No server death messages please.

No death messages or respawns FTW!

This is Don't Starve Together, not Minecraft or Don't Starve Together Forever.

Oh one thing for you people who don't like the idea of respawning: When you die and would permadeath, instead of waiting around for someone to revive you stop playing on the server. It's really not that hard, and people who want the option can still have it. You don't want to respawn? Then don't. Simpleasthat. xD

I think the deaths should be as simple as placing a skeleton set piece similar to how you died (Or random doesn't matter). Or... they could drop their skull as well (kind of going with my respawn idea but that's a whole 'nother thing).

I'm strongly against the removal of permadeath in MP. Permadeath is one of the key features of DS, a roguelike-like game that is supposed to be unforgiving. Why give a rat's ass about dying if you can just respawn... Sure there's mods that give a respawn option for DS SP, but there's a reason mods allow you to respawn indefinately and this feature is not in the vanilla game itself.

Gotten through all your means of ressurrection? You stay dead. I'd be up for a small amount of time where you can still be ressurrected by other players, with a lifegiving amulet for example, but that's all.

Let DST be unforgiving just like the SP mode, and let it stand out from the MP survival crowd not just by it's visuals: No generic death messages or chat system, no infinite respawning, and let it remain close to it's SP roots, with balance changes for MP.

Oh one thing for you people who don't like the idea of respawning: When you die and would permadeath, instead of waiting around for someone to revive you stop playing on the server. It's really not that hard, and people who want the option can still have it. You don't want to respawn? Then don't. Simpleasthat. xD

If its there I would, like in every game I would play, but I hope they keep the one death experience of Don't Starve. My opinion, bash it as you please.

I'm strongly against the removal of permadeath in MP. Permadeath is one of the key features of DS, a roguelike-like game that is supposed to be unforgiving. Why give a rat's ass about dying if you can just respawn... Sure there's mods that give a respawn option for DS SP, but there's a reason mods allow you to respawn indefinately and this feature is not in the vanilla game itself.

Gotten through all your means of ressurrection? You stay dead. I'd be up for a small amount of time where you can still be ressurrected by other players, with a lifegiving amulet for example, but that's all.

Let DST be unforgiving just like the SP mode, and let it stand out from the MP survival crowd not just by it's visuals: No generic death messages or chat system, no infinite respawning, and let it remain close to it's SP roots, with balance changes for MP.

Like I said, if you're that against respawning you could just choose to stop playing. But it'd be nice to give the option to have a chance at being revived if you so choose to do so, since it'd really be lame if your friend dies and you have to start a whole new world just because of it.

e/ What I mean by stop playing is that you stop playing on the server, not stop playing Don't Starve. By all means, keep playing the game. Just don't play on the world that you died on. :p

Like I said, if you're that against respawning you could just choose to stop playing. But it'd be nice to give the option to have a chance at being revived if you so choose to do so, since it'd really be lame if your friend dies and you have to start a whole new world just because of it.

e/ What I mean by stop playing is that you stop playing on the server, not stop playing Don't Starve. By all means, keep playing the game. Just don't play on the world that you died on. :p

Just for clarification, do you mean like a small time frame where you can be ressurrected, or basically endless untill you leave the server? I fear it is the latter though, and I'll stick to my earlier statement if so :) .

Speaking of statements, let's hope subjects like this will be adressed by Klei soon, so speculation makes room for facts... I'd love to hear their opinion on death/respawning, PvP and communicating along with other things.

Just for clarification, do you mean like a small time frame where you can be ressurrected, or basically endless untill you leave the server? I fear it is the latter though, and I'll stick to my earlier statement if so :-) .

Speaking of statements, let's hope subjects like this will be adressed by Klei soon, so speculation makes room for facts... I'd love to hear their opinion on death/respawning, PvP and communicating along with other things.

Really any means of resurrection. The best one I've seen/we've worked on was that you respawn as a shadow character with low stats. Summary of it here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36103-how-to-rebalance-dont-starve-for-multiplayer-solution-to-death-included-amongst-other-things/page-10#entry479789

If people want to cheat, that´s up to them.

Except it's not cheating, it's just adding a trivial barrier to communication.

The preferred method of communication in co-op is always, always voice chat.  If I'm on a skype call with a buddy, then it will never matter if there's server chat or local chat.

The amount of backward hand-wringing over multiplayer is astounding.  If Klei is going to provide a multiplayer experience, they should provide a fully functional, modern one.  Minecraft style (with chat over character's heads) is perfect.

