Maybe things aren't what we think.

You know in the comic how Wilson is building that portal thing? Maybe you have to do that in singleplayer in order to play multiplayer. That would be interesting. Trying to get your friends far enough into the game to build the portal and all of that. Especially if they are new to the game.

Don't Starve is a single-player survival game. This really isn't like Minecraft, where you can go straight into multiplayer. As far as I know, this game doesn't want you to be baby-sitted by your friends, so it's obvious that they're going to want the players to actually know how to play the game before they do it with their friends.

The portal is probably going to be craftable, judging from the massive nudge we received.

(Sorry if I sound douchy; this is all too obvious to me)

I think the portal will be buildable by most likely Wilson (but any character knowing Klei wants things to be balanced). But I'm pretty sure Klei wants players to understand the meaning of "uncompromising survival" in order to play multiplayer so they don't have a million+ Wilsons running around saying "HOW DO I PLAY DIS GAME?" or "Y DID PIG KIL MI?" *capslock spam and bad grammar intended*

Accessing DST will most likely be possible through the main menu and a craftable. Getting into DST should be convenient and not a chore or an easy Debugspawn, though having the option for those that want to craft the Door would be nice too.

I feel having both options would be better, to avoid complaints about people just wanting to play DST.

If you had to access it in the actual game, it would be hard.  I don't think it would be a good idea for people to have to build a portal.  Most would use cheats.  If the person on your game is being a total idiot, then just kick them.  If they don't know how to survive well, you could teach them.  (Back to the subject)  It would be easier to have a multiplayer screen, because you could see the games, and the players in them.  If you did this in single player, then if you died, you would have to start over. 

Similar to what Spirit said. I think you have to build the portal atleast ONCE in a single player world and then activate it. Instead of waiting till you die you will unlock it right after you pull the lever. Then can access it via a main-menu button. I think it would be too tedious to open up a single-player game first everytime you want to play with multiplayer. This way will also stop inexperienced player from joining straight into multiplayer as the recipe will be quite complex. Being 5 silk, 8 rocks,4 berries and a bit of your own blood (health)

I think you're all overthinking this. The comic was done to get us thinking and excited. It also serves as a sort of an explanation as to how multiplayer is even canonically possible, instead of them just saying "yeah okay, Maxwell decided to put two people in the same world now".

We'll likely start in multiplayer right away, and it'll just be the assumption that at least one of the characters present built a portal, and that's why you're now together.

Don't Starve is a single-player survival game. This really isn't like Minecraft, where you can go straight into multiplayer. As far as I know, this game doesn't want you to be baby-sitted by your friends, so it's obvious that they're going to want the players to actually know how to play the game before they do it with their friends.

The portal is probably going to be craftable, judging from the massive nudge we received.

You just summed my opinion up for me.

Imo that'd be annoying, why not just to go straight to multiplayer? And even then people could easily DebugSpawn a portal.

I'm willing to bet console commands would be turned off at this point

I think the idea of having to make a portal in single player to get to multiplayer would be annoying and pointless. I would just end up making a new world and debug spawning one in, and just using that everytime I want to get to multiplayer. But then I would be giving up one of my very few save slots.

And if I didn't even have the option of debug spawning it? I would be pretty upset. It would just be a waste of my time.

I didn't think about only have to spawn it once, and that's not soooo bad, but it's still like TheGamer14 said - annoying and pointless.

And if I didn't even have the option of debug spawning it? I would be pretty upset. It would just be a waste of my time.

aka all ps4 users if they decided to implement something like that.

I think the portal will be buildable by most likely Wilson (but any character knowing Klei wants things to be balanced). But I'm pretty sure Klei wants players to understand the meaning of "uncompromising survival" in order to play multiplayer so they don't have a million+ Wilsons running around saying "HOW DO I PLAY DIS GAME?" or "Y DID PIG KIL MI?" *capslock spam and bad grammar intended*

Similar to what Spirit said. I think you have to build the portal atleast ONCE in a single player world and then activate it. Instead of waiting till you die you will unlock it right after you pull the lever. Then can access it via a main-menu button. I think it would be too tedious to open up a single-player game first everytime you want to play with multiplayer. This way will also stop inexperienced player from joining straight into multiplayer as the recipe will be quite complex. Being 5 silk, 8 rocks,4 berries and a bit of your own blood (health)

These kind of make sense to me. I mean myself, I'll probably stick to playing with friends I know in either real life or on Skype sopposed to just jumping randomly into a game, but if I were, I'd prefer to play with someone who at least knows a little bit about the game. It's not that I'm willing to teach, it's just I'd rather have people who know what they're doing at least a little bit in this case. 

Similar to how characters are unlocked, you don't have to survive x amount of days first just to play as Wendy, you just have to do it once. 

I agree with jbeetle. This is not a seamless MP game, with invasions or accidentally walking into other players. The modes will have a significant amount of differences, and for that reason I feel like marrying matchmaking to something in SP is a bad idea.

What would be good is if you had to go through single player and make the Wilson's door, to then go to a COMPLETELY new world (make one or join an existing one) which would be multiplayer. That way people would still experience the single player world so that they could afterwards play in multiplayer.

Or, you could make the Wilson's door and either you can go through it to your friends' worlds (if the world is enabled for allowing multiplayer) or if you have your world multiplayer allowed then people could go through it into your world: this second option actually would make more sense in terms of the story we already got revealed to in the puzzle.

What would be good is if you had to go through single player and make the Wilson's door, to then go to a COMPLETELY new world (make one or join an existing one) which would be multiplayer. 

No, it wouldn't.

Why not? The point is that people will stop playing or rarely play SP. You say stuff and don't explainyourself, so explain.

People that want to play single player will play single player. You shouldn't force them to with some arbitrary mechanic.

People that want to play single player will play single player. You shouldn't force them to with some arbitrary mechanic.

Who said force? I mentioned an OPTION of making your world available for multiplayer at the beginning so if you don't want people to visit your world, fine. Either way, even if you do set up the world to be available for multiplayer, you would still need to make Wilson's door in order to get your world into the Multiplayer world list, but it would get deleted if you jlgo through the door into someone elses' world.

The reason why this would be the best way is because it would match the cartoon that Klei gavr us: you make the machine, activate it and people can come and help you in your world, cause they didn't show Wilson going into a portal and going into a new world with other people in it, now did they?

Lets not make paradox and in this case game logic here!

Who said force? I mentioned an OPTION of making your world available for multiplayer at the beginning so if you don't want people to visit your world, fine. Either way, even if you do set up the world to be available for multiplayer, you would still need to make Wilson's door in order to get your world into the Multiplayer world list, but it would get deleted if you jlgo through the door into someone elses' world.

The reason why this would be the best way is because it would match the cartoon that Klei gavr us: you make the machine, activate it and people can come and help you in your world, cause they didn't show Wilson going into a portal and going into a new world with other people in it, now did they?

Lets not make paradox and in this case game logic here!

It doesn't matter if it's an "option" or not. It adds nothing to gameplay other than an annoying extra step to get to the entire point of this "DLC." Lore or not, it's unnecessary and a waste of time for the devs to create and implement such a feature. And I hope they use their time on something more useful (and by "useful" I mean contributes to the betterment of the game).

Also: 

Single player Don’t Starve will not be affected by the addition of multiplayer except for content or features not specifically related to multiplayer gameplay.

Well... this is actually exactly how I thought they'd do it... I just hope they don't... mostly because I'd just debug spawn it. A waste of time if you ask me.

I'm sure there are some items in Don't Starve without a debug spawn.

Archived