Spawning Portal

I thing it could be a good add to put a structure that is craftable to choose the spawn location for next player. 

Something very hard to do. 20 living log, 10 nightmare fuel, 3 purple gem, 20 gold and a shadow manipulator. 

People who spawn in winter could spawn directly in your base. Also, it could be usefull if you plan to do a maze or something like that. 

The spawn point of new players is supposed to be constant, although I've seen that there have been bugs about it recently. Theoretically though, it should always be one single place.

It's possible to create a mod to force new players to spawn at a given point. Personally, what I'm doing is creating a specific item at the spawn point that I rarely or never use otherwise, and using console commands to bring myself to that item. That way I can greet new players, and help them get to base by following me (since it's too complicated to give them directions).

EDIT: there's also a console command to teleport all players to a specific item, which you can plant at your base... I don't recall exactly what it is, but I remember seeing @SethR using it when he created the modded maze world in a DevCast.

I wholeheartedly support this. Although nothing in the game has more than 3 different ingredients, so to have a huge complicated recipe like that it'd probably have to have craftable parts that you can then assemble like the teleportato. But that would be cool, too :grin:

EDIT: there's also a console command to teleport all players to a specific item, which you can plant at your base... I don't recall exactly what it is, but I remember seeing @SethR using it when he created the modded maze world in a DevCast.

I don't know if I'd call it a console command so much as a script, but here it is (it moves them all to the mouse position, though):

for k,v in pairs(AllPlayers) do v.Transform:SetPosition(TheInput:GetWorldPosition():Get()) end

But this would have to be entered every time someone joined and it would pull everyone to you, even the people who were trying to be going far away. So even as an avid console magician, I would love a way to influence spawn points. Currently the only way to do this is override playerspawner's OnPlayerSpawned method and supply a hard-coded value instead, but you have to do this every time you start the server. This is a reallllly long thing to type in, though, so what I'd recommend is pasting this into consolecommands.lua:

function c_setSpawn()	local x, y, z = TheInput:GetWorldPosition():Get()	local playerspawner = TheWorld.components.playerspawner	local OldOnPlayerSpawned = playerspawner.OnPlayerSpawned	playerspawner.OnPlayerSpawned = 		function(self, inst, player)			OldOnPlayerSpawned(self, inst, player)			player.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)			if not inst.state.isday then				SpawnPrefab("spawnlight").Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)			end		endend

That way you can just type "c_setSpawn()" into the console and it will set the spawn position there. It will still make an extra spawn light back at the original spawn, though, but *shrug*

They have the files for the machine Wilson used to bring everyone to him. I do not think they have said any word about it being a scrapped idea or not.

This would be rad. Story-wise, immersion wise.

gameplay wise? I'm not sure. So far it's been interesting to have the challenge in keeping new players alive, and making a starter kit and a visible pathway for them to our base. 

If it's a late-game, hard to craft item, that's understandable. I'd be down with that. 

3 ingredients max per repice? Ok

4 living log + 2 nightmare fuel = Living beam

Purple gem + 5 golds = Golden gem

3 fireflies  + 5 living beam + 3 golden gem = Spawn Portal 

If there is alredy a portal in the server and you try to do an other, the first one take fire and burn.  

In the desing of the door, It could have some light bulb with fireflies inside. These light stay lighted for 1 day instead the light beam from the sky. 

Archived