True LAN Coop - Proposition

Crynux

Thank you for the response!

I'll follow the project 'til I can! Great job so far and keep going!

You're welcome!

Considering the thing with "followers", I think it would be better to keep there being just 1 Chester so each player has to share him (That's the main reason I want to play Multiplayer, because of all the strained resources.). As for Smallbirds, there would be a way to "gain" the smallbird, causing it to follow you instead. This would allow each player to switch control of the Smallbird.

I also have a kind of funny idea, you don't have to add it in if you don't want to, or you could use a .ini file to make it optional. Basically, when a player is below a certain amount of hunger (I am thinking around 10 for most players), they can attack other players. Along with the loot that they normally drop, each player will also drop 8 Monster Meat. Yay for cannibalism. 

Oh, by the way, how many players can be in the game at once? Because if there's only two, I can't see the above idea working out all that well.

I was thinking about one Chester too, although multiple would be fun. It's really a toss up between one or multiple. Having one, players will likely fight over him. Having multiple... takes the fun out of being the only one to have him.

Players can attack each other by default. I believe for the final version, we plan to have a 1 to 1 player to character ratio for servers. That is, a max of one of each character per server. For beta, it won't be limited...

I'll definitely be following this mod for quite a while, I've bookmarked it and will be checking daily. ^.^

I don't have any "real" coding experience, mostly just adding and changing functions, but I learn fast if it matters to you at all.

As for what the person above me (doom) said, I really wouldn't like only having one chester. My main concern about multiplayer would be that there won't be ENOUGH resources for two people to survive reliably, and limiting chester for example isn't in my opinion a very good idea. Of course, after a stable working build is out, an .ini could do the trick.

Thanks for the interest!

We're actually going to customize the drops, as balancing will be needed without caves in the game. It's likely that we'll need to balance the item drops at some point, but for now, we're just going to customize them, hopefully not straying too far from defaults.

Good job. With pleasure I watched the effects of work on the mod. I am very curious to see how he comes out in practice.

I'm glad you're interested! I hope it comes out well!

Thanks again to all,

-Crynux

You're welcome!

I was thinking about one Chester too, although multiple would be fun. It's really a toss up between one or multiple. Having one, players will likely fight over him. Having multiple... takes the fun out of being the only one to have him.

Players can attack each other by default. I believe for the final version, we plan to have a 1 to 1 player to character ratio for servers. That is, a max of one of each character per server. For beta, it won't be limited...

Thanks for the interest!

We're actually going to customize the drops, as balancing will be needed without caves in the game. It's likely that we'll need to balance the item drops at some point, but for now, we're just going to customize them, hopefully not straying too far from defaults.

I'm glad you're interested! I hope it comes out well!

Thanks again to all,

-Crynux

So you can have like 8 characters on at one? Oh man.. This is gonna revolutionize RPing! And now we can reenact the Food Distributing Scene from the The Walking Dead game.

So you can have like 8 characters on at one? Oh man.. This is gonna revolutionize RPing! And now we can reenact the Food Distributing Scene from the The Walking Dead game.

Yep, but it depends if we allow all characters in multiplayer... some of their abilities are complex, and require synchronization. Unless we just disable the abilities for now.

Will there be PvP and will this be built compatible with the Reign of Giants DLC when it's officially released?

Define PvP... regarding RoG, it will depend if it has LuaSockets built in. If it doesn't, then I'm afraid not.

Thanks,

-Crynux

How would the bosses work? It would be way too easy with two people. If deer is attacking one person, the other can just hack away at him. Even then if deerclops changes aggro then it will be the same thing.

Most bosses have an attack that hits multiple things. Most.

Most bosses have an attack that hits multiple things. Most.

Deer-yes

fuzzy rhino-stops charging after he hits you

leif-no

queen-no.

"most"

plus that wasn't my point. I mean to say get one player to kite it boss and another behind it.

Deer-yes

leif-no

queen-no.

"most"

plus that wasn't my point. I mean to say get one player to kite it boss and another behind it.

For beta, we're not planning to do anything special regarding bosses (suggestions are welcome). Regarding other mobs, like hounds, we'll be making custom spawn patterns and conditions.

-Crynux

PS: I created an IRC room, haven't used one before, but it seems to work. If you don't want to chat with skype, you can message me in there. Just give a username and I think you can ignore the password. I'll be on it all day, if I don't respond immediately, I'm just away from my computer temporarily.

Deer-yes

leif-no

queen-no.

"most"

Deerclops: Yes, swinging

Ancient Guardian: Yes, charge

Tree Guard: I thought yes... doesn't he do something like a swing?

Spider Queen: I consider yes, as herself isn't all that hard its mostly the spiders she spawns (IMO)

I would go into detail about RoG stuff but, that isn't necessary at the moment.

Anyway yeah I get that, however the real issue (IMO) is not the monsters you face as much as the limited resources between each of you.

For beta, we're not planning to do anything special regarding bosses (suggestions are welcome). Regarding other mobs, like hounds, we'll be making custom spawn patterns and conditions.

-Crynux

PS: I created an IRC room, haven't used one before, but it seems to work. If you don't want to chat with skype, you can message me in there. Just give a username and I think you can ignore the password. I'll be on it all day, if I don't respond immediately, I'm just away from my computer temporarily.

I think that each boss should gain a new attack to help them deal with the other player:

-Baby Guardians pop out of the ground in a large radius near the Ancient Guardian. They have strong damage and are fast, but their HP is lacking. The Baby Guardians will always focus fire on one player and try to "tie em' up" so that the first player has to fight the Guardian alone.

-Spider Queens are fine as they are due to their spider backup.

-Treeguards will be able to shoot an explosive forest spirit. It travels slowly, but the Treeguard can shoot it while moving. It only does this occasionally, and can do it while attacking.

