How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

I was thinking, PVP (if added) should not be an option. It should be integrated into Multiplayer with the only option to toggle friendly fire/team killing on and off. What I mean is, sometimes in the wild we can become desperate and desperation can turn to extreme measures, so we should be able to turn on friends when ever we like.

Think someone is using too much resources to stay alive, think they are a burden to the team, maybe with them on the team they are lowering our chance of survival? Well instead of "kicking" them, let's give them the chance to prove their worth, shun them from the party, attempt to kill them. Let them fend for their life alone. Control important resource points, set traps to prevent someone else mining your gold or picking your berries.

If this is a possibility then I deeply hope more focus goes into base building. If we are removed from the party, we will need to fortify our bases to prevent intruders etc...

• I like the idea of increasing spawn rate and quantity for mobs. Maybe a little buff to health\damage too, but not noticable. Mainly multiple players will not have enough resources, so increasing mob quantity will resolve that and make it that it will be rather dangerous to try attacking spiders for example. Bosses definitely need a strong buff (to speed as well, or they'll just be torn to pieces from multiple sides.

For sleeping, I think night is not that long so if all the players have entered Tent\straw rool - night skipped for all restoring HP and Sanity. But if someone refuses to use Tent for the night - they'll have to wait, while their chartacter plays sleep animation and regains health\sanity over time or can wake up earlier without restoring anything.

For dying I'd like it to stay permanent and unforgiving as it is in single. People have enough ways to ensure resurrection, so if they didn't have enough resources or decided not to waste them - that is their problem. You die - you are out.

Or you can add a hard to build one time portal type Thing, that can bring back killed ones. I still wish for permadeath though. That'll cause players not to lose caution and will make them cooperate better. You wanna play with a friend, who knows less than you and is weaker overall? Help him and protect him if he can't fend for him\herself and if he died - create new game.

Sanity Monsters should be visible only to those who they belong to. I mean - in single no mob can help you fight your own fears and demons - same here. But if 2 players are insane at the same time for example - let them join forces in their madness. Monsters should spawn twice as fast and should be buffed for speed\damage as well.

Maps should definitely be larger.

Loot can be shared and chests can be locked only for your use or open for all (one who crafted can change this on the fly)

Chesters... well thats will be awkward. Maybe just make them have different colours? And each player must find eyebone that can be picked up only by him. I think there is no need to restrict other players from putting something in your Chester, but thats only my opinion.

Hound waves should change in quantity for each player joined and late game Vargs definitely should come as well (with the ability to call Hounds) - or there'll be constant lack of Teeth, sorta speak...

I know many of you don't like a possibility of PvP, but i think that needs to be there. So you'll have to choose wisely, who you are inviting to play. Will they help you and give some food, when you are starving or will they chop your head off for being a reliability? I mean rela friend would help in any situation. But it really matters if he CAN betray you, but WON'T do it.

And I pray that game'll be restricted to max of 4 players or it'll just be a mess instead of fun... 

Thats what I think.

@Madman666 the sleep animation idea is awesome.

Well, all other mobs have it - since skipping night won't work if not all players asleep - why not add it? It shouldn't be very hard. And let it be seen for a little while in single player too - I always wanted to see for example how Wilson enters the Tent and gets out in the morning, not how he stands from ground in front of it.

Along with the points I raised in the original post, how will continuation of your game work if a friend is missing? Time zones will greatly influence when people are online to play each other.

Obviously this isn't a huge issue, but not to sound selfish here, if I played while a friend went offline, does that mean I'm left to do all the work while he/she chills? Also what if I leave and someone decides to do something I don't like in my absence? Like kill all the beefalo or eat all my dragon pie!

I won't be happy.

Along with the points I raised in the original post, how will continuation of your game work if a friend is missing? Time zones will greatly influence when people are online to play each other.

Obviously this isn't a huge issue, but not to sound selfish here, if I played while a friend went offline, does that mean I'm left to do all the work while he/she chills? Also what if I leave and someone decides to do something I don't like in my absence? Like kill all the beefalo or eat all my dragon pie!

I won't be happy.

