"Go Here!" Function [Auto Travel]

(If i have posted this in the wrong place, please move it, i am new to this forum.)

A great game which i have played nearly too much called Pikmin 3, has a neat function,

which allows the player to select a place on the map (only the already discovered parts) and press "Go here". This makes the player automatically walk to that spot. Here's a picture i made in paint dot net to show you what I'm picturing in my head:

dB3snha.jpg

This is how i think it could work in a bit more detailed version:

When one opens the map the, of course, see your player head. If you drag the map around, an arrow facing downwards will appear, along with a button that says "Go here!" When pressed, the map closes, and you see your player walking to that spot you pointed out. If you press any button, the automatic walking stops, and you have control over your charcacter. Also if there is, say, a wall in the way between you and the destination point, the "line" between the arrow and the player will try to avoid the obstacle. If not possible, then, you cannot use the Go here function.

Here's what you can't do:

• You can't Use Go here in an unexplored place of the map.
  • (Help me find more, it just came into my head a while ago)

The Go here function will be very convinient and handy, especially if you don't want to sit there, holding that W, A, S or D button so long. This will also help you shave off wasted time on a day, if you want to work efficient.

Teams that want to work as efficient as possible would adore this function.

I also see no need to adding any "cons" because why would auto travel be punished?

Tell me what you think. Critisism is highly appreciated.

It would suck a good deal of immersion out of the game, for one.

With auto walk, I would merely get bored faster.

Valid point. I have noticed how in the game i mentioned in the post which does this, you are controlling 3 characters at once. Multitasking is key, and you can grab on character, send him to that place and get to work with another. 

Making it optional isn't really that wise to do either, so maybe it would be good as a mod.

Thanks for the feedback :D

I would love being able to do this between landmarks if I can talk and run at the same time. I can see the immersion being questioned, however my immersion is really interrupted because I get annoyed when trying to hold a conversation while traveling. Doing that while trying to relocate the beefalo herd before night sets makes me always wish there was more hours in the day.

It would be nice if Wilson would stop automatically walking when monsters are near. However, disable this ability when auto walking at night. As always, make this a server option. If players don't want this, do not make them. New Don't Starve players that will be joining to play with their friends may enjoy this feature to help them keep on task and slowly get used to the other parts of the game.

I've thought of this myself aswell because pikmin was fun as ****.... Buuuuuttttt I'm the kind of person that hates flight in MMOs. Gotta have dat immersion. Besides you can always use the telelocator...

Telelocators are really expensive and really can not be used to travel back and forth. You can have two people work two telelocators in different places, but 6 gems for a two way trip? I built myself two in singleplayer that were next to each other. I did this to bring me a chester home together. Bottom line, telelocators in multi-player are just way to expensive for frequent use.

I would love being able to do this between landmarks if I can talk and run at the same time. I can see the immersion being questioned, however my immersion is really interrupted because I get annoyed when trying to hold a conversation while traveling. Doing that while trying to relocate the beefalo herd before night sets makes me always wish there was more hours in the day.

It would be nice if Wilson would stop automatically walking when monsters are near. However, disable this ability when auto walking at night. As always, make this a server option. If players don't want this, do not make them. New Don't Starve players that will be joining to play with their friends may enjoy this feature to help them keep on task and slowly get used to the other parts of the game.

This is some good stuff you got here!

Didn't really think of these type of things. :)

I do like the idea. I kind of want to give it some more thought. But my first reaction is:

I'm not in love with "click and go there", as my friend mentioned could create path finding issues (and probably much more coding). I think you'd most likely get stuck somewhere and run in place. - Perhaps as an extra mod?

I do love an auto-run feature. My reasoning, for as mentioned, being able to type and communicate, while trying to not waste the day away and get somewhere. But also, you can sort of do this anyway, if your not full screen, but click off game while running (?) Not sure exactly, though I have done it a few times accidentally and was like, "Oh, god! How do I stop now! Ahhhhhhhh- *clicks off game and back on* Oh, there!"  - A button would be nice. lol

You did make me think of instead of walking for you, maybe being able to use the map place a marker on it. And you get sort of a direction of where your marker is on screen. - Could make it an option if you make a compass or something. For all those hardcore fans not wanting anything easy!!! hehe :) Anyway, just an idea you made me think of.

Just some of my initial thoughts.

I wish this were possible as a mod, but I'm not sure it is. The map is actually a pretty difficult object to work with. It might be possible, but if it is, it'd be difficult-- you'd have to manually figure out on your own how to map mouse position on the map to a game-world location, based on the current offset of the map texture.... D:

I wish this were possible as a mod, but I'm not sure it is. The map is actually a pretty difficult object to work with. It might be possible, but if it is, it'd be difficult-- you'd have to manually figure out on your own how to map mouse position on the map to a game-world location, based on the current offset of the map texture.... D:

:c

@rezecib are you sure that's not possible? Because I know I've had my map open while spawning an improved farm once and it spawned across teh map to where my mouse was instead of in my local area. Of course you would know better than I would.

Weird. yeah I just tested and I can't recreate it... No clue how that farm plot got over in my rock area since that's miles away from where I ran the command.....

errrmmm That's odd... So I totally didn't notice it for a while... But I went for my seasonally expedition to glommer and found the improved farms that I spawned in the same spot they spawned last time when I tried spawning with the map open... So it doesn't seem to have to do with the map location... it seems to just be a bugged spot?

Good idea. Would like to see this in game. As a mod at least.

I could see an auto run button maybe being added, but this would just require too much work.

I don't think there can be something difficult for Klei. Things _"they don't want to make and will call difficult to make us stop asking (as it was with DS together )"_ do exist.

Especially if Klei knows how the hell map works, because modmakers do not...

Archived