-Deerclops and other Seasonal Giants are fine for now, IIRC all of them have an AoE attack and the Goomse has its Mosling backup.

-Hallucinations - I know they aren't a boss but I came up with a great idea for them. So, there would be multiple Hallucination types - For the sake of simplicity, let's say black and red. Black hallucinations only attack or be attacked by the first player and only appear when P1 has low sanity. Red ones are the same, but for P2. That way, having all the sanity between the different characters wouldn't be weird, and also allows the Hallucinations to not become weak (After all, they aren't really meant to be fought by more than one person). Perhaps the color of the hallucinations and maybe parts of their appearance could be dependant on the character.

Deerclops: Yes, swinging

Ancient Guardian: Yes, charge

Tree Guard: I thought yes... doesn't he do something like a swing?

Spider Queen: I consider yes, as herself isn't all that hard its mostly the spiders she spawns (IMO)

I would go into detail about RoG stuff but, that isn't necessary at the moment.

Anyway yeah I get that, however the real issue (IMO) is not the monsters you face as much as the limited resources between each of you.

Fuzzy rhino stops charging when he hits you right?

Leif's attack looks like an aoe but only hits one, like tentacle.

Queen I sorta agree, but should have more spawned.

And yes rescources I agree.

Nothing in the world can touch you if you have enough people working with you, and resources will be very scarce in this. I dont see the need for multiplayer but i'll shut up and stop being rude, good luck and i hope it goes well and that people who use this have fun.

I edited this post because previously it sounded very rude.

Nothing in the world can touch you if you have enough people working with you, and resources will be very scarce in this. I dont see the need for multiplayer but i'll shut up and stop being rude, good luck.

You saw the point, but you looked past it.

"Nothing in the world can touch you if you have enough people working with you" Only four in the end, and you all might just have a spear/grass suit if resources are that scarce.

You saw the point, but you looked past it.

"Nothing in the world can touch you if you have enough people working with you" Only four in the end, and you all might just have a spear/grass suit if resources are that scarce.

Ok i admit i was being dumb there. I can see why some people would like this for the challenge, but not me. But i'm not going to just jump in and say: "OMG MULTIPLAYER MOD STOP MAKING ITS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME" at least.

Nothing in the world can touch you if you have enough people working with you, and resources will be very scarce in this. I dont see the need for multiplayer but i'll shut up and stop being rude, good luck.

This thread seems to have gotten out of hand. I don't understand why people make comments such as highlighted above. If you don't see the need for something, then don't discourage those who do, especially when they've dedicated so much time to it.

Anyways, I don't plan on giving many updates in the coming weeks, I have exams to tend to. Development will hopefully continue at a normal pace in the beginning of May.

-Crynux

This thread seems to have gotten out of hand. I don't understand why people make comments such as highlighted above. If you don't see the need for something, then don't discourage those who do, especially when they've dedicated so much time to it.

Anyways, I don't plan on giving many updates in the coming weeks, I have exams to tend to. Development will hopefully continue at a normal pace in the beginning of May.

-Crynux

I'm not trying to discourage you, i said good luck in a good way though it may of come off in a bad way which if it did i didnt mean it that way. I was trying to say good luck for the mod because i wasnt going to use it, but i want those to use it to have fun. I edited my post to make it sound better.

I'm not trying to discourage you, i said good luck in a good way though it may of come off in a bad way which if it did i didnt mean it that way. I was trying to say good luck for the mod because i wasnt going to use it, but i want those to use it to have fun. I edited my post to make it sound better.

Ok, understood. It did seem a little harsh at first, lol, but I get your point now!

For me it's like when you're eating some fries, and you come across that one nasty fry... That would have been the nasty fry, ruins the whole meal, lol.

-Crynux

Ok, understood. It did seem a little harsh at first, lol, but I get your point now!

For me it's like when you're eating some fries, and you come across that one nasty fry... That would have been the nasty fry, ruins the whole meal, lol.

-Crynux

Yeah, when i read how i originally made the post, i would have probably thought it meant something bad too. My mistake. But don't let those jerks get you down, there will always be those people who disagree with everything other than his/her own opinion.

Yeah, when i read how i originally made the post, i would have probably thought it meant something bad too. My mistake. But don't let those jerks get you down, there will always be those people who disagree with everything other than his/her own opinion.

Yeah, it happens. There will always be those overly opinionated people... at least some of us can take pride in knowing we're not one of them! :cool2:

Yeah, it happens. There will always be those overly opinionated people... at least some of us can take pride in knowing we're not one of them! :cool2:

I saw that double quote before you edited it, but i've made accidental double posts before when trying to edit it into another post so it's forgiven.

Not been having a very good day with all of kraken121's posts. I hope they don't make that new member quit over it.

Anyways, we should get back on topic. I'll be going now.

I saw that double quote before you edited it, but i've made accidental double posts before when trying to edit it into another post so it's forgiven.

Not been having a very good day with all of kraken121's posts. I hope they don't make that new member quit over it.

Anyways, we should get back on topic. I'll be going now.

Actually, the double quote was from the site lagging for me. Sometimes it hangs forever when making a post, so I refreshed the page, and that was the result, lol.

Ok i admit i was being dumb there. I can see why some people would like this for the challenge, but not me. But i'm not going to just jump in and say: "OMG MULTIPLAYER MOD STOP MAKING ITS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME" at least.

You did, just not those exact words. Or so it seemed.

Only four characters in the end? Then let's say, for the hallucination colors:

P1 = Black

P2 = Light red

P3 = Purple

P4 = Dark red

I'd still support being able to have all of the characters in the game at once though. It'd totally revolutionize the whole RP forums if they could get all the RPers playing at once.

Archived