Good question actually, I would not like that very much myself, I mean who the hell eats his friend's dragonpies?... I see only a few possibilities - 1) game pauses when someone leaves and can be started again only after he\she returns, so if you friend went to sleep\work\etc. - just stick with singleplayer for a while... 2) Treat that like death - you'll need to build something that invites\resurrects players and wait for him to return and then activate it 3) Players that left the game enter a sleep-state, automatically locking their respective chests\fridges. Of course those who are still active can do some bad things, but it will not be so easy to slaughter buffed pack of beefaloes alone...

Sounds rather weird at best. I'll think about it more and will post here if I stumble upon something worthy...

Good question actually, I would not like that very much myself, I mean who the hell eats his friend's dragonpies?... I see only a few possibilities - 1) game pauses when someone leaves and can be started again only after he\she returns, so if you friend went to sleep\work\etc. - just stick with singleplayer for a while... 2) Treat that like death - you'll need to build something that invites\resurrects players and wait for him to return and then activate it

Hmm...bit concerned about that.

1)In a day you'll have things to do right. So everytime someone leaves the others have their game paused? Big No.

2)This isn't bad. I suppose that wouldn't allow the player to play while you are gone. But what happens when we all quit, who will res us? Also some may troll and not resurrect us. Another thing I won't ever get a chance to carry on playing if the other guy never comes back.

Hmm...bit concerned about that.

1)In a day you'll have things to do right. So everytime someone leaves the others have their game paused? Big No.

2)This isn't bad. I suppose that wouldn't allow the player to play while you are gone. But what happens when we all quit, who will res us? Also some may troll and not resurrect us. Another thing I won't ever get a chance to carry on playing if the other guy never comes back.

Yup, thats too raw of an idea right now. Another one I just thought of: to play together every player needs to build a Portal (like in The Way puzzle picture) in Sandbox. Using it creates a World with unique coordinates (and password) or lets you travel to another player's one already created. For other players to join - they need to have a built Portal and you must give them coordinates and password of your world created by your Portal. So when player decides to leave - all chest locked, you may stay in this world alone or to return in your Sandbox. The Portal will remember limited quantity of worlds to which you can return to.

Ability to take items from Sandbox through Portal needs to be discussed though...

Personally I think it will be down to trust. If you're going to share a world with someone you just have to trust they don't mess things up.

Locking chests/containers you crafted while you are away or not is a good idea. So you can keep loot from getting taken. Either having the option to do that in game as you play (hovering over a chest brings up lock/unlock tab) or the game automatically prevents anyone from viewing/taking out your things. Only way to physically share would be to drop stuff on the ground.

Personally I think it will be down to trust. If you're going to share a world with someone you just have to trust they don't mess things up.

Locking chests/containers you crafted while you are away or not is a good idea. So you can keep loot from getting taken. Either having the option to do that in game as you play (hovering over a chest brings up lock/unlock tab) or the game automatically prevents anyone from viewing/taking out your things. Only way to physically share would be to drop stuff on the ground.

Completely restricting sharing only to dropping items on the ground is a bit too much... On the other hand ability to just lock your own chest when you don't want someone to take your items looks neat enough.

Completely restricting sharing only to dropping items on the ground is a bit too much... On the other hand ability to just lock your own chest when you don't want someone to take your items looks neat enough.

No I mean you have the option to lock/unlock "containers" you crafted. So if you choose to leave them unlocked anyone can take and put things in.

Dropping things on the ground was just one way of trading stuff if you choose to keep your belongings private.

Edit: Player A wants Spear. Player B has set all his containers to lock. Player B throws his spear on ground. Player A is happy.

Ok seems as if we have sharing loot covered. Still though feel free to add to what we have said.

In regards to revival stones. If Player A activates a stone does that mean Player B can't be revived at that stone? So are we forced to fight for these? Again if they are shared it comes down to party issues. Do you sacrifice a stone because of a weak party member?

Seems like the obvious solution.

