"Competitive" Multi-Player Ideas

I'm new to Don't Starve, but I am (as many) excited about the idea of the Multi-Player, Don't Starve Together, update that I hear is in the pipeline.

I like the idea of working together with my friends to survive in Don't Starve, but I'm aware of people wanting to do competitive survival together as well.

So, I was thinking of some options that I think would add to some interesting competitive gameplay in the game.

OPTIONS (So people can turn them on or off):

1. Players can't take items from other people's boxes.

2. Players can or can not attack each other.

3. Players can not light other player's boxes or buildings on fire.

4. Players can not build with-in a certain distance of another player's structure(s).

5. Players must build with-in a certain distance of a fire pit or other building, so they can't spread or sprawl out very easily.

6. Players can't see other players traps and can be hurt by them.

Perhaps you guys have already thought of these things, but in case not, I hope you are able to read this post before too long.

As with all things, I think their will be options. That said, I still think the default settings are important, as to me anyway I have always felt that the default settings were the 'true' game.

I think the best solution for a lot of these things are integrating new items into the game. E.g.

1. Player's can take things from each other's basic boxes, but you can make a 'soul' chest that is a)indestructible to other players hammers and fire, and b) cannot be opened by other players.

2. Attack or not is just going to be an option, already confirmed.

3. Lighting other players stuff on fire - as part of the default mode this should be possible, but there should also be an easily made item that prevents it from happening in a radius (like lightning rod). I.e. "Perplexing Heat Vacuum - 1 charcoal, 1 ash, 1 log, 1 gold - prevents anyone from lighting anything on fire in a radius, but does not effect lightning/overheating"

4. Maybe another item that stops this. Or make an item combining my suggestion above - "Negative Soul Interference Shield" - prevents interaction with anything in a radius for all but your character.

5. Don't see any reason for this. 

6. Maybe you could see the traps just, but they are quite hard and you have to keep an eye out for them, like Tentacles rising in the swamp. 

Overall I don't like the idea of arbitrarily defining if you can set things on fire or not for example, and would like to see solutions and interactions regarding these decisions built into the game rather than having everything decided by a pregame option. Especially given how long the games are it would be nice to not get 30 days in and decide you want to spice things up but be unable to because of an option you set at the start. 

Archived