Except it's not cheating, it's just adding a trivial barrier to communication.

The preferred method of communication in co-op is always, always voice chat.  If I'm on a skype call with a buddy, then it will never matter if there's server chat or local chat.

The amount of backward hand-wringing over multiplayer is astounding.  If Klei is going to provide a multiplayer experience, they should provide a fully functional, modern one.  Minecraft style (with chat over character's heads) is perfect.

Don´t Starve is a very unique game. Just because it is different, doesn´t mean that it is not a fully functional chat experience or a modern one, it´s just a type that you are not used to. 

If you want to do that with Skype or whatever, that´s fine, but that´s your choice. It´s like people who spawn items, you are free to do it, but it´s kinda cheating. Having the chat system that I suggest and (to my delight) other people seem to want, would add a new challenge when surviving together. This has worked in other games, such as Journey, and I  think it will make Don´t Starve stand out from the other thousand survival multi-player games out there.

Don´t Starve is a very unique game. Just because it is different, doesn´t mean that it is not a fully functional chat experience or a modern one, it´s just a type that you are not used to. 

If you want to do that with Skype or whatever, that´s fine, but that´s your choice. It´s like people who spawn items, you are free to do it, but it´s kinda cheating. Having the chat system that I suggest and (to my delight) other people seem to want, would add a new challenge when surviving together. This has worked in other games, such as Journey, and I  think it will make Don´t Starve stand out from the other thousand survival multi-player games out there.

It's not cheating, in any way, shape, or form.  Local co-op always has unrestricted communication.  Why make lan play more annoying?

Other people may also think your idea is a good one, but there are also many people on these forums who are strongly opposed to multiplayer at all.

Point being, support on these forums is only as good as the people who populate them.  Which, in case you haven't been paying attention, means hit-or-miss.

No communication like in Journey works for two reasons.  

1) Journey is a relaxed puzzle game.

2) Journey is meant to be played with strangers.

Don't starve is a survival game.  Communication has been mankind's primary tool for survival since the dawn of the species.  Don't Starve Together is a dumb idea with strangers, exponentially so if there are barriers to communication.

You're literally asking for the developers to put in more work for an inferior product.

It's not cheating, in any way, shape, or form.  Local co-op always has unrestricted communication.  Why make lan play more annoying?

Other people may also think your idea is a good one, but there are also many people on these forums who are strongly opposed to multiplayer at all.

Point being, support on these forums is only as good as the people who populate them.  Which, in case you haven't been paying attention, means hit-or-miss.

Don't starve is a survival game.  Communication has been mankind's primary tool for survival since the dawn of the species.  Don't Starve Together is a dumb idea with strangers, exponentially so if there are barriers to communication.

You're literally asking for the developers to put in more work for an inferior product.

It wouldn´t be annoying, it would just be an extra challenge. Again, if you want to cheat and skip that challenge, you still have that option. Always? Then maybe it´s time for something different and original.

It would work in Don´t Starve, it would keep the game realistic and keep its unique eerie atmosphere.

Not meant to be played with strangers? Who told you that? 

It wouldn´t be annoying, it would just be an extra challenge. Again, if you want to cheat and skip that challenge, you still have that option. Always? Then maybe it´s time for something different and original.

It would work in Don´t Starve, it would keep the game realistic and keep its unique eerie atmosphere.

Not meant to be played with strangers? Who told you that? 

You have to realize that not everyone has the luxury of a microphone or has a skype account, and I doubt people would want to go through the hassle of setting one up JUST so they can play DST.

And don't starve? Realistic? ppfffttt...

I kinda agree @Toros here, Klei needs to make a decent chat system otherwise NO ONE is going to use it if they have skype or steam chat. And then that leaves the people on other platforms or without a mic an inferior way of communicating. There will be servers that you get kicked on if you don't join a complete strangers teamspeak room, people advertising servers with "NO MIC, NO JOIN"

It just encourages player segregation all be because the ingame chat system isnt up to snuff. No one would want to play with strangers because they don't want to give their personal skype willy nilly to people they haven't met before.

Don't starve stylized chat I'm all for, but purposefully making communication "hard" and frustrating? Why even bother playing DST at all? when there are other multiplayer survival games out there that do it better. Sure it's not don't starve, but If I can have more fun with my friends because I can talk to them better I'm going to do that.

