PvP in PvE for Don't Starve Together announced as OPTIONAL

Don't Starve Multiplayer  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a SEPARATE PvP mode?

• Yes there should be a SEPARATE mode for PvP only
    • No there should be an OPTION to allow PvP in PvE
    • There should NEVER be PvP
    • PvP is turned on in PvE ONLY When holding a bind key
    • PvP is ALWAYS on

I really and i mean freaking REALLY HATE PVP !!!!. :wilson_enraged:  I'm pacifist and i REALLY hated the pvp realm in the world of warcraft so i vote NO PVP AT ALL EVER !

Don't Starve is greatest game i played in decades and it's about surviving TOGETHER not about killing your friends around you who can help you gather and build things (and don't give me the separate mode crap ... people should never ever harm one another. not even in games).

just a note .... i wouldn't fight even if someone was slicing me with shadow sword. I would sit down and wait for the end to come. I was doing this in WoW but the d*ckheads didn't get that i'm not a threat.... such dumb c*nts :hurt:

Don't Starve is greatest game i played in decades and it's about surviving TOGETHER not about killing your friends around you who can help you gather and build things (and don't give me the separate mode crap ... people should never ever harm one another. not even in games).

Wait, I thought Don't Starve was about surviving, and PvP can help you survive better.

And why shouldn't people harm each other in games?

Wait, I thought Don't Starve was about surviving, and PvP can help you survive better.

Interesting. Can you please explain how PvP would be advantageous to survival?

yeah, but you can revive them anytime you want in magicka.

Not in the more MOBA-esque one. and it's still very fun. Plus, if we're making those comparisons, you can also kill someone a lot faster in Magicka than you could in Don't Starve. You're not going to accidentally oneshot anyone in Don't Starve.

Don't starve is co-op survival game. Co-op means working together. If you want to kill everyone and play alone, play single player.

And why shouldn't people harm each other? Because it's WRONG ?!?!  duh....

I take it you're sick pvp-er right ? used to beat the crap of anyone just because you can right ? ... if that's so please go away to play a pvp game and don't spoil the perfect pve game ever....bb

@Ashpoker relax mate, we're all sharing opinions here, nothing is written in stone yet. I do agree with you though. Don't Starve Together should focus on ultimate team/cooperation gameplay. The reason why some of us want it as an option to turn on and off, is to give us, the choice to play how we want. But Klei knows what's best for their game.

Although thinking a bit more, I personally think PvP should be an option that only allows player made traps to harm other players, not actually hitting one another with weapons as such. So turning on PvP in world customisation will cause traps such as Tooth traps to activate and damage a team mate if they walked over them.

Whilst the MP is called Don't Starve Together, it merely means you're all in the same crappy situation and have to make sure you won't die of starvation. This doesn't mean you have to solely cooperate to achieve that goal. Besides, if you want to make sure you won't be killed by your fellow survivor, only play with people you trust and know for sure they would never kill you. On the contrary, this is why I want to have PvP in DST, will spice up the game when played with total strangers. Can they be trusted, or more importantly, can they trust me.. 

@Ashpoker, it seems you are very biased by your (bad) past experience in games with PvP. Though you were fully aware the games had PvP, you still greatly dislike it and participate in it(even when you're being non agressive, this is to be expected to happen in such environment). DS is not a co-op survival game per se, and the thread for DST talks about surviving together though not specifically with together. Afaik there is no definite answer about the inclusion or exclusion of PvP from Klei, we will all have to wait and see what their stance will be

@Ashpoker relax mate, we're all sharing opinions here, nothing is written in stone yet. I do agree with you though. Don't Starve Together should focus on ultimate team/cooperation gameplay. The reason why some of us want it as an option to turn on and off, is to give us, the choice to play how we want. But Klei knows what's best for their game.

Although thinking a bit more, I personally think PvP should be an option that only allows player made traps to harm other players, not actually hitting one another with weapons as such. So turning on PvP in world customisation will cause traps such as Tooth traps to activate and damage a team mate if they walked over them.

Interesting idea, i can accept your opinion but i don't share it. I understand there are very little people like me (pacifist) so that's why i present my point of view so strongly.

Just thinking about the trap idea you presented .... how would it work ? the oponent would sneak in the night with torch in hands and plant the traps all around your base, you would see him and laugh. And then you would step on the trap because you are "not aware" it's there, just to make him happy he succeeded ;)

@Spazmatic

Let's say in real life you are stranded on an island with just one other survivor. There are a hell of a lots of things to do if you want to survive.... same for you and your "friend" on the island. There are limited resources like wood, food, drinkable water, etc. Will you battle together over the possession of these resources and waste most of it in the process or you will simply put your resources and brainpower together to create a sustainable way of life on the island ? And possibly save yourself from going insane from being alone on the island with the thought that you killed a human being and used all wood to make fortifications, traps and weapons instead of making a boat to gtfo ?

just think more ...

Interesting idea, i can accept your opinion but i don't share it. I understand there are very little people like me (pacifist) so that's why i present my point of view so strongly.

