[Mod Idea] Clockwork Tooth Trap

Ortorin

Maintaining an effective killing field of tooth traps is a time consuming process. Recent advancements in gear technology has lead to self-resetting traps.

Recipe:

1 Log, 1 Gear, 3 Hound's Teeth

55 Damage

21 uses

5 second delay on reset

Fuel:

Hounds Teeth @ 33% per tooth

This trap bites down harder than it's more primitive counterpart. But that extra bite comes at a cost. Clockwork Traps run on Hound's Teeth as "fuel". When the trap runs out of fuel it stops automatically resetting. With only twice as many uses, and three times the cost in teeth, regular traps are still more resource efficient.

You gain the ability to set traps that you never need to worry about replacing. Have some beautiful designs made of death and they will always stay that way. To increase cleanup, the traps are pickup on right-click only. This means you can left-click or hold spacebar to your heart's content near them.

Anyone man enough to tackle the coding for this?

Would you really spend gears on a trap with finite uses just to have it self-reset?

EDIT: Wait, I think I misunderstood what you meant. Instead, I believe what you want is the following:

A self-resetting trap with 20 "charged", which on reaching 0 stops resetting, but keeps existing. Adding a trap tooth to it would recharge 6.67 uses.

I suggest you make the total uses be 21, though. ;P

And that you make the damage slightly lower than the regular toothtrap, such as 55 or 50.

Would you really spend gears on a trap with finite uses just to have it self-reset?

EDIT: Wait, I think I misunderstood what you meant. Instead, I believe what you want is the following:

A self-resetting trap with 20 "charged", which on reaching 0 stops resetting, but keeps existing. Adding a trap tooth to it would recharge 6.67 uses.

I suggest you make the total uses be 21, though. ;P

And that you make the damage slightly lower than the regular toothtrap, such as 55 or 50.

Yeah, that's it exactly. I updated the OP with your suggestions, they're good ones.

i still think they should do more damage, since there is 3 teeth, and the gears make the teeth pierce even more in the foe's flesh :razz:

If you want a lore friendly explanation, you could think that the automatic recoil provided by the gears is not as strong as the manual one. It's not a marvel of engineering, just a gear attached to a log. ;P

But the reason is balance, of course. Automating a killing machine is a powerful thing.

And oh, @Ortorin, I hadn't mentioned anything but I'll write this mod. I just don't do art, so unless some artist is pitching in on that it'll look just like a tooth trap (with a color tweak, I'm thinking), at least for the first version/prototype.

If you want a lore friendly explanation, you could think that the automatic recoil provided by the gears is not as strong as the manual one. It's not a marvel of engineering, just a gear attached to a log. ;P

But the reason is balance, of course. Automating a killing machine is a powerful thing.

And oh, @Ortorin, I hadn't mentioned anything but I'll write this mod. I just don't do art, so unless some artist is pitching in on that it'll look just like a tooth trap (with a color tweak, I'm thinking), at least for the first version/prototype.

It will be a pleasure working with you on this. Thank you for taking up the project. *KowTow*

My stickmen have scoliosis so, I can't do the art. I'll look around for an artist that might lend us a hand. 

I got a rough Draft done. (I tried to mimic the games style but that didn't work out so well..)

attachicon.gifGeared Tooth Trap Final.png

What do you think?

I like the sketch. I'd rotate the left tooth, though, for symmetry. :razz:

It could work. Guess we need an animator. xD

I'm betting this will be nothing more than a recolored tooth trap. =D

Doing custom animations is more trouble than it's worth in this case. It'd be best to just take the tooth trap atlas and edit/replace the analogous parts.

BTUTJ2v.png

Bad link

?

Here it's showing fine under both Firefox and Chrome. If just a link name is showing up, try clicking on it (I've noticed this behaviour lately in the forums, after clicking on the img link it automagically becomes an image).

Archived