What characters make the best team?

While we are all awaiting the first set of keys, I thought it might be fun to talk about what characters make the best teams on a server with maybe 2-4 people.

I think Webber and Wigfred would work well together. Spider armies to gather regular and monster meat, a good fighting force from both characters, plenty of silk for bird traps and bug nets (and consequently plenty of honey ham).

What do you all think? Who makes the perfect team?

I think Wickerbottom will be a really great asset to any team; starting out with a science boost and then being able to do some sweet damage with her books later on.
After that, someone for fighting, like Wolfgang or Wigfrid.
If you want to make a base, with walls and floors and everything, Woodie's good for that and also can double as a fighting tank in some situations XD
After that it depends...Wilson's got the beard hair, so, he can serve as an effigy farm if nothing else. 

If special items are shareable, I think Wickerbottom + Maxwell makes one of the best two-player combos. Maxwell can use the books with no problem, and Wickerbottom can make them. It lacks a little in general fighting utility, though, so I would probably add Wigfrid, who can provide battle spears and helms for everyone else too.

I was originally thinking Wilson would be good for the beard hair, but with the changes to revive mechanics, life-giving amulets and telltale hearts seem like much better options.

As for who would be my choice for a fourth character, I'm not sure... maybe Woodie for some even stronger fighting capability when needed? I haven't played him though, so I'm not sure on the general feasibility of transforming when you need to (e.g. to fight a giant). If it is feasible, then he gets balanced out quite nicely by having non-Woodie teammates who can do the tree chopping with Lucy when he doesn't want to transform. But maybe they'll make all Lucy chops contribute...

Ez question: WX-420. As.Many.As.Possible.

Gaaah!  Troll... so heavy.  Can't... breath.  Can't... be bothered... to look up clever pic depicting troll.

If special items are shareable, I think Wickerbottom + Maxwell makes one of the best two-player combos. Maxwell can use the books with no problem, and Wickerbottom can make them. It lacks a little in general fighting utility, though, so I would probably add Wigfrid, who can provide battle spears and helms for everyone else too.

I was originally thinking Wilson would be good for the beard hair, but with the changes to revive mechanics, life-giving amulets and telltale hearts seem like much better options.

As for who would be my choice for a fourth character, I'm not sure... maybe Woodie for some even stronger fighting capability when needed? I haven't played him though, so I'm not sure on the general feasibility of transforming when you need to (e.g. to fight a giant). If it is feasible, then he gets balanced out quite nicely by having non-Woodie teammates who can do the tree chopping with Lucy when he doesn't want to transform. But maybe they'll make all Lucy chops contribute...

Those are some really interesting points that pique my interest.  I wonder if other players will be able to use Wickerbottom's books or if Wigfred could make her helmets and spears for her teammates and have them be as effective.  That would make a huge difference.

Well, imagine you are on a two player server and die. There are no touchstones nearby/left. The other player is either to far away in a cave or is also dead. What do you do now? Meat Effigies are still really important.

Also like Warewolves said, Wilson can survive longest in Winter, meaning he is really good at doing stuff in winter while the others freeze.

I think Wilson and Wendy would make a nice team. Wilson for his beard and Wendy (Abigail) for fighting spiders, bees, and other monsters. Also she doens't loose so much sanity so Wilson can eat all the cooked green mushrooms. =D

Well, imagine you are on a two player server and die. There are no touchstones nearby/left. The other player is either to far away in a cave or is also dead. What do you do now? Meat Effigies are still really important.

Also like Warewolves said, Wilson can survive longest in Winter, meaning he is really good at doing stuff in winter while the others freeze.

I think Wilson and Wendy would make a nice team. Wilson for his beard and Wendy (Abigail) for fighting spiders, bees, and other monsters. Also she doens't loose so much sanity so Wilson can eat all the cooked green mushrooms. =D

You can carry a life-giving amulet and then haunt it when it drops from your corpse. Easier to make than Meat Effigies, and more convenient.

You can carry a life-giving amulet and then haunt it when it drops from your corpse. Easier to make than Meat Effigies, and more convenient.

Really? =O

Well.. Meat Effigies just became absolutely useless then. :wilsondisapproving:

I thought another player has to give it.  I hope they'll change it, so it becomes a bit more usefull somehow.

But even now I know that, I would still choose Wilson and Wendy.^^

Edit: I misread live-giving amulet somehow. I thought he meant the heart. Meat effigies still usefull. ;D

Really? =O

Well.. Meat Effigies just became absolutely useless then. :wilsondisapproving:

I thought another player has to give it.  I hope they'll change it, so it becomes a bit more usefull somehow.

