Communicating with Gestures

(I know one of you mods are going to merge this thread with another popular one, but please hold it! I can explain; I'm an attention-greedy bugger.)

I'm aware that people are suggesting chat/dialogue related communication, but I have a different proposal. How about using gestures to communicate with other players? A little similar to the preset dialogue idea, but it's more immersive than having a random player spam"I'M HUNGRY!" repeatedly.

There would be multiple gestures; ranging from, *Follow me*, *Rub stomach*, *Click heels*, *Greet*, *Dance*, *Shrug*, *Slump shoulders*, *Facepalm*, *Wink*, *Thumbs up*, *Stick tongue out*, *Nod*, *Shake head*, *Stretch*, or *Flip the bird* (probably not that).

I think I have a better way of satifying everyone with multiplayer communcation: more options.There should be an option to turn on multiplayer chat, but the preset dialogue or gestures should be premanent. This way, people could choose to have a more challenging (roguelike) experience with the Don't Starve multiplayer. I also think that there should be a way to toggle the multiplayer chat, as using the entire screen is very important in this game.

post-208058-0-34021900-1400347010.gif

Though mostly unnecessary, I really liked the extra umph emoticon expressions added to the game Maplestory. It's like taunts in an MMO, and I think it'd be neat and keep inline with the funny part of Don't Starve.

*gasp*

"Unnecessary?!" What is this maddness!?

Really though, I think expressions would be neat as well. Maxwell with a pokerface while Willow burns the entire base down. :-)

*gasp*

"Unnecessary?!" What is this maddness!?

Really though, I think expressions would be neat as well. Maxwell with a pokerface while Willow burns the entire base down. :-)

I wasn't trying to change your idea, merely saying what you thought of is a good idea and gave an example.

@Snob I like this. I've seen this been done in many online games. Numkey binds, to each of the normal nine gestures are used.

Edit: To add to gestures, what would be even better is a way to type our own 5 or less worded phrases, save them and bind them to the Numkeys. I know for a fact I'll be spamming "FUEL THAT FIRE!!!" so now instead of retyping, I can save bind it to a Num key.

I also think that there should be a way to toggle the multiplayer chat, as using the entire screen is very important in this game.

Are you really trying to argue that chat taking up one corner of the screen will harm your survival more than being able to read chat?

Because that makes absolutely zero sense.

I like these ideas! The gestures would be nice sinse it would be instead of putting amiley faces, lol (I'm thinking may be some gestures can't be done at a certain time when your hunger/sanity/health is low, cause why would you smile in a time like that?). And I thought disabling what people say would actually be kinda daft but if they are saying something you don't want then I'd think it's better you have the ability to switch the chat off or for a specific person may be.

How about if somebody says bad words or something other people don't like them saying, the people could kick them or vote them or somrthing and then after multiple warnings that person can only play as Wes in public worlds, as Wes is a mime and the person wouldn't be able to say anythjng bad as well as having the disadvantage of any special features except the balloons which still aren't that good...

great idea in general, the only problem is the amount of animations that the devs will need to make, but they can handle it(or not, who knows)

I don't think it would be that difficult to create and implement the animations. I mean, just look at what they did after the Chester Kickstarter.

38638c6dcefe66b529f87d313531ca9f_large.g

Kind of unusseful, because people can use Skype or chat rooms online... but is way cool , gesture can be used for talking to people in china or anouter countries (conbined with some talking words like "what you got" because the characters  talk) excluding wes.

I don't think it would be that difficult to create and implement the animations. I mean, just look at what they did after the Chester Kickstarter.

38638c6dcefe66b529f87d313531ca9f_large.g

yeah, but they'd have to make the same animation for each character, and they're hard work(this one probably took quite the time)

There is one gesture I'd sure like to have when playing with friends: a slap command. I'd want to have this so you can go up to and slap your friends if they're acting up or screwing around.

Probably just have the slap itself just do 1 damage and cause the slapped player to flinch just for extra emphasis (I wouldn't want the slap to be spammed however, wouldn't want Maxwell and Wilson to get into a sissy slap fight XD)

I'd imagine Wilson or Maxwell taking off their gloves (if they are wearing some, its hard to tell) or just take a glove out of their pockets and do a glove slap instead of outright slapping the other player. Alternatively, this could be used to challenge another player to a duel since it was used by gentleman back in the day to resolve their disputes (10 paces and shoot).

The duel itself would probably be friendly combat where the defeated player is spared after being beaten (similarly to WoW duels) or straight up lethal combat (depending on the server's settings for pvp) or a multiplayer game such as chess (which was suggested in a past thread if I recall correctly).

