Characters in DST

What do you think Klei should do for characters?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Klei should do?

• I agree with this post.
    • I think they should do something similar.
    • I think they should just use default sandbox characters (I.E, Wilson).
    • Other

I was wondering if maybe Klei could implement a character creation tool. I know this might sound pretty hard to accomplish, but I know it can be done. Here is a list of ways it could work:

You could...

*use basic tools and coloring brushes

*select what instrument you want to sound like

*make your own quotes (If you REALLY want to)

It should also include several blank models so that clothing size and weapon location is already mapped out.

Anyway, just a thought.

I really really rather they didn't add a custom character creation feature.

There's already steps one can take to mod the game to have their OC be able to roam around the Don't Starve world, but... I might be open to the idea of skin support, like in Minecraft, if you just absolutely must showcase your OC to people in multiplayer Don't Starve games.

Personally I'd prefer the canon characters because then I don't have to guess at what their strengths/weaknesses are and how to play with them. But, that's just my opinion. If there was a toggle for playing with custom characters or no, I'd say go for it. 

I completely oppose the idea of any kind of character creator in Don't Starve. I think that maybe allowing some slight modification to the pre-existing characters might be neat (for example, being able to change the color of Wilson's shirt or something small like that) but anything else wouldn't work in my opinion.

It just wouldn't fit in with the game. I like knowing what all the characters can do and how different it is to play each of them. Seeing a screenshot of a custom character or even just the option on my game screen would put me off playing. 

But then again, they said multiplayer didn't fit in with the game either, so maybe someday there will be a character creator. 

Seems like it would have to be a mix of both sides, eh? You could create a new character in appearance, but you'd have to pick a pre-determined skillset from the existing characters (a dropdown menu to choose the abilities of The Scientist, The Firestarter, The Strongman, etc). I agree that without the strengths/weaknesses of them, the game would lose most of its charm, challenge and fun.

I disagree! Its so stupid. You think that Klei just invented a few interesting and cool characters just to scrap them away for a stupid character creation tool? And even if there was a character creation tool, then how to give your haracters original and cool powers? That wont work! And i dont want it to work. Its a stupid idea.

I wouldn't mind the idea of say, people able to mod a character into the game, both single and multi, and if such mods could be used by other people and became popular enough to be inserted as full characters into the main game itself, that would be stellar. But the idea of a character creation tool seems....Meh....

I do like the Smash Bros Route though, where different colours could be implemented on each characer duplicate, or perhaps go more like Soul Calibre and have different standard clothing for each character, so if you end up with 3 wilsons in red gear, at least the gear would look different enough to distinguish them apart.

Custom characters would be extremely fun. I've modded myself one for single player. But obviously I won't be able to use it in dont starve multiplayer (I'd assume). So I do kind of think that dont starve together starts to call for a built in character creator.

I do think that if this does happen though. That custom characters should essentially be Wilsons without beards. Nobody wants to jump into a game with a stranger and find Superman running around with an axe killing spider queens.

Archived