Company helps maintain Sanity

It's common knowledge that when spending too much time alone can be bad for one's mental health, while having companionship avoids this. Think of Tom Hanks with his volleyball. I think that at night if you are sharing a fire with another player then the darkness should not lower sanity, or maybe do so at a slower rate. Also, perhaps during day if you are doing tasks together or talking or something it can increase sanity level. Another detail could be after being around the same person over long periods of time, the sanity benefits become less, as you "get tired" of being around the same person. They sanity boost should never become 0 for the being around the same person, but it could lessen after having spent a whole winter together or something.

post-477213-0-44138500-1414093962_thumb.

Yeah I dont understand why this isn't in the game already.  Agreed it shouldn't be a huge bonus but if you say have a party of 4 then yeah that should cancel or slightly increase sanity in the night.  This mechanic would promote working together rather than separately.  I don't see it being a huge problem or game breaking because quite honestly I rarely see more than 2 people on my screen at a time.  Also proximity should be key, like the same distance you have to be from a pig to gain a sanity aura.  That way you dont get sanity bonus just for having them on the screen.

I'm all in for allies having a positive effect on one's sanity. Here are some of my ideas on this topic:

• Situation #1: You're sanity stops decreasing with a nearby ally with +sanity rate, each ally with +sanity rate buffs increases your +sanity rate by a percentage based on allies buffs for them selves. and vice versa, allies with -sanity rate buff increases your -sanity rate...and so on.
  • Situation #2: Playing instruments near an ally increases +sanity rate or just adds flat +sanity to everyone nearby the instrument being played. +Sanity only occurs once a day(variable)
  • Situation #3: Being given food or clothing adds flat +sanity to both donor and recipient. +Sanity only occurs once a day(variable). Food and clothing quality may affect how much flat ±sanity  is given.
  • Situation #4: Clicking allies that triggers "Hello Wilson!" or "Is that a mirror?". This may somewhat be the only current equivalent to "Good morning/afternoon/evening _character_!". This will give flat +sanity. +Sanity only occurs once a day(variable)

... I could probably think of more situations, but I guess you've already thought about these things. Just chippin' in, that's all. 

I agree it's definitely more realistic that being near or close to someone else would cause a positive effect to sanity gain. I could see for most of the time people are probably not going to stand on top of someone all during the day, but if the effect is for maybe one time of the day, I was thinking like night around a camp fire or so. Close and not getting in the way of someone else trying to do something because someone is after the effect. lol. I don't know how the "pvp" aspect works or hitting/attacking other players, if that's a option you can change when you create a server, but I would hate to accidentally click and stab someone trying to get the effect, while I trying to get some work done. lol So, perhaps a decent range on it would be best. hehe.  Doesn't need to be a major effect or something that lasts all day and night, only part time. I wouldn't know how to best implement it, but I do like the idea for sure.

Some nice ideas here!

Would this positive effect take into account if you're around someone for so long and you've become sick of them it turns into a negative effect!  Can't just stay huddled around the campfire in the winter, you'll have to go exploring seperately to get your own free/alone time, or else winter won't drive you crazy, but hearing the same jokes and same stories from the same person surely will! :jaded:

Would this positive effect take into account if you're around someone for so long and you've become sick of them it turns into a negative effect!  Can't just stay huddled around the campfire in the winter, you'll have to go exploring seperately to get your own free/alone time, or else winter won't drive you crazy, but hearing the same jokes and same stories from the same person surely will! :jaded:

*Blackjack's DevilsSlide* Clearly, he's just saying that due to his insanity. Don't worry! I'll handle this. *Drags away the body*

pkHcved.png

Read: Wilson's puns.

As cool and realistic as that sounds this would actually remove challenge from the game. Expecially during winter. Some players would like this, but i personally don't.

I don´t really find keeping sanity up a challenge anymore. All you need is Glommer and a Tam o' Shanter, and you should be good.

I think this makes a lot of sense. 

Everyone should have to wear party hats made from flowers. Anyone without a party hat has to lose sanity when near other party goers.

Party hatless people are not allowed to question logic on forums, that is reserved for the party hat people only.

I'm all in for allies having a positive effect on one's sanity. Here are some of my ideas on this topic:

• Situation #1: You're sanity stops decreasing with a nearby ally with +sanity rate, each ally with +sanity rate buffs increases your +sanity rate by a percentage based on allies buffs for them selves. and vice versa, allies with -sanity rate buff increases your -sanity rate...and so on.
  • Situation #2: Playing instruments near an ally increases +sanity rate or just adds flat +sanity to everyone nearby the instrument being played. +Sanity only occurs once a day(variable)
  • Situation #3: Being given food or clothing adds flat +sanity to both donor and recipient. +Sanity only occurs once a day(variable). Food and clothing quality may affect how much flat ±sanity  is given.
  • Situation #4: Clicking allies that triggers "Hello Wilson!" or "Is that a mirror?". This may somewhat be the only current equivalent to "Good morning/afternoon/evening _character_!". This will give flat +sanity. +Sanity only occurs once a day(variable)

... I could probably think of more situations, but I guess you've already thought about these things. Just chippin' in, that's all. 

I really like ideas #2 & #3. Here's to hoping that Klei will implement more systems that benefit us for working together.

@Fndsh1 I'd like to think that Klei would do actually something like these, but maybe in an entirely different way. Multiplayer in any game circles around player interactions, so it's highly unlikely that they haven't thought about these possibilities in some way or form. 

Thanks for the reply man. Cheers!

@Fndsh1 I'd like to think that Klei would do actually something like these, but maybe in an entirely different way. Multiplayer in any game circles around player interactions, so it's highly unlikely that they haven't thought about these possibilities in some way or form. 

Thanks for the reply man. Cheers!

I'm a female, but cheers to you, your ideas, and Klei!

I really like ideas #2 & #3. Here's to hoping that Klei will implement more systems that benefit us for working together.

Idea 3 is infinite sanity forever cos giving eachother 1 piece of clothing until u have full sanity, unless it takes 1-2 durability down each time its given and it only gives 1-2 sanity at a time...

It's common knowledge that when spending too much time alone can be bad for one's mental health, while having companionship avoids this. Think of Tom Hanks with his volleyball. I think that at night if you are sharing a fire with another player then the darkness should not lower sanity, or maybe do so at a slower rate. Also, perhaps during day if you are doing tasks together or talking or something it can increase sanity level. Another detail could be after being around the same person over long periods of time, the sanity benefits become less, as you "get tired" of being around the same person. They sanity boost should never become 0 for the being around the same person, but it could lessen after having spent a whole winter together or something.

attachicon.gifwilson.jpg

Wilson should have something like the companion cube from portal.

I too, would like a sanity boost from the random fellow survivors spewing out random swears and burning/hammering bases down before they leave!

No, no need for this at all. Befriend a pigman and "hug" it for an easy way to regain sanity. That method is already a very easy way to regain sanity, along with cooked green mushrooms.

Archived