Impressions from a game-dev student :D

Hi Klei!

Big fan, I did a SWOT and a porter 6 on your company :D

Anyway, I was happy when I got my beta keys a week back and I couldn't wait to grab a friend and get to it. From the outset, here's what I'd suggest you change to make the experience better.

1.) Death should have some built-in optional rulesets that allow for a dedicated server to handle death differently from a private server.

Dying on one of these servers feels like being banned if you do not have a method of coming back to life. The issue here is that empty servers stay empty and active servers stay active. To keep the maximum number of players out there playing your game and goading friends into purchasing the game, they need to be able to handle death on an empty server by themselves.

Otherwise, player behavior is that they'll abandon the server and not return. If a player is not invested, and has no sense of perminance, they will get tired of the game more quickly. Having friends on a dedicated server increases retention and good retention means more sales through networks of friends over steam.

2.) A character select option after the initial character select.

My invited friend was new to don't starve, and she didn't like the character she picked. Our option was to find a different dedicated server or make her deal with the frustration of playing something she didn't want to play.

---------------------------------------------

Bugs

1.) Upon her first time loading, my friend had a dialogue box stuck up in the middle of her screen after character selection about connecting to the world or some such. As the host, I never got this issue. It was not reoccurant for her after disconnecting and reconnecting, and it did not happen again when joining other servers.

---------------------------------------------

Reception of my friend

We communicated over skype while we played, she was having an absolute gas figuring out how many neat little "Of course that'd work!" moments ( like catching spiders in box traps :D )

It was a really positive experience. She's not sure she wants to pay for it right now, and I told her she should because the price is going up after the MP launch. I don't really know if this can be mitigated, but perhaps a coupon code for testers who spend more than 5 hours testing would be appropriate motivation. I wouldn't announce it, I'd just send it out to hook some fence sitters at the end of beta.

-------------------------------------------

Overall, thanks for the beta codes.

I'd love an extra code or two if possible, I've got other friends who are mad at me for not picking them ;)

I do like the idea of being able to switch characters for sure. Even for more experienced players, it would be fun to be able to switch just to keep the experience fresh on a longer server. 

If your friend doesn't see that the fun to be had from dst is more than worth the cost of the game, then she's not good at evaluating a game's worth.

beta testing at this point is not really evaluating the game's worth, exactly. As long as people take note of bugs and try as many of the game mechanics as possible they are valuable beta testers. I think what OP meant is just she's not sure she would play single player and enjoy it just the same as multi. I think she should give it a try, as SP is a different experience, but she's still a valuable tester. Just my two cents....

Archived