No server death messages please.

Well then... anyway... I really do infact hope they don't implement death messages than the whole "eerie" feel can still stay in play to some extent as stated above. So... yes I agree.

^ liked this post :-)

Hey, you know what would be cool? Have you ever heard of the "The Most Dangerous Game"? Don´t Starve would be perfect to simulate that! I could give you a five minute head start and then I hunt you down like an animal! The game ends when I bash your head open. It be fun.

You are all under this impression that everyone is going to be nice to each other and work together. Trust me, once the food runs out, you´ll all eat each other.

I totally agree. When im playing with friend's I'll probably opt to cheat through teamspeak or Skype, but when joining random games with stranger, localized talking would make the game much more tense and would allow for plotting against other players ( and overhearing said plotting by staying near or something ) 

Why not? It be fun! It´s just J20hawkz whose intestines I want to rip out and then use as a rope to hang his corpse from a tree, but you and me, we cool man! I mean... I would still eat you if you died, but you cool with that, right?

J20hawkz suit:

2 intestines

8 flesh slabs

J20hawkz helmet

1 Scalp

1 Intestines

2 rope

J20hawkz salad:

Flesh slab

Intestines

Fruit

any (non-edible)

In crock pot

I totally agree. When im playing with friend's I'll probably opt to cheat through teamspeak or Skype, but when joining random games with stranger, localized talking would make the game much more tense and would allow for plotting against other players ( and overhearing said plotting by staying near or something ) 

I'm now imagining people hiding behind trees, thinking they are well hidden when the other player is actually seeing them because he switched his view angle

Why not? It be fun! It´s just J20hawkz whose intestines I want to rip out and then use as a rope to hang his corpse from a tree, but you and me, we cool man! I mean... I would still eat you if you died, but you cool with that, right?

Funny, that thought came to mind about hanging players from trees with a noose made of their own intestines when I first replied to your cannibal post when you were joking about it a while back. I believe I made a comment of gathering heads and putting them on display at your base to discourage players from stealing from you.

All in all, we're both messed up in the head and have a similar way of thinking XD

Anyway, back on topic. I believe that players could have a 'friend list' that would allow friends to see where their friends are on the map if the server allows it. This can be toggled on and off both for the server or the players themselves if they want it to be more difficult and be uncertain if their friend met with a terrible fate. Likewise there could also be an 'ignore list' if you have another player constantly bothering you and pvp isn't enabled.

It seems while there are some disagreements, it is agreed that there shouldn't be server messages informing players of other player interactions, chat log, or death log, etc BUT that chat messages appear above player's heads allowing for nearby players to "hear" their message.

Edit:

Perhaps throw up a poll?

It seems like this could be voted right now and the suggestion can be offered to klei to be implemented?

I think two interesting thing they could do with communication would be to: 

1) be able to craft some sort of radio that allows players to communicate across distances. I see this as being either having to build some sort of radio tower and radio devices that can communicate with each other or as some sort of device like they had in world war one that can be worn and used as a portable radio station. Someone might say they wouldn't have radio but as the Wilson origins trailer shows Maxwell was able to communicate to Wilson through a radio, yes Maxwell does have magic but so do the players.

2) i don't think anywhere a player explores should show the area on another players map but i think the player should be able to show others their map. I say this as they can see everything you have seen as long as you are showing them your map but once you seperate again they have their old map back again. I see this as useful when trying to set up objectives with other players to point out usefull spots without taking all the fun out of exploring while being realistic because if someone did have a map they could show it to others... unless these are memorized instead of on paper the well meh. 

Perhaps there could be an option somewhere to disable it, but I'd really prefer to have death messages on. I play on Steam, so the only thing that lack of death messages/local chat would do is just be annoying. That said, having global chat would be great since how are you going to forge alliances with someone and coordinate who does what if you can only talk to your teammates when you're standing next to them? You say people against this are under the assumption everyone works together, but really you're under the assumption that noone will work together. With my suggestions on the other thread I said that only teammates would show up on your map, and thusly you'd only know where your teammates are so you'd still have a nasty surprise if you run into an enemy player. Also proposed was the ability to place an amulet on a dead player in order to revive them, but how would you know your teammate has died without a death message? They could be sitting around for an hour doing nothing before you even realize they're dead. It makes for a great survival horror game, yes. But this isn't really a horror game, just a survival game. And as someone has pointed out the name is Don't Starve Together, which means that you should try to work as a team to fight the monsters and not try and run around solo trying to kill everything like you would in single player. Yes there will be people who do that, but if you have a group of players you could easily overpower a solo griefer.

Basically, the point of multiplayer isn't so that you can have a bunch of single player campaigns that happen to be on the same world. It's so you can cooperate to fight off the increased difficulty of monsters, and work together to fight off people who want to steal your group's stuff. Want to PvP? Great. At least don't do it solo, you're just gonna get murdered.

I'm now imagining people hiding behind trees, thinking they are well hidden when the other player is actually seeing them because he switched his view angle

Hehe, a double double double crossing! 

Anyway, back on topic. I believe that players could have a 'friend list' that would allow friends to see where their friends are on the map if the server allows it. This can be toggled on and off both for the server or the players themselves if they want it to be more difficult and be uncertain if their friend met with a terrible fate. Likewise there could also be an 'ignore list' if you have another player constantly bothering you and pvp isn't enabled.

I enjoy the idea of sharing maps more, but the option would be welcome. More options is more choice, probably more people happy ;) I wouldn't like seeing my friends just like that though. The radio would be awesome to craft and give yet another use for gears. 

Perhaps there could be an option somewhere to disable it, but I'd really prefer to have death messages on. I play on Steam, so the only thing that lack of death messages/local chat would do is just be annoying. That said, having global chat would be great since how are you going to forge alliances with someone and coordinate who does what if you can only talk to your teammates when you're standing next to them? You say people against this are under the assumption everyone works together, but really you're under the assumption that noone will work together. With my suggestions on the other thread I said that only teammates would show up on your map, and thusly you'd only know where your teammates are so you'd still have a nasty surprise if you run into an enemy player. Also proposed was the ability to place an amulet on a dead player in order to revive them, but how would you know your teammate has died without a death message? They could be sitting around for an hour doing nothing before you even realize they're dead. It makes for a great survival horror game, yes. But this isn't really a horror game, just a survival game. And as someone has pointed out the name is Don't Starve Together, which means that you should try to work as a team to fight the monsters and not try and run around solo trying to kill everything like you would in single player. Yes there will be people who do that, but if you have a group of players you could easily overpower a solo griefer.

Basically, the point of multiplayer isn't so that you can have a bunch of single player campaigns that happen to be on the same world. It's so you can cooperate to fight off the increased difficulty of monsters, and work together to fight off people who want to steal your group's stuff. Want to PvP? Great. At least don't do it solo, you're just gonna get murdered.

You either said something amazing or maybe completely insane. But, I'm not taking the time to read this... It ... It's just a huge ass paragraph lol.

But, no seriously I agree with you. It should be a option.

Archived