But even now I know that, I would still choose Wilson and Wendy.^^

Other players have to give Telltale Hearts, but it looked like those were way easier to craft (something involving spider glands, but we didn't see the rest of it).

Other players have to give Telltale Hearts, but it looked like those were way easier to craft (something involving spider glands, but we didn't see the rest of it).

Ohhh, I misread your first reply "You can haunt LIVE-GIVING AMULET"  I somehow thought you meant the heart. Well, amulets are kind of expensive, you don't always have them and as I said, if everyone is dead you could still haunt Meat Effigies to get back to life. And now stop confusing me! ;D

Anyway, lets not get too off-topc here. Best Teams.

I think Wolfgang wouldn't be such a great team mate because he needs so much food..

And Webber could be a bit problematic but at the same time could be quite helpfull.

For a group of 4, i would love to have:

1. Wickerbottom (The science boost is great for the entire group)
  2. Wolfgang (The combat boost when he as a full belly)
  3. WX-78 (Needing less proper food, he could take the stale stuff whilst more fresh things are left for the group. He wouldalso be a sweet tank if he consumes gears later))
  4. Wilson (For the beard hair, He'd supply the team with a good supply of respawns, even though there are things to revive friends with anyways. You know, as a worst-case scenario. Also, hunting besardlings sucks. so yeah.)

Now, About Webber and wigfred (I believe they're called) I have no clue of what they can do as they're both parts of the ROG DLC. Wich i haven't played.

Is... is that a thing?  Are they doing that?  For certain?  That would be SO SWEET!

I was trying to think of a good team using Woodie, but it seems like he would be difficult to play with unless the team jumped worlds a lot.  It would be great because you could set up a sweet berry/grass/twig farm REALLY fast, not to mention gathering logs, stone, etc.  And you would have a strong fighter. But every time he transforms he needs to eat resources, and not all of them are renewable.  Plus he would need to be nursed back to health after every transformation.

Stupid question time but why play Wolfgang when you can play with Wigfrid and her starting weapons/abilities for boosted combat  and not have the Hunger penalties? The meat only seems a small price for Health/Sanity mitigation per kill.

But I admit, I am not an expert in Wolfie (I miss ya Teo) as much as WX, Wilson, and possibly soon Wigfrid for instance.   

Stupid question time but why play Wolfgang when you can play with Wigfrid and her starting weapons/abilities for boosted combat  and not have the Hunger penalties? The meat only seems a small price for Health/Sanity mitigation per kill.

But I admit, I am not an expert in Wolfie (I miss ya Teo) as much as WX, Wilson, and possibly soon Wigfrid for instance.   

Well, DST isn't going to support ROG, And i believe Wigfrid is a DLC character. So, yeah. Wolfgang.

For 4 people, I think the best would be:

WX-78 - OPness with gears and lightning

Wigfrid - Best easy-to-make armor and weaponry, plus gains sanity and health from killing enemies

Woodie - has an everlasting axe, plus in werebeever mode, can break things without needing tools, which other players can then collect on the way

Willow - fire resistance, which would be great when fighting against Dragonfly, has an everlasting & portable light source

Reasons why not including other characters:

Wilson - his beard hair can easily be gained through insanity with the team above and he has no other perks

Wendy - has Abigail, but that's not enough. Abigail is too easy to kill and takes quite the time to respawn and Wendy doesn't hit very well

Wolfgang, has more strength at full hunger, but hunger drains quicker and his perks are technically nerfed due to wigfrid

Wickerbottom - can craft almost everything with just a science machine, but her books needs resources that take long time to gather and are also quite difficult to. Besides, due to her not sleeping, she can easily go insane, especially if she uses her books, which doesn't help much

Maxwell - He can use Dark swords and night armor without draining sanity, but his shadow puppets summoned through Codex Umbra drain his max sanity, ergo making his sanity drain quite easily, actually, even when not intended. Not even the nightmare amulet would be needed to make him insane

Webber - he might be good with spiders, but he is not good enough, making him (to me) seem like a custom/unfinished character

Wes - speaks for himself (not; to don, tishsh)

Why the cons of the chosen team doesn't really matter:

WX-78 - already being OP, rain is like pffft when you're deeper into game. Besides, just put on rain coat/eyebrella during rain and you've nailed it!

Wigfrid - getting meat with THESE kind of allies, makes it nil problem

Woodie - has he even got cons? His werebeever mode could be a con, but in this case it's a pro (sorry, HE is a pro)

Willow - she might have low stats, but she is immune to fire as well as night. Having team like this, should be no problem to get stats back up

After ROG support comes out, people will probably play wigfrid more, but wolfgang is still good, due to the fact he can eat non meats if in a pinch to boost his strength.

Archived