[MOD] Hero in the Dark (original thread)

Very nice idea for a mod. It's pretty much what I've wanted Don't Starve to be in terms of Gameplay (minus the levelling - but I can deal with that. Reminds me a bit of Fallen Enchantress) since I began playing back in the alpha days.

If you need help testing with balance, I'd be happy to assist since it's what I do. 

heh, I actually talked with Kael (Derek Paxton) a bit during the Fall From Heaven development. A couple of the design ideas were mine and also did a lot of testing for that and Fall Further mod.

Anyway, if you are interested and have the time to play test, send me a PM.

I could help with playtesting, how much time do you think will be needed to do it properly?

Tbh, the time required can vary, we update daily but some coding updates are more tricky then others. Most stuff can be easily tested via console spawns, but others take some time to find E.G. testing drop rates from monsters, checking caves/ruins (soon we will be testing dungeon mechanics), leveling, testing balance issues, items that add a new mechanic to the game etc

I added some spoilers to earlier posts in this thread, about the items and the xp tables.

Think we fixed our position issues, Check out the new items and the totems that will be going in the next update,

ds_upload_6.jpg

ds_upload_7.jpg

ds_upload_8.jpg

New update for the mod:

• alpha 0.02
  • Added in new items to the random item list, axes, potions, totems (be careful of the "wonder potions" 20 effects, some good, some bad ;)
  • Fire Totem, It will shoot fireballs when place on the ground, 20 uses, 30 sec delay,rare drop
  • Blue totem It will connect to other blue totems that are activated to create a electricity field doing dmg to anything, also a small light source, limited timer, rare drop
  • Added in poison spiders and dens
  • Added in a new druid spell
  • Bug fixes:
  • Fixed some bugs with the xp tables

Edited by kraken121

I downloaded the mod and tried to turn it on in game. Once I click ok it crashes. I changed the mod lua file to have api set to 4 instead of five, but that didn't help. Also when I extracted the files it said that one of the .tex files was "broken". Maybe this is the reason it isn't working?

tex files reporting broken means that it extracted just first of the rar split files, that is why it's crashing. So assuming you have

HeroInTheDark.part1.rar

HeroInTheDark.part2.rar

both downloaded in the same directory, could you please tell me which software you're using that is failing to read the 2nd file? I can't reproduce it no matter what I try...

tex files reporting broken means that it extracted just first of the rar split files, that is why it's crashing. So assuming you have

HeroInTheDark.part1.rar

HeroInTheDark.part2.rar

both downloaded in the same directory, could you please tell me which software you're using that is failing to read the 2nd file? I can't reproduce it no matter what I try...

I used 7-zip to extract the files. I merged them together and placed the HITD folder into /mods. I load the game and apply the mod and when I click okay, it crashes.

No need to manually merge anything, just dump all files into same dir and start extract on the first, software itself will go through all archive parts and make HITD dir.

Yeah usually I'd go with naming conventions like .rar .001 .002 etc, but you can't upload unknown file types on the forums, perhaps that's what is making you guys think you should manually merge stuff? Basically for all purposes they are linked, you just have to tell it to extract the first one...

No need to manually merge anything, just dump all files into same dir and start extract on the first, software itself will go through all archive parts and make HITD dir.

Yeah usually I'd go with naming conventions like .rar .001 .002 etc, but you can't upload unknown file types on the forums, perhaps that's what is making you guys think you should manually merge stuff? Basically for all purposes they are linked, you just have to tell it to extract the first one...

Ok I deleted the folder in /mods and i extracted into that folder the rar file. And it worked! Well at least it didn't crash! Thanks

Sorry For quotin from this... but the wizard files in the big portrait folder doesnt work. it just says broken file

it's rar archive split in 2 due to klei download size limitations. Make sure you have downloaded both parts before extracting.

If it still fails, it might be your unarchiver does not support split archives (is that even possible?), in which case you might want to download something that does, most obvious choices being

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

http://www.win-rar.c...nload.html?&L=0

depending on your OS, former should work with windows/linux, if you're on mac might want to get unarchiver tho winrar works too

No need to manually merge anything or even touch the 2nd file, just dump all files into same directory and start extract on the first file named "HeroInTheDark.part1.rar", software itself will go through all archive parts and make Hero In The Dark directory.

The dungeons in this look pretty neat.  Good luck in development, guys!

Thanks! It's been a blast designing/coding this mod and we have put together a great team so far, still looking for some more and some artists are not on these forums. WE have been putting about 8 hours a day into the coding over the past week and a half to get this update ready sometime this week. We have close to 100 random rooms for this first dungeon not to mention another surprise I will announce at launch of the update ;)

This is just the first of many dungeons/forts/castles and other things planned for the mod, another 95% to go! haha I'm sure people will enjoy this next update a lot, I will note though, its hard, much harder  than the ruins.

hello i would like to help you with this mod, i am a decent artist and i play dont starve like crazy, if you think it would be possible for me to help please contact me at gabr0441@yahoo.com

email sent, but I would suggest editing that email,  haha