[Crash] - Game client crashes after displaying "Early access" welcome message

Bug Submission:

Category: Crash

Platform: PC

Issue Title: Game client crashes after displaying "Early access" welcome message

Issue Description: I've run the game several times today, but now it keeps closing the client a few seconds after startup.

Snippet from log file:

Sep 01 13:22:17 -- ### ABORTING: FATAL SCRIPT ERROR ###

client/strict.lua:30: variable 'EARLY_ACCESS_IMMINENT' is not declared

I tried verifying Steam game files and I tried reinstalling the game files through Steam. No luck.

I am a professional QA Tester. Let me know if you need more info from me regarding this issue. :)

Steps to Reproduce: N/A

Perhaps you can reproduce it by impersonating my account? My Steam ID: CreekDK

Hi - I noticed yesterday when I was playing that the new build is coming today or tomorrow - I am also having this problem.

Perhaps it is related to the update, as the game works neither on hp laptop, Uber-PC or even my neighbours.

I think that the game will be back. This must be some away team error.

Been meaning to do the new shadowrun berlin campaign anyway :p

This seems like a great opportunity to put the hardcore Invisible Inc tactical skills to use!
I spent most of last night trying to revive one character... Took me about 1 hour - Deckard sold everything the team owned, bar the medgel, for bullets - but everyone escaped alive!!! (except the 6 dead guards).

Tense. I hope it's back online soon! I wanna revel in the amazingness that is a team with no kit or upgrades at all on day 3!

I was about to post a new thread here about this but see multiple people have beaten me. I'm on a macbook pro, could play last night but not this morning. Doesn't let me get to first screen, just black screen on startup. This is part of why we saved huge $3 though right? To have a semi-playable game and be their (paying) beta testers for them :)

You can "fix" this yourself by defining the "EARLY_ACCESS_IMMINENT" variable somewhere in one of the lua files. I put this line:

EARLY_ACCESS_IMMINENT = "Blah"

At the top of the <your steam folder>/SteamApps/common/InvisibleInc/client/strict.lua file and it doesn't crash now.

You can "fix" this yourself by defining the "EARLY_ACCESS_IMMINENT" variable somewhere in one of the lua files. I put this line:

At the top of the <your steam folder>/SteamApps/common/InvisibleInc/client/strict.lua file and it doesn't crash now.

This worked for me as well. At least it can start now. Thanks! :-) 

Worked for me too.

Huh. And here I was reinstalling graphics drivers and the like to try and get this working. Any ETA on a fix?

I should probably clarify that when I used quotes around "fix", I didn't mean that it's not a real fix - there's no side effects or anything.

The thing causing the crash is that Klei must have forgotten to assign a value to the EARLY_ACCESS_IMMINENT variable which is responsible for storing the date of the next build release - when the game can't find that variable, it crashes. The fix just involves setting a value for that variable yourself.

I've been trying for over an hour now to do this "fix" on a mac. How the heck do you find the strict.lua file on a mac. I'm searching google for the answer but best I got so far is open Finder, Go tab, press Alt to see library which I open but cannot find it there. I've opened steam to find where it saves and see folders and files there that I cannot see in Finder. 

If its so easy to just change the value of the early access imminent why can't Klei do it? 

edit - So I got this - Go to your Home Pathe (~)/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/InvisibleInc/InvisibleInc.app/Contents/Resources/client/states

So I get as far as the InvisibleInc.app part but cannot see Contents or anything after that

This is so frustrating. I hate Klei right now. Playing the game is a piece of cake compared to this nonsense 

this is a great quick & dirty fix!

thanks so much!

In state-main-menu.lua, theres this:

--almost there!		if daysToNextBuild == nil or daysToNextBuild.day <= 1 then			updateStatus = EARLY_ACCESS_IMMINENT		else			updateStatus = string.format( STRINGS.UI.EARLY_ACCESS_DAYS, daysToNextBuild.day )		end

That's why it triggered today, and not before. It was a time bomb bug :p

Archived