I think if the right factors are in play it might be cool.

It all depends on the game, in some games difficult communication can be evocative of some sort of mood you're going for. Or indeed the point of the game. I don't feel like voice comms would cheapen the intended experience in DS, but that's me.

If Klei is sensible (which they are) there will probably be a gigantic amount of options to specifically edit metagame information provided to everyone, such as how chat functions, death announcements, minimap trackers, etc. This way everyone will be happy with the way multiplayer would work.

Repectfully, players don't really want to decide what this game will be like. (that's what the designer does)

They want myster, suprises and some difficulties to get over.

Let's say, if there are options between "permenant death" and "respawnable", beginners will say: "Oh, I'm a beginner, so let's choose easy mode!" And this is how most people play Minecraft, although there is a "hardcore mode" (permenant death).

Think about it, if the game has a no-death mode, and most people play in this mode (because they are beginners), and only you chose the hardcore mode, and then someday you talk to your friend, "I finally survived 100 days in hardmode! Is that cool?", and no one understands you. So you won't play the hardcore mode at all, because you wouldn't feel rewarded.

So it is important that players are forced to obey some rules, because they can't force themselves.

Klei has the habit to try and appeal everyone (DST anyone?), but whilst this is great I also feel this makes (and already has made) the game lose potential. There's no way to make this game appeal to everyone (and this should not be attempted either), even something like permadeath that is in the main game has divided opinions if this is gonna be a thing for DST. There is a reason that the only way to not have permadeath in SP is with mods... 

I really hope Klei will have a firmer stance on the way they want DST to be than they did with the SP version. Listening to feedback is great, building the game around almost every bit of feedback isn't. Why offer generic chat options, a respawn option and death messages when you can make DST stand out from the crowd by doing something completely different and unique. Otherwise the MP will just be a generic MineCraft "clone", with more limits to what you can do since DS is NOT a sandbox game but a wilderness survival game.

Klei has the habit to try and appeal everyone (DST anyone?), but whilst this is great I also feel this makes (and already has made) the game lose potential. There's no way to make this game appeal to everyone (and this should not be attempted either), even something like permadeath that is in the main game has divided opinions if this is gonna be a thing for DST. There is a reason that the only way to not have permadeath in SP is with mods... 

I really hope Klei will have a firmer stance on the way they want DST to be than they did with the SP version. Listening to feedback is great, building the game around almost every bit of feedback isn't. Why offer generic chat options, a respawn option and death messages when you can make DST stand out from the crowd by doing something completely different and unique. Otherwise the MP will just be a generic MineCraft "clone", with more limits to what you can do since DS is NOT a sandbox game but a wilderness survival game.

Yeah, can't help but agree with this. While I'm still mostly stuck on the decision of permadeath, I am learning more towards it since really, this game should strive to set itself apart. It's okay for a game to try and appeal to all, but a game shouldn't have to do that to be successful. Certainly not something like this, at least. I wouldn't say the likes of Skyrim, Super Meat Boy or Dark souls appeals to everyone, but people love it. This game really needs to be tough, heck, even brutal in instances. By doing that, this game would set itself apart even more, because competition is rough these days with so many games released on such a regular basis.

I'd also just really despise the system telling me, and everyone else, how I died. I do not want death by flint or spider or boomerang or heck knows any other embarrassing things being shown to the starvian world. Ruins the mystery, and makes me feel even more of an idiot.

At the end of the treacherous path with the large, ominous door spelling even more doom for everyone, we all just want adventure, mystery, fun and surprises.....And death. Happy fun times, people. Happy. Fun. Times.

1- It´s like people who add items by using mods, you can call it what you want, but some people would definitely call it cheating.

2- I didn´t say that my argument is valid because most people agree with it, I just said that I was pleased to know I wasn´t alone.

3-  Arguments against for the points that you brought up for Journey can be easily found. For example, for a puzzle game you would usually think that a chat system would be required, so people could communicate and solve the puzzles together. Point is, it´s unorthodox, they tried something new, I don´t understand why a unique game like Don´t Starve couldn´t do the same. 

4- Yes...Communication has been a primary tool for mankind, but I don´t think telepathy was...Or phones for long distance communication...Your point doesn´t really make sense, surely it would be less realistic in a survival game to be able to talk to someone who is down under the caves while you are on the surface. 

5- I doubt this will some kind of big investment or difficulty for the developers. 

Archived