The thing that I am not sure about is punishment upon death. I want to leave DS original unforgiving permadeath, but I am not sure how will it play out if we take Portal conception for example. Will dead player be moved back to their respective Sandbox world or will they die for good, requiring to start new Sandbox and build a new Portal to rejoin with other team?

Completely deleting chatracter and savegame seems DS-like but that'll probably cause irritation, because you'll have to create another signleplayer world and make your way to building a Portal from scratch. I think it needs to be like this - when player dies - he is transfered to his original Sandbox world with 1\3 HP\Sanity\Hunger with Portal destroyed. Kinda like death in Adventure mode does not erase Sandbox World, returning you to Maxwells door instead. You'll have to gather resources and build another Portal, but that is sufficient punishment for careless players I think.

-Bosses should have a health multiplier based on the amount of people fighting it.

You'd have to use a form of combat detection though, because not every player will want to cooperate. A player may be detected as being out of combat with a monster by:

-Not attacking anything for 2 seconds or more

-Not taking damage or CC from anything for 2 seconds or more

My main concern is griefing.

The mechanics of the hammer, deconstruction staff, fire, Bigfoot, destructive giants will all need to be altered to prevent someone running into your base and singlehandedly destroying it. In the base game, it's incredibly unforgiving, but you won't intentionally start a fire in your base. With this, someone could and burn it all down in seconds.

Maybe sleep could work like this:

1 player can enter a tent or sleep on a straw roll at the time. Time does not stop when you sleep. You slowly regenerate Sanity and Health while sleeping in the tent, but hunger goes down double (maybe triple?) speed. Tents could also have durability and you could repair them with Sewing Kits. Got this idea from Starbound, it has a similar sleep mechanic.

So is my idea good or stupid?

Maybe sleep could work like this:

1 player can enter a tent or sleep on a straw roll at the time. Time does not stop when you sleep. You slowly regenerate Sanity and Health while sleeping in the tent, but hunger goes down double (maybe triple?) speed. Tents could also have durability and you could repair them with Sewing Kits. Got this idea from Starbound, it has a similar sleep mechanic.

So is my idea good or stupid?

@Luxurious I like it. But will we be able to wake up on choice?

My main concern is one, and all my questions relate to it.

Balancing 2 or more starvians.

There are SO MANY things that work fine in survival that you would have to be aware of and change for multiplayer, like the 'death is permanent', it wouldn't really work for public servers.

Also, while they keep saying they don't have all the details ironed out, I'd bet my bucks they do actually have it planned out(but are not saying to keep suspense while the ensure they have everything). As I said above, the amount of things you have to plan for each an every character instance is astonishing. If they haven't 'ironed it out' by the time they're announcing it, then I fear how badly multiplayer is going to be.

So yeah, that's my thoughts on multiplayer.

@Warewolves Klei wouldn't risk their reputation by announcing something as big as Multiplayer this late for a Summer release. We all knew the entire Don't Starve game had to be recoded for multiplayer to be a possibility, so it's obvious they have been working and testing it out for some time now.

Perma death should still remain. It was an important aspect of Don't Starve single player so it needs to be in multiplayer, otherwise in a team of 2-4 members you'll feel too godly.

I still think that the portal shouldn't be a thing. Just give me a damn web browser interface and a multiplayer menu.

And as far as chests are concerned, a locked chest should be indestructible except by admin privilege. Agree on the resurrection options tho.

Alright. (sorry J20hawkz i forgot we had this topic to discuss on)

With the addition of multiplayer the way we look at mobs could change,  the scary ones such as the spiders and hounds and so on, they might not look so scary for some, but they fit right in to the dark team, but now when there is more then one player things could get much less scary and spooky.

then how abut making some mobs more...scary and dark maybe? to balance out the fact that there is more then one player, and retain the team of the spookiness of don't starve.

i'm worried that our perspective of mobs in multiplayer will change so much until we will see those creatures more as a joke."

I like the idea of multiplayer, but I don't want it balanced for public games. I want it balanced for games with friends. I also really dislike the idea of people joining and leaving the server. I'd rather have it where the game can only start when it's got when it's full with the number of players it started with, unless people have died. And it auto-pauses if someone D/C's.

Archived