Wargs part of Hound Attacks - multiplayer balance idea included OPTION 4

Should Wargs accompany Hounds during a Hound Attack?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

The whole point of Hounds was to prevent turtling. What if Wargs camped outside your base continually spawning Hounds so you didn't have a choice and had to not turtle. Because eventually you traps will all run out.

Hi.

Did you not read the original post? I am suggesting that Wargs accompanying Hounds during a Hound Attack does not spawn hounds. They simply accompany what ever hounds are already attacking you on that day.

This sounds pretty interesting. Due to my favorite character being unfortunately ruined with fully upgraded stats, I don't have a lot that could kill me. I just tank the hounds nowadays, but where's the fun in that? I love that feeling of being on edge, and not knowing if a Warg is going to spawn with the hounds is a good place to start.

Very true. Personally I don't go trail hunting so for Wargs to spawn during hound attacks will definitely make things much more fun and tense.

yes, big yes from me

always happy to see these king of topics, i mean those, that make the game harder a little bit

maybe not day 50-99..... maybe just 1 wrag after day 150, or something like that

yes, big yes from me

always happy to see these king of topics, i mean those, that make the game harder a little bit

maybe not day 50-99..... maybe just 1 wrag after day 150, or something like that

Thanks for commenting. Nice to see you like the idea.

I personally think day 150 will be too late...maybe wargs should have a chance of spawning after day 100 when the hound limit in hound attacks has been reached?

Edit: almost a 100 votes! Thanks for all the support guys :)

Edit: 100 votes! Thanks to everyone supporting this suggestion and thanks to everyone who have added in their own ideas to help improve what I originally suggested.

Wargs make me wish you could make a dacian draco in game with a warg's head. "The hollow dragon's head was mounted on a pole with a fabric tube affixed at the rear. In use, the draco was held up into the wind, or above the head of a horseman, where it filled with air and gave the impression it was alive while making a shrill sound as the wind passed through its strips of material."

But back to the subject at hand, awesome idea.

Thoughts on Blue and Red Wargs? Similar to how we have Blue and Red Hounds.

What if they were purple, like how blue/red gems are combined to make purple ones? They don't drop purple gems on death, but maybe they explode into a thick cloud of sanity draining smoke.

Or something along those lines anyway.

What if they were purple, like how blue/red gems are combined to make purple ones? They don't drop purple gems on death, but maybe they explode into a thick cloud of sanity draining smoke.

Purple is a good idea.  Also i like the idea of having a chance to spawn worgs after a certain day.  I like surprises.

The thing about it not spawning more hounds is the critical part to me. My only issue is that hound attacks seem to always happen when a giant is attacking. 2 wargs + 6 hounds + deerclops... ya sounds like fun :(

I'm gonna go with a big No. After day 100, with each Hound attack 10 hounds can spawn. With two Vargs on their side, the amount of Hounds could potentially triple. You can't outrun them without a walking cane, they won't despawn if you manage to run away.

I'd say no, because by the time the Warg would become a reasonable addition to a hound attack you're most likely killing them all with a field of tooth traps or some other massive protection like an entire pig village (this is unreliable in long term though) or Wickerbottom with a field of summoned tentacles. This would just make the endgame hound attacks even more impossible to handle when caught away from your base/protections.

Because endgame hound waves are ALREADY pretty much impossible to fight without outside help, due to stunlocking (and now ice hounds are deadlier), and by the time you get there you'll have made some kind of nigh-undefeatable countermeasure that the warg isn't going to make a big difference to. It'll just make it more annoying and punishing to leave your defenses more than a day or two after the last attack.

No! And not because it´s harder, but because it doesn´t make sense!

The Warg should be a separate creature from hounds all together! If you were following Koalefent tracks, wouldn´t you notice that the animal you are tracking is running around in a pack? There would be thousands of footprints. 

Make The Varg a solo creature! Also, The Warg in Norse mythology is a wolf not a hound, they wouldn´t be working with hounds!

This is a terrible idea, do NOT make this a thing!

The Warg should be a separate creature from hounds all together! If you were following Koalefent tracks, wouldn´t you notice that the animal you are tracking is running around in a pack? There would be thousands of footprints. 

Make The Varg a solo creature! Also, The Warg in Norse mythology is a wolf not a hound, they wouldn´t be working with hounds!

But the warg is already in the game with the tracks. Why does that not make sense to add it with timely attacks as well?

But the warg is already in the game with the tracks. Why does that not make sense to add it with timely attacks as well?

