A compilation of all Klei dev replies regarding DST

Tired of looking through all the threads to find Klei dev replies regarding DST? Then this is the thread for you. All the official news, even the smallest bit, regarding DST, can be found right here(both past and future replies will be in this very OP)! I'll do my best to include all the replies sorted by date (starting with the earliest), if I missed any feel free to let me know :-)

6 May 2014: DST announced: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35989-dont-starve-together-multiplayer-officially-coming-summer-2014/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 May 2014: We'll be able to list games through the system, a sub-forum to advertise people's games has also been mentioned: 

You will be able to list your game through the system. If there is going to be people advertising their game, they will have to do it in a specific subforum. 

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36072-the-problems-with-togetherness/#entry473318

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 May 2014: It is currently unknown if DST will make it to PS4, Klei would want to deliver though:

We would definitely like to bring it to PS4, but there are a lot of considerations that need to be made to bring it to PS4. So, we are not able to say whether it will, or will not happen yet. 

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36299-omg-please-say-its-coming-to-ps4-eventually/#entry477563

9 June 2014: A minimum of 4 players can play in a server at once, though you don't HAVE to get 3 other players to join you, even 1 is fine:

To clarify, the "4 players minimum" is our minimum number for how many people could be able to play at once. 

This means, that if you want to play with one, two, three other people in a multiplayer world, go for it. It is not likely that there would be an actual minimum for how many people would be able to play. 

And, to be clear, this number could be more, but for now we are promising a minimum of up to 4 players who can play at once.

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37299-instead-of-4-player-minimum-would-you-rather-have-2-minimum/#entry497411

10 June 2014: Another reply about the amount of players in a DST server:

Jeesh, Why do you guys have to make this so complicated?

At the least we will probably have more than 1 but less than 30. The minimum that we expect to have a time will be determined by how many we can have with more than one person as long as it is less than 5. So probably 2 or 4 but a minimum of 4 and a maximum of anything over 3 unless it is more than 4. Unless we can do more than 4 in which case the minimum might be double the maximum give or take 1 or 2, but definitely at least 5, but it's going to be at least 4. 

Now that we have that squared away. The maximum will probably be about double the minimum unless there is only a single digit minimum in which case it is still double, but maybe add another to even it out. 

Or, what @spiritcrusher77 said. The minimum max number of players we are aiming at is 4, but we hope to go higher than that. I don't imagine there would be an actual minimum number of players. It's really going to depend on a number of things including how it works out gameplay wise. 

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37282-more-characters/#entry497535

11 June 2014: Various topics like a lack of trailer, and at what point in development DST is. Might be more info available in a week:

If we would have waited, after RoG, everybody would have been asking what's going on and there really wouldn't be anything to talk about and people would be significantly more annoyed with us. 

I think we may be far enough that I will have some things we can talk about maybe next week? Thing is, we are almost entirely in an engineering phase right now, and there is a lot to be worked out that really doesn't translate well to conversation as it's just hooking things up to do what they are supposed to do. 

We have ideas on how we want to approach things, but we are still a ways off from knowing the answers. All the interesting questions are still just interesting questions at this point.

Likely you would see a trailer at the point that multiplayer hits steam, which would be a little while after it's available for testing; depending on how the testing works out. 

I'll see what kind of info I can cobble together for all the knowns and known unknowns and see when I will be able to put something together for you. 

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37335-when-will-we-see-a-trailer/#entry498124

11 June 2014: Feedback in this stage of development matters a lot, so go and provide it!:

It's not pointless at all. It lets us know how you guys think and what you guys would like to see. Just like any other point in the development of Don't Starve, it is crucial feedback that we really find important. 

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37359-why-i-dont-bother-posting-in-this-subforum/#entry498230

12 June 2014: The respawn mechanics in DST have been debated a bit by Klei, more info regarding DST TBA soon(?)

A bit, we all met yesterday and I have some stuff for you guys. I'll be posting up some info either today or tomorrow. 

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37359-why-i-dont-bother-posting-in-this-subforum/#entry498881

13 June 2014: Not Kevin replied in this very thread a message worth a thousand words:

:wilsondisappointed:

13 June 2014: A progress update for DST has been made! It covers where DST currently stands, what is left to do and more!: 

Hey Guys,

I know many of you have been anxiously waiting for more information about Don't Starve Together; so while I still can't provide much in the way of specific details on the game just yet, I can provide you guys some information that I think will answer some questions as well as giving you some more interesting things to discuss.

First of all, the response to Don't Starve Together has been amazing. For the most part we saw an outstanding amount of support and excitement for DST. Not everybody was super excited of course, and we are sorry for that, but hopefully everybody can understand that we just want to put together something that people will enjoy; unfortunately that's not always going to be what everybody wants but we will certainly try to keep in mind these concerns and they do help to influence and affect how we approach things.

While we can’t answer much right now, even just discussing your thoughts on how certain aspects of gameplay might work is very useful in letting us know your expectations and helps provide us a picture of what it is you guys would like to see.

Let me quickly run down where we are at. This is all going to be pretty loose in regards to info, and all of it is subject to change at any time, but for the most part, this should give you guys a good understanding of what is going on.

Where we were, and where we are now. 

When we first made the announcement we had a proof of concept, and that's pretty much it. A few people here at the office jumped into a game together and and poked around in a very simple version of Don't Starve. Most things weren't hooked up and only the most very basic functionality of the game existed. However, there was enough to see that multiplayer Don't Starve had a lot of potential and proved to be something we wanted to explore.

