Communicating with Gestures

I would vote for only gestures, or even pre-set phrases like in dark souls.

In my opinion a "normal" chatsystem where you can type whatever you want would ruin the atmosphere.
Or let's say that you just bought the game and you jump in to multiplayer straight away (or after only playing a tiny bit of singleplayer) without any experience, than other more experienced people on the server could just spoil the whole game for you by telling you in chat what you should do to survive, what is good what is bad for you, the "secrets" out there etc.

Or let's say that you just bought the game and you jump in to multiplayer straight away (or after only playing a tiny bit of singleplayer) without any experience, than other more experienced people on the server could just spoil the whole game for you by telling you in chat what you should do to survive, what is good what is bad for you, the "secrets" out there etc.

That's a really good point. I've never thought of that before! :)

Yes.

No, it does make sense.

Please explain how.  Humanity rose above animals largely due to our development of language, which may be the single most important step in humanity achieving dominance over the planet.

How on earth does chat in one corner of the screen outweigh that advantage?

Wait, having a chat is a GREAT idea.  You could add sounds of the characters along with it, depending on how long the message is.  Although it should be toggled.  Like a tiny little bar in the corner, and it tells you, you have a new message.  Then when you have the time look at it.  Maybe in the top left corner, or a small part in the bottom left.  Since you are together, you should have some way of communication.  Maybe they should make papyrus writable.  Like a charcoal and a papyrus,combine them to make writable papyrus.  Then you could leave notes for your friends.  Like "Hey I left more food and logs in the chest by the fire pit.".  This should be combined with chat too.  Players need to know if a player is in trouble or lost.  

Please explain how.  Humanity rose above animals largely due to our development of language, which may be the single most important step in humanity achieving dominance over the planet.

How on earth does chat in one corner of the screen outweigh that advantage?

I´m not against communication, I think text should appear above player´s heads like when they examine objects in single-player.

What I don´t want is telepathy...Or cellphones...I´m pretty sure when we were surviving in the wild we didn´t have means of long distance communication. I think it´s pretty unrealistic to be able to talk to someone who is miles down in a cave while you are up in the surface.   

Archived