Because I believe that that´s something they should fix. The Warg is a creature that should work alone, because:

- Of tracks....

- The fact that it´s not a hound, it´s a wolf.

- The more you repeat a creature in Don´t Starve, the less unique or interesting it becomes. The Warg is to me fascinating because I still haven´t encountered it. I rather have the world of Don´t Starve to be vast and big, with a sense of mystery surrounding it. It feels cheap and boring to me to re-use mobs. To me your request feels like on the same level as if you were asking to have Deerclops attack with hounds.

- Simply no need. Hounds are sufficient enough of a challenge. Sure, the novelty might be interesting at first, but it´ll just become boring and a pain overtime. 

I'd say no, because by the time the Warg would become a reasonable addition to a hound attack you're most likely killing them all with a field of tooth traps or some other massive protection like an entire pig village (this is unreliable in long term though) or Wickerbottom with a field of summoned tentacles. This would just make the endgame hound attacks even more impossible to handle when caught away from your base/protections.

Because endgame hound waves are ALREADY pretty much impossible to fight without outside help, due to stunlocking (and now ice hounds are deadlier), and by the time you get there you'll have made some kind of nigh-undefeatable countermeasure that the warg isn't going to make a big difference to. It'll just make it more annoying and punishing to leave your defenses more than a day or two after the last attack.

Completely agree.

The Warg is to me fascinating because I still haven´t encountered it.

Give it some time, sooner than you think you're gonna be "oh... not this clown again. heeey warg, nice to see you, yeah, everything good, yeah? mhm? okay. okay. just... die. in a fire. yeah? there. are you... done? are you done yet? there. good. meh. what a clown". Basically.

Would love to see the cap removed from hound difficulty, to make it harder to survive waves day 500 than day 100. Perhaps by making the hound world setting actually work long term so it adds wargs and more hounds as time progresses. Then surviving very long will feel like a greater achievement.

This sounds really cool!

I'm gonna go with a big No. After day 100, with each Hound attack 10 hounds can spawn. With two Vargs on their side, the amount of Hounds could potentially triple. You can't outrun them without a walking cane, they won't despawn if you manage to run away.

@Lauri455 Good point. But my suggestion clearly states that Vargs which have a chance of spawning DURING hound attacks DON'T have the ability to spawn hounds. So that nullifies your concern.

Next. To make a compromise. If 10 hounds spawn we can make it so that when a Varg spawns it takes up two places for hounds spawning. So in a pack of 10 hounds if one Varg spawns then only 8 hounds will accompany a Varg and no more.

In all honesty you shouldn't be trying to run away to get rid of them. Early game you want to lead hounds to beefalo, pigs, tentacles (depending on your location). Late game you'll have so many traps set up, no matter if 100 hounds (OTT) spawn you shouldn't have a problem.

Does that help? Please share your thoughts.

@Tumalu Please explain the unreliable nature of having your own large anti hound defence system set up? As things are now I don't find dealing with large hound attacks frustrating or difficult. I know roughly when a hound attack is coming so I don't linger from base. All I do is stand in the middle of a large 80 or so patch of tooth traps and watch as all the hounds are destroyed on its border, it's not challenging at all.

This may not be 80 but it's a good example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220248087

Also please explain the impossible nature of dealing with hound attacks without outside help? If you set up base properly near pigs and beefalo, dealing with hound attacks is a breeze. Slowly you gather a large amount of resources which enable you to make your own protection. If you're playing the game right you should inevitably come to a point in game, where you won't need outside help.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

@TheKingofSquirrels This isn't a valid reason. But it's good that you pointed it out. If Vargs do spawn in the normal hound attacks we are so accustomed to, they won't leave foot prints. So that isn't an issue.

Secondly and more importantly, adding the chance of Vargs spawning in normal hound attacks will keeps things fresh. You'll get something different or a chance of something different occurring during regular hound attacks. I could have suggested any monster accompanying hounds to keep things "fresh". I could have even suggested blue hounds accompanying hounds (Klei just did this for Spring), but I chose to go with a more alpha male type leader monster. The natural monster that currently fits that trend is a Varg.

Also to keep hunting unique Vargs that spawn in hound attacks don't drop anything, or can drop the odd tooth. So if you dislike or have never been hunting, seeing a Varg for the first time in a hound attack, will encourage the player to do so, just to get its loot.

If the warg dropped something special, killing it instantly with fire would become a worse option.

Are you making a suggestion? This would be true in general, but I haven't implied that the Varg does drop any special loot here.

Archived