Could someone teach me how to save?

Hello. I signed up for the Beta and haven't received my key yet, but I'm hoping to get it soon. While I'm waiting, I thought it would be a good idea to figure out how to work the multiplayer server stuff so I don't have to spend time figuring that out.

If someone would be so kind as to instruct me please. For when I get the game, how do I set up a server for just me and my friends to play. More importantly how do I save our progress. I heard you can make a certain kind of server and when you disconnect it will save your whole world. How does that work with the other players who were connected? Is their progress saved when they disconnect or does it save it to the world? How does that work if someone could explain it to me please. I want to make sure when I start to play that we're not playing for hours on end and we lose our progress. Also, if the game were to crash, is it possible for us to load up our game from where it last saved?

Thank you for reading my request and thank you for your replies.

It's honestly so straightforward to make a server that it would take more time for us to explain it to you in advance than it will take for you to figure it out when you get it.

But basically the person who hosts has the save. If others rejoin, they'll pick up where they left off, but they can't take their characters elsewhere or anything.

It's honestly so straightforward to make a server that it would take more time for us to explain it to you in advance than it will take for you to figure it out when you get it.

But basically the person who hosts has the save. If others rejoin, they'll pick up where they left off, but they can't take their characters elsewhere or anything.

I appreciate the info. Was just wanting to make sure that's how it worked instead of it ending up I could save the world but my friends' characters weren't saved.

Does it have to be a private server to save the server like that, or could it be public too and it would save everyone's progress?

In PAX when you disconnected the character died and dropped all it's stuff, does that not happen anymore or do you have to make sure the host disconnects before the character's disconnect?

Thanks for the reply.

@Richie84 If the host disconnects before the clients, it functions the same as if everyone disconnects at the same time. When a client player disconnects, their character disappears (with their inventory), and is stored on the server. When they reconnect, it takes their character out of storage and they reappear where they were when they disconnected.

The only difference between public and private servers right now is whether they have a password. So public servers save all the characters, too.

Archived