Since then we have been working on actually making things... work. As we have mentioned before, pretty much every single part of Don't Starve needs to be changed in one way or the other to support multiplayer gameplay. Simply put, every little piece of the game has to be made to so that game client works with it in a different way than than it would with single player. When one player picks up some berries, everybody else playing needs to be updated with this information as well.

I don't know all the details there because that's for the programming wizards, but suffice it to say that it's a ton of work. And it's coming along really well. They ran their first successful test across the internet (not just through the local network) last night, and things seem to be looking even better than they had hoped.

So this means the actual engine behind the game communication across the internet is moving along quite well, but it still has a little while to go. Next week, we are going to be cracking into the actual gameplay and beginning to address how the game would actually work as a multiplayer experience. While we have plenty of ideas, like anything with Don’t Starve, it’s all really going to come down to how it plays.

What we have to do.

Let me take a little step off to the side here for a minute and explain what it is that we have to do.

Essentially, we have a few parts to this project that I am guessing many of you would be interested in understanding a bit better.

First, we have the engine. This is the core of the game; all the systems and everything that makes the game possible to be played across a network. All the stuff I was talking about above, this is what we have been focused on since the announcement. We need this to be done before we can really see how the game functions as a multiplayer experience.

Then we have the gameplay itself. How do tents work? What happens when a player dies? How would sanity work? Moggles? All the stuff you guys really want to know. This is the stuff that is really going to need to be investigated, tested and addressed to work in multiplayer, but still remain a distinctively "Don't Starve" experience. I will go into more detail about where we are going here later.

Then we have operations. One of the biggest challenges we face with Don't Starve is how it will function operationally. How can we make sure people have positive experiences with other players? How will players find each other? How many people should play together? Can we keep the game "safe" for younger players? We don't have answers to these questions; we have some ideas, but we aren't quite ready to look into answering these questions yet.

What we know. 

So, now that we got that out of the way, here is what we know. Again, much of this is pretty light on the detail, but this is really to give you more of a sense of how we are approaching answering all the same questions that you have.

We know you guys have a lot of ideas and opinions on what you would like to see in Don't Starve Together. Thanks for all the awesome feedback and suggestions, they really have gone a long way to let us know your concerns and it really gives us some great things to think about as we move toward giving you guys something to check out for yourselves.

We know you guys need choices. This means that many things in Don't Starve Together will be optional. We will provide you many choices for how DST will be played. This means, similar to the world generation options in single player Don't Starve, DST will include several toggles and options for you to choose how your game will be played. Persistence/Session, PvP/Co-op/, World Size, possible alternate game modes and Chat will all be optional in your game.

How you'll play.

So how will your games be played? Well we aren't all the way there yet, but we are working toward a few things here. This is pretty straightforward stuff.

First, dedicated servers. We will provide a standalone server that will allow you to set up your own dedicated servers on whatever host you want whether it be from home or from a 3rd party host.

In addition, you will also be able to play local games that you will not need to run a dedicated server to play. So, all you couples and families can not starve together

Next, we have matchmaking.

This one is pretty simple. There are not many questions here. You will be able to choose to play with friends or strangers. There will be a server list in the game that you can jump into public games at any time. This is of course optional for the server operator to appear on this list. Servers may also show up on this list but require a password. How this all appears is still TBD, but we want it to be as easy as possible for you to find a game at any time. However, what is most important is that this remains as much a positive experience as possible. We definitely intend to do everything we can to avoid chaos here. There will likely be a sort of reputation system that will all people to choose "official community" servers and "off the grid" servers. That means, if you want to play with others in completely off the rails experiences, go for it. But, for everybody else, they should know what to expect.

Now that we have covered the operation and functional end of things, how about gameplay?

Items need to be balanced, mechanics need to be addressed and potentially even new interesting features and mechanics will be introduced. But we don't have a heck of a lot of information here yet.

We do know that much of this might come down to optional choices. For example, permadeath; one of the hotter topics. It's pretty safe to say that this will be a choice for the server operator here. How exactly it works is still unknown, but we do feel that in order to have the best experience for everybody, we need to provide this as an optional aspect of Don't Starve Together.

More about gameplay

To reiterate, we have a lot to do here and we are aware that we don’t know exactly what we are up against. However, once we get into the thick of it, we are going to be checking in with you guys pretty often to let you know where we are at and what kinds of things you have to look forward too.

Mod support

Mods will be supported. How exactly they will be worked out is still being worked on, for all the reasons stated above. But it should be noted that we consider it a high priority item and our aim is to make mods as easy as possible to access and use in multiplayer.  

TL;DR is that we are about half-way to really having something ready for people to play.

Please keep up all the great suggestions and feedback!

13 June 2014: PvP will be optional in DST: 

PvP will be optional.

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37450-dont-starve-together-progress-report/#entry499760

JoeW replied to this thread. It is related to DST. Please update the OP with this insightful and relevant reply.

It has been done.

Now, back on track, non-Kevins! You all may be awesome on your own, but you're not (brace yourselves...) @Kevin *the sound of moving curtains can be heard in the distance* .

JoeW.. JoeW.. JoeW.. JoeW..

The title should be called "JoeW's replies regarding DST". :-)

or "Not Kevin's replies regarding DST"

"Kevin"? Wow, that's really old school.

I Hope Not Kevin doesn't read this.

Who's not Kevin? You're not Kevin.

:wilsondisappointed:

post-267501-0-51191200-1402717068_thumb.

I'll show myself out now. 

Archived