Shadow Hands Stealing Fire

Now I imagine this scenario happening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just walkin' along and I find a nice person, we decide to be friends temporarily because night is coming soon and we are both low on resources.

Since it's summer the night is short enough, we only needed a campfire and put 1 log on it. 

So i'm sitting there, and I didn't know the other guy was low on sanity! 

Shadow hand comes, takes away fire, we both die a horrible death from Charlie. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone got some idea to resolve this?

@Maximum124 How will you see the shadow hands to step on them if your sanity isn't low?

We have no clue how sanity will work, so really thats the only thing you can do depending on who can see them

if the other person who has the low sanity doesn't know what to do they should ask

If you can just see them just deal with them,

if the fire goes out, why dont you have a spare torch I mean really

Plus shadow hands dont take all the fire at once, just keep the fire well stocked and you'll be fine

We have no clue how sanity will work, so really thats the only thing you can do depending on who can see them

if the other person who has the low sanity doesn't know what to do they should ask

Plus shadow hands dont take all the fire at once, just keep the fire well stocked and you'll be fine

Except in the scenario he gave, he only had one log.

Except in the scenario he gave, he only had one log.

While that can happen I don't understand why they cant burn other stuff like grass and twigs, which can also be made into a torch

If you don't even have that death is coming for you anyway.

Oh so it's someone else's fault for being a noob and not having a spare torch! And what if we don't have the materials to add more to the fire!

Oh so it's someone else's fault for being a noob and not having a spare torch! And what if we don't have the materials to add more to the fire!

Then the fire will go out regardless of shadow hands, and you'll die anyway. You really need to stock up on wood and the like to survive.

Between two characters there is only one flammable item with 90 sec fuel value? Seriously, this type of players won't even survive the first night, and there is NO shadow hand at first night.

Oh ye of little faith: They placed the campfire right next to the evil flowers by the Totally Normal Tree, and guess where they stood on that night? :)

Oh ye of little faith: They placed the campfire right next to the evil flowers by the Totally Normal Tree, and guess where they stood on that night? :-)

I recall that the first time I played Don't Starve, I set up my base next to the ring of evil flowers that surrounded the Ring Thing, and quickly ended up going insane because I was not aware that you could pick flowers to regain sanity. My misery was ended when I ate a red cap out of desparation and died immediately.

But still, if you only have ONE LOG somehow (And really, how would something like that happen if there's two of you? Did none of you chop down a single tree?) you pretty much deserve a swift death to the Night Monster. It's your own fault for letting that happen!

Well, it's canonical that the shadow creatures aren't actually halucinations, but rather real beings which are attracted by insanity. The real question is whether or not a sane person being there would be enough to drive them away.

I recall that the first time I played Don't Starve, I set up my base next to the ring of evil flowers that surrounded the Ring Thing, and quickly ended up going insane because I was not aware that you could pick flowers to regain sanity. My misery was ended when I ate a red cap out of desparation and died immediately.

But still, if you only have ONE LOG somehow (And really, how would something like that happen if there's two of you? Did none of you chop down a single tree?) you pretty much deserve a swift death to the Night Monster. It's your own fault for letting that happen!

I was just playing with "never underestimate the stupid moves of players doing something so outrageous." Wasn't being serious, as in :D from my earlier post. 

Well, it's canonical that the shadow creatures aren't actually halucinations, but rather real beings which are attracted by insanity. The real question is whether or not a sane person being there would be enough to drive them away.

If sane pigs can't hold them back, nothing will... bar a few cooked green mushrooms.

I have to agree that if you are in a situtation where with a short night (so you've had a very long time to forage), two characters between them have only one log and absolutely no other flammable items........you're doing something very wrong.

You don't understand, my axe may have broke. And we couldn't find flint cause other players have already took it. So then that person will have to pay the price of the stranger having low sanity.

I think you are missing the point: Can another players insanity cause a sane players fire to randomly go out?

Yeah, that's the main point really.

I have to agree that if you are in a situtation where with a short night (so you've had a very long time to forage), two characters between them have only one log and absolutely no other flammable items........you're doing something very wrong.

Remember it's multiplayer. Almost all flammable items may already be scavenged.

If you are in an area pre-scavenged, I'd head to any forest biome once nightfall started to loom. Worst-case scenario, one firefly is all you need to keep Charlie at bay. Just repeatedly bouncing in and out of the firefly's location will be sufficient to avoid Charlie.

You don't understand, my axe may have broke. And we couldn't find flint cause other players have already took it. So then that person will have to pay the price of the stranger having low sanity.

Yeah, that's the main point really.

According to Seth:

''if you're insane, you experience the effects; if you're not, you don't. The difference here is that when you go insane, there could already be shadow creatures nearby if a friend went insane before you.

... ...

If you have two insane players in one place, you'll get more shadow creatures, but both players will be able to attack all of them''

So, the night hand can be there but you won't see it if you're the one who's NOT INSANE.

Archived