The multiplayer hounds rebalance is too much

Me and my friends aren't exactly the BEST at this game, but I wouldn't exactly call us NOOBS... But the hound situation as of the recent hotfix is just WAY too overwhelming for us. It feels like the hounds come every two or three days, and they come in INSANE numbers.

They tear through our armor almost instantly because of the durability nerfs that I still don't see any reasoning behind, and they come SO OFTEN that we have no time to recover in between. And once they start coming, eventually they kill us once, which leaves us with less max hp, and we don't have enough time to gather the materials for booster shots before they come again.

I'm sure the more experienced veteran players aren't having any issues, but for less expert players it is just making the game unfun. The hounds come in such huge numbers AND they feel stronger than in vanilla, and it all just comes together to be a real clusterfuck... 

I've had no problems with the new hound mechanic. Sure, more come but there are more people to deal with them. I'm at day 20 right now, and we've only had 1 hound attack, that had 4 hounds in it. Nothing too bad, and now we're fitted to take out a group of at least 12. If they are that much of a problem on your end, turn them down in the world options :D

The hounds come in such huge numbers AND they feel stronger than in vanilla, and it all just comes together to be a real clusterfuck...

The hounds are exactly the same as they are in single-player. The only difference now is that it spawns single-player numbers of hounds for each player. Sorry, the hound changes were more subtle than first appeared. It spawns up to single-player numbers of hounds per player, but actually reduces the amount a bit if you're grouped up.

The overarching game experience for this game is live a bit, die to something, try again and learn to deal with the thing that killed you.

You're not supposed to just fight hounds directly; you will lose eventually.

• Developer

Me and my friends aren't exactly the BEST at this game, but I wouldn't exactly call us NOOBS... But the hound situation as of the recent hotfix is just WAY too overwhelming for us. It feels like the hounds come every two or three days, and they come in INSANE numbers.

They tear through our armor almost instantly because of the durability nerfs that I still don't see any reasoning behind, and they come SO OFTEN that we have no time to recover in between. And once they start coming, eventually they kill us once, which leaves us with less max hp, and we don't have enough time to gather the materials for booster shots before they come again.

I'm sure the more experienced veteran players aren't having any issues, but for less expert players it is just making the game unfun. The hounds come in such huge numbers AND they feel stronger than in vanilla, and it all just comes together to be a real clusterfuck... 

The absolute fastest the hounds should be able to come is once every 3 to 8 days, and that's only if you've all been in the world more than 100 days. More likely they will be attacking once every 4 to 11 days. If you definitely feel that's not the case for you, then please submit a bug report and we'll look into it.

As far as the general balance of it, I definitely appreciate the feedback. We're using the single player game as a starting point for this, and it actually sends fewer total hounds if you're hanging out with your friends, but I'm sure it could use more fine-tuning. I'll keep your comments in mind moving forward. :)

IF you're taking feed back into consideration then I would like to state the hound numbers are fine.  It was a pleasant surprise when the fix took affect because I played on a server after the update before reading the notes.  Got a hound spawn within a day and about 15 came from every direction.  I knew right away what was added to the update.  The question is how do you want us to deal with them?  You want us to fight the hoards as a group or do you want us to just deal with them as before in single player.  If you want us to fight the group as a group then yeah some sort of fine tuning is necessary but most veteran players know how to deal with a mass of hounds. 

Also on this note on the servers I play Im usually the only player with 100+ days so everyone else gets a couple hounds while I get a ton.  It freak the others out.  It's quite hilarious.

Last I notice sometimes the warning howl from distance accompanied by "did you hear that?" is missing before hounds attack, so that actually they do "surprise" attacks, and that is quite lethal if you're out of base exploring, at night, far from beefalo or other monsters.

Is it wanted mechanic or a bug, the missing "did you hear that?" warning?

I don't get this 100+ days thing, maybe I'm a little slow. Is that some kind of accumulation? As early as day 10 we have been getting murderous swarms of hounds. hm?

Basically, game generates hounds for every player in the game separately, basing on their play time. So people with less time in the world will get less hounds than world's veterans.

Once I had a hound attack on day one (my personal world time). But none of them came for me.

I don't understand how to have hounds earlier than usual (day 3 to 8 as he said), how can I do to have that ? (I didn't get the 100+ world thing), I have to have in my history a world where it's a 100+ days or a world actually working that is 100+ ? Like that on other new worlds, I'll get the hound attack earlier than usual ?

It seems much funnier :love_heart:

--

@Ipsquiggle : Ah please, don't make the game easier ! We like challenges. It's just that he haven't learned yet how to face hounds, so it's normal that they die. Hounds are not here for hugs and love.

And anyway, if you are difficulty against hound(no armor/weapon situation), just go to a pig village or go see your beefalo friends(at worst bees). They will kill the hounds easily for you.

And don't try to get booster shot at early, it's rather hard at the start, it shouldn't be your priority, focus on getting your health full and a weapon/log armor(and pig helmet if you can). Having back your health won't help survive against hounds, but a armor/weapon/helmet/full life will.

Hounds are fine, they come about each 10-th day, and there are not so much trouble to deal with em, Live near pig village, or summon a tree giant, or use Wendy character she tear all the hound pack apart easily. There was one bug about hounds that I saw, one hound bugged and was just running somewhere all the time without attemps to attack me.)

We have the same issue as the OP.  We didn't play the game that much in single player since we prefer co-op for this type of game and we're not experts.  We do pretty well with other stuff even being noobs.

We get 4 hounds each (so 8 at least as it seems like there's more :/) within a few days and get slaughtered.  When you're working together it's easy for one of you to get more than 4 on you and they're pretty hard to fight even with spear and wood armor (that doesn't last long) unless I guess you're so pro at the game that there's no point in playing when you should just be ascending to godhood.

We ended up turning them off.  Fortunately the game has lots of server options.  :/  We may turn them back on once we get more used to the game, as we DO like challenges, just not getting violated with no chance.

The wood armor does seem to fall apart rather quickly.  Carrying multiples could help, I suppose, but seems a bit ridiculous.

We've also had some amazingly bad luck with treeguards as well, we had 3 spawn within the first 6 days in one game and managed to lose aggro on them somehow but then we could never use bedrolls (and guessing it was because of them but it might've been something else...no clue what though).  We can kill those but it takes forever.

Do log armor, it's not expensive and it's worth (60% resistance for grass but 80% for the wood !), then kill the hounds asap they come. Don't wait them to be 4 before attacking them. They usually come one by one so it shouldn't be a issue for the first waves. Or check the other posts on this topic, there are lots of ways explained in this topic.

@Voqar, As a very experienced player, even fighting 4 hounds myself is pretty tricky. The idea is that you're supposed to learn other ways of dealing with them. This is one of the major reasons why people settle by beefalo, for example.

Yeah, I've read these things in regards to the single player - thanks for confirming they apply here too.

Small controlled forest fires work wounders* as well, I killed about 6 hounds at a time that way... making the remainder more manageable. Actually fighting them yourself, with a spear, is asking to get ripped apart.  If you have a group of 3-4 you can take advantage of one player aggroing the group and the rest ganging up on a single dog.

*I like the typo so I'll keep it.

I did not see the suggestion, but my answer to hounds is as follows:

* First days/Mid game just run into anything that would fight the hounds.

* late game : Narrow corridor ending in a fire-pit (in case of winter/night) & filled with tooth traps.

Just reset/replace traps if needed after each hound wave.

post-514378-0-60011500-1419883877_thumb.

Archived