim file, but I'm not completely sure, this being my first character mod, after all.

Anyone managed to make the Oval Portrait working in DST?

I created my bigportrait which works when I choose my character, but then, the Oval thing does not work, what I see inside the portrait is another character from the list. I edited the .xml file after compiling everything as explained in the tutorial. Please help!

My mod says "Compatibility unknown", all the other mods say "Compatible with DST" or whatever. The modinfo.lua does contain dont_starve_compatible = true
reign_of_giants_compatible = true

and I added this to be sure.
dont_starve_together_beta_compatible = true

It still has an unknown compatibility. Why?

And each time I start up the server with my mod enabled it crashes and says "An error occured when starting up game. Check log for details"

Also the avatar folder is missing in images.

I am using TextWrangler and i got lost a few times and i keep stuffing up around the renaming section, can you by any chance post a tutorial on to do this but with TextWrangler (Can't get Notepadd++ the joys of a mac)

I don't think anyone is going to reply me but, i can use the extended sample character to make my own character in any way?

plus anyone knows a good tutorial about how to make the character art?

Hey! need some help.

I made a character for DST, so i tested it and then, the char didn't load

[Simple Explanation]

Spriter = My custom char

In-Game = The default catgirl

if anyone knows how to fix this, i would be veeery grateful. Thanks.

*Ey m8, ur english suxs

-Not my fault :c I'm from Chile, so i dont speak a complete english... yet.

I have no clue what is going on with my mod, the mod appears to work fine, It shows up in the menu, I select the character, I see the preview and dressing screen, Everything is normal, but when I try to play, nothing shows up. No crash log, no in-game world, no "not responding", it just has that tan menu background, and nothing else. Help meh plz. I will send more info if needed.

Hello, I'm trying to remove the sample character's tail by replacing the character folder pictures with the character_clear pictures so they become transparent (black). In spriter I can see the tail removed but when I load the game after it compiles the tail is still there. Am I missing something?

I think this is outdated. Don't Starve Together has received an update recently and now there is more content for the player to do new actions and animations. Which is why the mod is not working for everyone.

• Like 1