No server death messages please.

If someone dies, please don´t do the Minecraft server messages, like "player was slain by a spider". First off, it´s annoying. Second, I like the mystery of not knowing who is still left in the world. For example, if a friend of mine goes adventuring and doesn´t comeback before nightfall, that uncertainty of not knowing what happened to him would be awesome "Is he alive? He probably just camped somewhere else for the night, he´ll be back by morning, he´s probably fine....Oh God, what if he isn´t? Should I go looking for him?" 

It's mechanics like this that help with making DST something awesome and make it stand out from the crowd. No generic server messages or chat systems but something more unique and heavily emphasize personal interaction and cooperation between the players. For example this situation: Player X went to mine some gold and agreed to meet me back in camp the next day, but he hasn't showed up yet. What happened to him? You're gonna have to explore where he went for clues, and recall what you have talked about before. I too am in favour of only being able to communicate when close together, with the typed message appearing over the character's head.

Or in one sentence: The lack of server death messages should totally be in DST. :-)

To those saying you should only be able to communicate locally...

For those playing on Steam you have Steam chat...

That just won't work out and just adds a layer of inconvenience to open the Steam overlay to get to the chat.

The player's icon will appear on the map as it now does in single player.

But this is not confirmed yet so IDK

Well, I hope not, because:

1- Little silly. Is like if everyone had a tracking device.

2- What if I split up with someone? They would know where I am and steal all of my stuff!

The player's icon will appear on the map as it now does in single player.

But this is not confirmed yet so IDK

They would have to change the way player prefabs currently set their minimap icon. As it stands, a player's minimap icon acts like anything else's icon, it shows up constantly if you have explored the area the player is in.

They may change this, though. I just don't see why they would, it makes sense as it is now.

Well, I hope not, because:

1- Little silly. Is like if everyone had a tracking device.

2- What if I split up with someone? They would know where I am and steal all of my stuff!

1. They could run into an area of the map you haven't explored, and thus will be hidden.

2. They wouldn't be able to see your stuff (or you) unless you were in a place they knew of.

They could follow you, sure. In a huge map, though, with wormholes, it wouldn't be as easy as you think.

Player icons should appear on the map. If Klei wanted to make multiplayer where everyone did their own thing it wouldn't have been called "Don't Starve Together"

Instead it would have been more appropriately called:

"Don't Starve Near Each Other"

I agree that no message should pop up if someone dies, just a sound to make you jump, as I hinted at earlier (hunger games thing), but it's not like we are going to be checking the map 24/7 and monitoring everyone. If we happen to realise someone is missing we could use the map to find their precise location or not (if dead ofcourse)

Player icons should appear on the map. If Klei wanted to make multiplayer where everyone did their own thing it wouldn't have been called "Don't Starve Together"

Instead it would have been more appropriately called:

"Don't Starve Near Each Other"

I agree that no message should pop up if someone dies, just a sound as I hinted at earlier (hunger games thing), but it's not like we are going to be checking the map 24/7 and monitoring everyone. If we happen to realise someone is missing we could use the map to find the right location or not.

You are all under this impression that everyone is going to be nice to each other and work together. Trust me, once the food runs out, you´ll all eat each other.

@TheKingofSquirrels well if there is an option to turn PvP on and off (which I want), I'll make sure it's set to off, if we ever happen to be on the same server :-)

Edit: it might actually be more sensible to never have PvP in Don't Starve Together.

Even if there isn´t PVP. People would still steal and burn your stuff.

But I really hope I get the chance to wear your face as a mask.

If Klei is sensible (which they are) there will probably be a gigantic amount of options to specifically edit metagame information provided to everyone, such as how chat functions, death announcements, minimap trackers, etc. This way everyone will be happy with the way multiplayer would work.

I don't want to play on a server with you xD

Why not? It be fun! It´s just J20hawkz whose intestines I want to rip out and then use as a rope to hang his corpse from a tree, but you and me, we cool man! I mean... I would still eat you if you died, but you cool with that, right?

Archived