Rebalances for Willow and Wolfgang

Do these characters need reworks?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Wolfgang

• He's fine as is.
    • He should be changed in the way detailed in the post.
    • He should be changed another way.
  2. 2. Willow

• She's fine as is.
    • She should be changed in the way detailed in the post.
    • She should be changed another way.
  3. 3. Do these other characters need a look, too? (if so, explain why)

• Wilson
    • Wendy
    • Wickerbottom
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Webber
    • Wigfrid
    • No, they're all fine.
    • I don't know.

@TheKingofSquirrels I know what pyromania is, but what she's actually doing is pooping fire. SpawnPrefab('willowfire'), not FindEntities.lightonfire (that's not what the actual code would be, but it's way more readable).

By pooping fire you mean she´s lighting the ground on fire.

Yep thats how her pyromania was implemented all right. And your point is?

That linking it to freezing would be...nonsensical.

That linking it to freezing would be...nonsensical.

Not at all. You've seen the thread about giving her resistance to Summer's heat? This would do that, although not unilaterally. The player would have to sacrifice the perks of sanity to gain that.

Not at all. You've seen the thread about giving her resistance to Summer's heat? This would do that, although not unilaterally. The player would have to sacrifice the perks of sanity to gain that.

Yeah, that make sense because it´s heat! 

You wouldn´t start freezing to death because your sanity is low. End of discussion. 

@TheKingofSquirrels And that world can be changed. For example, prior to the last update, there were no meteors. Bam, now meteors make sense within the world of Don't Starve.

I´d disagree. Meteors are kinda...Silly, but I guess that´s just me.

Also, the change you are talking about is about making something easier. We want a challenge. So stop. 

@TheKingofSquirrels And that world can be changed. For example, prior to the last update, there were no meteors. Bam, now meteors make sense within the world of Don't Starve.

False comparison. You are trying to compare two completely different things can claim they are the same. Implementing a new feature is not the same as retooling an existing one to make it make less sense.

Also your suggestion is that we get rid of her pyromania altogether and replace it with ...freezing. How is she a pyromaniac than if she never starts fires? You are suggesting destroying her as a character and replacing her with a cold baby that likes warmth. Yeah lets just turn her into a lizard too and make her picture have her as a lizard that sits on a rock.

Let them implement all the characters before talking about re-balancing anything. Personally, I think that all characters should basically be left alone. Willow should still light fires when too insane, and wolfgang should have to eat a lot to beat some monster butt. That's just the nature of the characters. What you're suggesting is taking away what makes these characters unique, and I can't say I'm for that at all.

Let them implement all the characters before talking about re-balancing anything. Personally, I think that all characters should basically be left alone. Willow should still light fires when too insane, and wolfgang should have to eat a lot to beat some monster butt. That's just the nature of the characters. What you're suggesting is taking away what makes these characters unique, and I can't say I'm for that at all.

Willow's change definitely does change her uniqueness, but Wolfgang is still very much the same. He still has to eat a lot to beat the monsters, and he's still weak when his belly is empty, it just no longer makes it so you want to stay wimpy all the time, which was really awful before. I've talked to several players who love Wolfgang, and all of them so far think that a change in this direction is a good thing.

Willow's change definitely does change her uniqueness, but Wolfgang is still very much the same. He still has to eat a lot to beat the monsters, and he's still weak when his belly is empty, it just no longer makes it so you want to stay wimpy all the time, which was really awful before. I've talked to several players who love Wolfgang, and all of them so far think that a change in this direction is a good thing.

I do understand where you are coming from, talking about how wolfgangs damage and whatnot can change in the middle of a fight, but that is just another thing that makes him, him. Yes, he is a strongman. When he has a full belly. A full belly makes Wolfgang bigger and stronger, which requires more energy, hence why his food goes down so quick. In wimpy mode, he's not using as much energy, thus less food. This is just the nature of Wolfgang, and I think it should stay as such. Having his food always go down at a constant rate just makes him more of a food hog, with little setbacks. 

Yeah because you are nerfing the disadvantage of their favorite character to make him into a permanent tank.

Your discussion sounds like it went like this:

Them: “Mommy, I dont like it when its to howd”

You: “Hey can I make your favorite character OP”

Them: “Sounds good”

She´s a pyromaniac. It has nothing to do with being cold, it´s an impulse control disorder that makes people want to burn or blow stuff up. That´s why she burns stuff when her sanity starts dropping, she starts loosing control. 

She's a firestarter, not a pyromaniac. It's not stated that she has that disorder. That's a popular opinion, but it's not listed in canon. 

It's more accurate to her character, I think, to go with the idea that she was based off of the kid in the stephen king "Firestarter" novel, who has pyrokinetic abilities. 

She's a firestarter, not a pyromaniac. It's not stated that she has that disorder. That's a popular opinion, but it's not listed in canon. 

It's more accurate to her character, I think, to go with the idea that she was based off of the kid in the stephen king "Firestarter" novel, who has pyrokinetic abilities. 

Unsubstantiated claim. There is no evidence that Klei was in any way influenced by the Steven King novel when they created her. It is just as likely that they used an Edward Gory book to create her making your point moot. Also “pyrokinetic” sounds like a cross between pyromaniac, and telekinetic. One would logically conclude that would be the ability to telekineticly create fire like she already does. So either way the argument is a moot point in regards to changing her.

Unsubstantiated claim. There is no evidence that Klei was in any way influenced by the Steven King novel when they created her. It is just as likely that they used an Edward Gory book to create her making your point moot. Also “pyrokinetic” sounds like a cross between pyromaniac, and telekinetic. One would logically conclude that would be the ability to telekineticly create fire like she already does. So either way the argument is a moot point in regards to changing her.

True, but there's just as much evidence for her being a pyromaniac, meaning, nothing solid. My point is just as valid as theirs. 

And, no matter what you think it sounds like, I didn't make up that word. It's the word that is used. 

True, but there's just as much evidence for her being a pyromaniac, meaning, nothing solid. My point is just as valid as theirs. 

And, no matter what you think it sounds like, I didn't make up that word. It's the word that is used. 

It was obvious you got the term from the novel, a word King made up. I was braking it up to point out that it has the concept of pyromaniac embedded in its framework, and the character in the King novel pretty much becomes a pyromaniac at the end. King books are highly over rated in my honest opinion.

Anyways it is pretty much implied that Willow is a pyromaniac from her dialog and the way she is presented by Klei. You can argue against that all you want but I dont think you will win. My other point was that even if Willow was just a “firestarter” as you claim she would pretty much do what she already does. This would mean it would not make any sense to change her.

Anyways it is pretty much implied that Willow is a pyromaniac from her dialog and the way she is presented by Klei. You can argue against that all you want but I dont think you will win. My other point was that even if Willow was just a “firestarter” as you claim she would pretty much do what she already does. This would mean it would not make any sense to change her.

First, Pyromania is a mental disorder, it's pretty serious to throw that around with no proof.

Second, It's absolutely possible that she is, of course, but the reason I was refuting it was because another user said that the mechanic of her feeling cold and lighting fires with low sanity didn't make sense, due to her being a pyromaniac.

I was pointing out the flaw in that logic, that she is not a confirmed pyromaniac, so the change in her mechanics could work.

Archived