Just thinking about the trap idea you presented .... how would it work ? the oponent would sneak in the night with torch in hands and plant the traps all around your base, you would see him and laugh. And then you would step on the trap because you are "not aware" it's there, just to make him happy he succeeded ;)

Well it doesn't necessarily need to be used to purposefully harm the other player. If you wanted to protect your berries for example. You could place tooth traps all around your berry bushes and thus prevent anyone trying to steal them. I know it's a bit sketchy but I'm kind of brain dead atm. Been a long day at work :)

Oh I also found a video fitting PvP perfectly if combat in Don't Starve doesn't change.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-9n2ImgJQ0

Edit: for some reason I can't get this link to show as a video box so all you need to do is click it to play here. It worked in this thread for me:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36324-ummwhy-is-it-raining-in-the-caves/page-2#entry478844

I also think there should be a way greater sanity loss from the start .. and decreasing when you find another player and play together. Because have you tried to be alone for 3-4 weeks ? Poeple can get crazy really fast when alone. It's fun and relax from the start (away from daily family situations) but then it can go down really fast. I've tried it and it's NOT fun after 3 weeks i can tell :D

@Spazmatic

Let's say in real life you are stranded on an island with just one other survivor. There are a hell of a lots of things to do if you want to survive.... same for you and your "friend" on the island. There are limited resources like wood, food, drinkable water, etc. Will you battle together over the possession of these resources and waste most of it in the process or you will simply put your resources and brainpower together to create a sustainable way of life on the island ? And possibly save yourself from going insane from being alone on the island with the thought that you killed a human being and used all wood to make fortifications, traps and weapons instead of making a boat to gtfo ?

just think more ...

Thing is most of the features like boat making aren't in Don't starve. Some people also want a "realistic"  experience, say you're fighting hounds and you accidentally hurt your friend? Some people actually want to be able to do that. People are also going to grief. It's just a fact it's going to happen. Think about how fun it'd be for people to team up and say "So and so took our food, destroyed the tents and ran off with all the gold and other valuables. Who want's to go hunting?"

I just think an option for it would be nice. If you choose the second option YOU personally never have to play with PvP, but you're giving other people the right to if they choose to.

@Spazmatic

just think more ...

With all due respect but imagining game scenarios in real life and comparing them doesn't serve much use at all and imo is rather pointless, however I'll play along. Sure, the primary plan would be to cooperate and survive together and be cautious with the resources at hand. And agreed, two people would be able to acomplish more than one, and generally you will have more chance to survive. But having an unknown factor with you doesn't always have to be a blessing. As time passes the willpower will weaken, and hope will be lost. Hell, you might even start to get into a fight when the resources become scarcer and scarcer, someone might snap and eventually try to kill you in the worst scenario. I know for a fact I damn well will do whatever I can so that so called "friend" kicks the bucket before I do, should they decide to realize their twisted idea. "But Spaz that scenario is so far fetched!", well you'd be surprised by how some people have survived in the wilderness.

You should look up survival shows on Discovery Channel, especially those where two total strangers survive together. Sometimes they form a great time and survive together with relatively easily, other times one of the two is a burden to the other one and even causes them both to not be able to make the days they need to survive in *insert unforgiving place here*, whilst if they were on their own they would definately be better off.

DST imo should be about surviving together, and do whatever it takes to achieve said survivability. I can live with an option to enable or disable PvP, though I'd personally like it to always be a thing.

Edit: I still respect your opinion though, I simply don't agree with it :)

If people are going to turn on each other, there also needs to be an option to turn off player icons on the map in game or have that option always off if you class yourself as an enemy. I suppose while in game you can bring up an interface and declare whether you are friend or foe with someone. If you declare yourself as foe, you are invisible on their map and any explored areas are not visible on their map also.

Obviously if you have three crazy spear welding loonies after you, you want to be able to hide somewhere. Personally I would set up a small base near some pigs and I'll keep moving around the map so they never find me.

I personally think that PvP should be an option that people can enable. If PvP is on, you have Don't Starve with other people you can kill. If PvP is off, it's just Don't Starve Together.That way, people who like PvP can go on servers with PvP while people who can't PvP as well can play with players instead of against them.

Sorry but i have to repeat myself, but the name of the DLC is Don't starve Together, why would you want to kill others when the games name is something who you don't! It's like i play don't starve to watch my character starving...

Sorry but i have to repeat myself, but the name of the DLC is Don't starve Together, why would you want to kill others when the games name is something who you don't! It's like i play don't starve to watch my character starving...

Its like the good old days. "WE WANT MULTIPLAYER!" 

"THEY SAID NO!"

"PLEASE!?"

*lock*

Except we have matured much more since then obviously.

It's like i play don't starve to watch my character starving...

by that logic, I guess they should remove the hunger meter too. No one would ever want to starve to death!

Its like the good old days. "WE WANT MULTIPLAYER!" 

"THEY SAID NO!"

"PLEASE!?"

*lock*

Except we have matured much more since then obviously.

another difference is that if the devs said NO PVP, then I wouldn't continue to protest ;)

Archived