DST is simply boring

We'll be posting about what is coming, what is changing, and how things will be going forward pretty soon.

The game is not really supposed to be in tip-top shape that it's entirely fair to make this kind of assessment yet. But, thanks for your feedback; we are certainly aware that we have a while to go before everything is in order.

So, keep an eye out; we'll be posting up some info soon.

Cool i really like to read your update about DST - what is coming and what is happening. Maybe you post it until end of this month? .)

Im not in beta since im on Mac but i watch streamers a lot and from what i see its fun and also i see where are some you here coming from since there are no caves/ROG but HEY its beta and not full released game - the purpose is to fix bugs and make this game awesome at the end.

I still hope there is more to DST than DS/ROG with more players but as i know Klei they will push this game to awesomeness once again.

GL to you and dont hurry with anything - we will wait!

There needs to be more world changing events, more things to stop you from getting comfortable. I don't mean things catching fire in summer, that mechanic is just frustrating. I'm talking about earthquakes or tsunamis that destroy, create, or separate existing land. You may have had easy access to beefalo before, but now there is a gaping chasm in the way. You may have had a bunch of nice farms, but oh look that tidal wave just came and washed them all away.

These world changing events encourage you to not "keep all your eggs in one basket" so to speak. It encourages players to makes separate bases, and to also come help when disaster strikes.

Game is quite boring. After 12 game days with only 2 players full base is build, replanted grass twigs and berry bushes included, there is plenty of food and really nothing to do beside eating and running around without much purpose, you can wait for winter to kill deeclops but its so boring to wait for it.

There is no real gameplay included. I suspect it will be short on gameplay even after adding caves and RoG content.

There is way to much of food and really nothing to do.

I think DST is great and you can pvp if you find Co-Op boring.

Game is quite boring. After 12 game days with only 2 players full base is build, replanted grass twigs and berry bushes included, there is plenty of food and really nothing to do beside eating and running around without much purpose, you can wait for winter to kill deeclops but its so boring to wait for it.

There is no real gameplay included. I suspect it will be short on gameplay even after adding caves and RoG content.

so you bored  because you have abused ... pretty much all the things that ,  RoG and later DS content fixed to make harder?

This is like a guy saying the early days of the dont starve beta was boring.. Well ... yeah....

the only purpose of this game is surviving , so it stands to reason your only REAL issue is that the game is not hard enough for you. yet.

even vanilla dont starve can get boring if you plan right and build a proper super base  the game ends once you are self sufficent.

so you bored because you have abused ... pretty much all the things that , RoG and later DS content fixed to make harder?

This is like a guy saying the early days of the dont starve beta was boring.. Well ... yeah....

the only purpose of this game is surviving , so it stands to reason your only REAL issue is that the game is not hard enough for you. yet.

even vanilla dont starve can get boring if you plan right and build a proper super base the game ends once you are self sufficent.

He doesn't need the game to be harder, because if he was better he'd have the time and resources to be able to do fun, crazy stuff that makes the game more interesting.

I enjoyed playing through the challenges, unlocking Mr. Mime, etc etc.  Webby was fun, and both sisters love playing as BEAVER-Jack.

Here's a thought I've always liked:  Most games once beaten have a New Game+ Option.  This kind of already has one with the Potato-porter.  

How about have a Level-up approach with some of the following wherein:

Option 1:  Killing monsters earns you experience & levels.  You have to land the final blow yourself, not use traps, fire, friendly enemy-fire.

"What does that do for you?" - You then get say, 3~7 points to allocate to various stats.  More Health, Sanity, or ability to go longer without food.

Other ways to improve upon this is to have set tiers for extra perks like Bonus to damage when using the Walking Cane (or all weapons), or additional defense, or affect the modifier of how well you harvest crops to get more usage out of the farms, or a speed increase, etc.

Option 2:  Going through the Potato-porter makes enemies stronger/faster/have more resilience.  This would also synergize well with leveling up your own character as well as providing the obvious solution to finite resources which games like Minecraft eventually can be plagued by with enough hours logged.

Option 3:  Introduce mini-objectives that Maxwell requires.  This could be find and kill a Spider Queen, offer up a sacrifice of a certain type of food dish, mass-kill 10~20 beefalo/spiders/fishmen/frogs/other plentiful creature, desecrate 5~10 grave stones, etc.  The penalty to not completing this could be more randomized attacks, darkness to come sooner (think of Labyrinth and what Bowie does), inflicting a stronger hunger/sanity loss, or slowly taking Damage over Time.  The only other way to escape completing these objectives would be fleeing to a new world.

Option 4:   PvE-based-PvP wherein you both have your own Potato-porter and have to explore the world to build yours first.  You're unable to interact with the other team's Thingys (or possibly even see them, lest you booby trap the heck out of them), and the first one-or-two-man team that completes it and enters lives.  Might go well with #3, it could also work with the level up process so you have to juggle between clearing the map, being leveled up enough to survive the next world, and you would only get access to the Tier perks if your team was the one to complete and enter the Teleporter first.

More ideas to follow; I also do not know if any of these mods have been created. I'd love to sit down and talk with some modders or even Klei if they liked my ideas and to work on some code to implement them.

What I would really like to see is a map editor, where we can make and create our own maps, and then have other players play it with us via DST. Giving the players the ability to make their own creations is very fun. Giving us the ability to change the aggro aspects of the mobs as well would be great, like if you can befriend pigs, rabbits, spiders, goats, chess pieces, snails, as any character when you edit the map. Letting the player play how they want to play within a sandbox is very fun!

It will be boring even with RoG and caves.

The current battle system is not good for multiplayr game.

You can't kite RoG bosses, so it will end on gunpowder fast kills. PvP sucks for the same reason.