Just a little idea I had ;)

Great suggestion, Eddy. I think gestures would be fantastic. It's a great way for people who, perhaps don't speak the same language, to communicate with each other and still enjoy the game as a team. I would say that Klei should make gestures hot-keyed. This way people didn't have to type "/hungry" to rub their stomachs. 

Great suggestion, Eddy. I think gestures would be fantastic. It's a great way for people who, perhaps don't speak the same language, to communicate with each other and still enjoy the game as a team. I would say that Klei should make gestures hot-keyed. This way people didn't have to type "/hungry" to rub their stomachs. 

Silly! That's Wes' job, and people shouldn't understand whatever he says.

I thought about it, and I think it would be funny if playing as Wes restricted you from using gestures. That would be the saddest thing.

Kind of unusseful, because people can use Skype or chat rooms online... but is way cool , gesture can be used for talking to people in china or anouter countries (conbined with some talking words like "what you got" because the characters  talk) excluding wes.

true, but if they are made well enough, people will use them simply because they are entertaining to use. That's good enough for me at the very least.

Gestures would be really grand, I think, but I do still believe that chat needs to be implemented into the game somehow, or at the least, key words such as *Help me, please!* *Thank You* *Here's some food* and so forth.

Besides all of the characters getting the standard set of gestures such as high fives, hugs, hungry, happy and so forth, it would be rather neat if each character could have a gesture only they could do, just for the charm and personality of it.

I think 20 gestures would be a fair number for the standard gestures everyone could have, and perhaps say 5 for each individual character? I know that's a heck of a load of work, but it would make multi player much more charming. It would give us a way to kill time around the camp-fire, at least. Just imagine if you could have gestures that interacted with other characters, *more so then a high five or hug, anyway*  too, and perhaps even more amusing if each character could have multiple ways to react to one another, like Wigfrid and Wolfgang dancing around all silly and saying a few funny thing to liven it up, wouldn't that be neat?

Should people playing Wes be able to speak? Yes, but not the character of Wes themself. You can separate one thing from the other, after all. It would be an inconvenience if people playing Wes could not be allowed to chat to people. It's already difficult as Wes as it is, no need to stop people from talking to one another online because of it. I do think the tactic of, lets say if multiples of the same character would be allowed to play here.... It would be quite amusing for the more troublesome players that everyone dislikes if they could be turned to Wes, except unlike the nice people playing Wes, they could have a chat penalty for it. Maybe not set to never be able to talk, but is only allowed to say things one in a while until the...Strikes are removed, as it where.

There is one gesture I'd sure like to have when playing with friends: a slap command. I'd want to have this so you can go up to and slap your friends if they're acting up or screwing around.

Probably just have the slap itself just do 1 damage and cause the slapped player to flinch just for extra emphasis (I wouldn't want the slap to be spammed however, wouldn't want Maxwell and Wilson to get into a sissy slap fight XD)

I'd imagine Wilson or Maxwell taking off their gloves (if they are wearing some, its hard to tell) or just take a glove out of their pockets and do a glove slap instead of outright slapping the other player. Alternatively, this could be used to challenge another player to a duel since it was used by gentleman back in the day to resolve their disputes (10 paces and shoot).

The duel itself would probably be friendly combat where the defeated player is spared after being beaten (similarly to WoW duels) or straight up lethal combat (depending on the server's settings for pvp) or a multiplayer game such as chess (which was suggested in a past thread if I recall correctly).

Just a little idea I had ;)

I think gestures are a great idea.  There should be hot keys for them.  Like you could them on the Numberpad.  Like you could put 1 as HOLY CRAP WE NEED LOGS! Number 2 WILLOW GET AWAY FROM THE GUNPOWDER!, and Number 3 as Wilson why are you on fire.  Maybe custom emotions.  Number 4 could be evil laughter, 5 crying, 6 anger, and 7 as fear.  A wonderful chorus of screaming maybe.  I also agree with slapping.  Maxwell and Wilson will fight to reclaim there (not existent) honor. 

I think gestures should be able to affect the gameplay to some extent.

For example, if you see your friend shivering in the snow/rain, you could go ahead and hug him/her for extra warmth. The downside is that both of you are occupied of hugging each other, instead of actually building a fireplace or doing something equally productive.

Another gesture could be shaking your head when one goes insane. This gesture would decrease the insanity aura of an insane player, just so that the other players can avoid the negative influence of another person's insanity.

Archived