Thre is nothing here beside being on the same map with more people. It needs total redesing of combat, and much more content to be a real game.

You can´t kite bosses? Says who? I´ve killed plenty of bosses and I´ve never used gunpowder. 

Multiplayer takes away the risk factor, you can always be revived by your friends, so you can just do many more mistakes.

Beside all that, game is quite small so you have everyting in few hours, like 2 - 3 hours or so and its the end.

I do agree with this though. From what I´ve seen DST looses the hardcore game-play. Everyone is just getting resurrected all the time with those hearts, they are way too easy to make (or maybe they shouldn't even be in the game in the first place).

But maybe with PVP, that will change... 

I do agree with this though. From what I´ve seen DST looses the hardcore game-play. Everyone is just getting resurrected all the time with those hearts, they are way too easy to make (or maybe they shouldn't even be in the game in the first place).

But maybe with PVP, that will change... 

well then the solution is obvious , remove the hearts , all together , if you cant find a meat effigy or a touch stone.. then you are gone.

simple easy , effective.

and probably one of the first mods to be made  if the hearts by some  chance make it into the game.

to behonest though i think  they are more concerned with game stability rather than balance.  Not for a second do i think the hearts will stay in their current form.

I remember when people complained about DS being too easy during beta while we were already able to change the settings to make a more challenging world to our hearts content.  The players that said this actually never changed the settings to deal with lower/no food of xyz etc.  Maybe we'll get servers with those options and new ones to get everybody happy on how they want to play for DST?

I remember when people complained about DS being too easy during beta while we were already able to change the settings to make a more challenging world to our hearts content. The players that said this actually never changed the settings to deal with lower/no food of xyz etc. Maybe we'll get servers with those options and new ones to get everybody happy on how they want to play for DST?

Don't starve is mostly a game that's reliant on acquiring knowledge.

A new player doesn't know beefalo exist.

Once they find them, they might try to fight one and get swarmed.

Or they make their base right in the heart of the beefalo, and once they go into heat die from that.

Experienced players often camp 1-2 screens away from beefalo, because that is what experience has taught them is ideal.

Once you know how to rapidly and efficiently establish a base, winter isn't bad until the deerclops comes and you die. Once you learn how to kill the deerclops, then winter isn't bad at all, and you're no longer just sitting around your fire trying not to freeze.

You can take down MacTusk, for the highly valuable hats and walking stick, which helps you survive other challenges.

It's the same in every aspect of this game. You play, you die, you avoid dying that way again later.

It's not a hard game if you are careful and prepared for what you're up against.

Good for you. Cause for me its the most boring multiplayer game ever made.

Then play single player? if you find multiplayer boring then it sounds like a personal problem and not a problem with the game. Again it's in beta so expect it to have some sort of problem one way or another and we get you hate it and it's ok most of the other people love it and uncountable amount of others wish they could try it. So be happy you're one of the very very few they get to try it out :)

now excuse me I'll be waiting for my number to be called out (now calling 124) "looks at ticket 234,240" DAMNIT!

You know what will be really fun? DST Adventure mode: didn't think about that, did you? Besides, we have a lot of mods to include. A lot of character mods would make the game very amazing. I myself have found some amazing character mods, which I think should even be in the game, such as Minari the Renegade Nightmare. Me and some other people are creating a mod project. You'll see that this will be very fun with DST, if not just with Single player!

Option 2:  Going through the Potato-porter makes enemies stronger/faster/have more resilience.  This would also synergize well with leveling up your own character as well as providing the obvious solution to finite resources which games like Minecraft eventually can be plagued by with enough hours logged.

Option 3:  Introduce mini-objectives that Maxwell requires.  This could be find and kill a Spider Queen, offer up a sacrifice of a certain type of food dish, mass-kill 10~20 beefalo/spiders/fishmen/frogs/other plentiful creature, desecrate 5~10 grave stones, etc.  The penalty to not completing this could be more randomized attacks, darkness to come sooner (think of Labyrinth and what Bowie does), inflicting a stronger hunger/sanity loss, or slowly taking Damage over Time.  The only other way to escape completing these objectives would be fleeing to a new world.

I like these ideas, though not so much with leveling up characters. If you want different advantages, play a different character.

Stronger enemies with each success (you learn from the world and the world should learn from you) and an in-game official Pain Randomizer.

Yes and no.   At the moment it's pretty bare bones, but I've had other problems, other than the one's you've pointed out. 

1) There really isn't any time to do anything before the host logs out and bye bye server.  Don't starve is a game that takes hours to play and really get going, so starting out with nothing is..... not the best idea.

I've played about 6 games now, and all i've done is quickly scavenge food and then try to rush a log suit/spear so i could poke other players.  No times has this been done successfully, though not for lack of trying >=).  The guy always left or i couldn't find anyone before that could happen.

you mean to tell me you are legitimatly trying to pub ? You crazy. dont starve is at best a coop experience , not a multiplayer one. there is a difference. It simply does not lend itsself well to casual drop in and drop out gameplay.

It won't be bad once we get larger, dedicated servers with a high max player count.

But the average person's pub adventures will most likely be self-contained.

I suppose there may be benefits to quick gameplay---playing with friends can always be cut short so results usually are demanded and expected a little bit faster--that's the bright side anyway. It wouldn't be fun either if everything went so slowly, right?

We'll be posting about what is coming, what is changing, and how things will be going forward pretty soon.

The game is not really supposed to be in tip-top shape that it's entirely fair to make this kind of assessment yet. But, thanks for your feedback; we are certainly aware that we have a while to go before everything is in order.

So, keep an eye out; we'll be posting up some info soon.

this is off the topic of boring, but is there any news about dedicated servers, that sort of thing?

Archived