Another of Ortorin's mod ideas: Craftable Shadow Spike weapons.

Ortorin

Ugh, there's something wrong with the image

post-287842-0-03624700-1385268369.png

Whenever i try putting it into spriter there's this white noise all over the edges of it for some reason

Edit - Fixed it.

Whenever you're ready then man. Thanks for the work you are doing. I look forward to trying out your creation.

Thanks, i will upload a version as soon as i can get the anim files working, the weapon would work, you just cant see it :razz:

Shadow spike v4 incoming!!!!

AqzMTw1.png

BTW, the things I'm making are not supposed to be the official textures, just something a better artist could refer to :-)

Edit: I'm happy with a black tentacle spike for now, but I look forward to more versions, with better textures and what-not.

Hmm. here's a bit of an idea i've concoted over the time i've spent with squeek getting the whole sanity - damage thing working, what if the mod adds 2 weapons, both of their damage cycles from tentacle psike to nightmare sword, but in two completely different ways,

The shadowspikes damage would change staticly depending on how low your sanity is, e.g

sanity > 100 = damage 51

sanity > 50 = damage 60

sanit < 50 = damage 68

and then a new item, the Dreamy sword, would increase dynamically, depending on how high your sanity is, e.g

sanity * .45 = weapondamage

Hmm. here's a bit of an idea i've concoted over the time i've spent with squeek getting the whole sanity - damage thing working, what if the mod adds 2 weapons, both of their damage cycles from tentacle psike to nightmare sword, but in two completely different ways,

The shadowspikes damage would change staticly depending on how low your sanity is, e.g

sanity > 100 = damage 51

sanity > 50 = damage 60

sanit < 50 = damage 68

and then a new item, the Dreamy sword, would increase dynamically, depending on how high your sanity is, e.g

sanity * .45 = weapondamage

Well my honest assessment is that, well, I don't like the idea of damage scaling with sanity. I think that system sends the wrong vibe about what sanity is in the game. It's not a well of energy you can use, it's a stat to remind you that your character is afraid of the world around it.

Once you start scaling damage or anything else off of sanity levels, you turn it into a power bar. 

Looking forward to your next update of the Shadowspike. I'm going to try out the balance of the mod and see if there might be need for a tweak from some in-game experience with it.

Ugh, there's something wrong with the image

attachicon.gifshadowspikes.png

Whenever i try putting it into spriter there's this white noise all over the edges of it for some reason

Edit - Fixed it.

Thanks, i will upload a version as soon as i can get the anim files working, the weapon would work, you just cant see it :razz:

something you may want to try out is lessening the opacity that might give a nice effect, still looks good though

Well my honest assessment is that, well, I don't like the idea of damage scaling with sanity. I think that system sends the wrong vibe about what sanity is in the game. It's not a well of energy you can use, it's a stat to remind you that your character is afraid of the world around it.

Once you start scaling damage or anything else off of sanity levels, you turn it into a power bar. 

Looking forward to your next update of the Shadowspike. I'm going to try out the balance of the mod and see if there might be need for a tweak from some in-game experience with it.

Scared? pffft. Wilson never gets scared!

In all seriousness though, i thought it might be a cool mechanic to work with, having two different weapons which are pretty much the exact opposite of each other in terms of how sanity affects them, if you'd like, i can continue creating the shadow spike as you wanted it and implement the [insertnamehere] and dreamy sword into a different mod, most of the shadow spike code is ready, i simply need to finish up with the anims which apparently do not want to work for me.

Scared? pffft. Wilson never gets scared!

In all seriousness though, i thought it might be a cool mechanic to work with, having two different weapons which are pretty much the exact opposite of each other in terms of how sanity affects them, if you'd like, i can continue creating the shadow spike as you wanted it and implement the [insertnamehere] and dreamy sword into a different mod, most of the shadow spike code is ready, i simply need to finish up with the anims which apparently do not want to work for me.

I would like the Shadowspike to be separate, yes.

So far in my tests the spike seems to be well balanced. I changed the recipe, brought the damage down 2 points, and made it tier two magic.  This should be a good magical stand-in for the tentacle spike.

I would like the Shadowspike to be separate, yes.

So far in my tests the spike seems to be well balanced. I changed the recipe, brought the damage down 2 points, and made it tier two magic.  This should be a good magical stand-in for the tentacle spike.

If i may ask, what exactly did you change the recipe to?

Have another test version, this one's more complete, it has the (possibly) final recipe and damage added to it, but i still can't get the swap anim to work, *repeatedly slams head against desk* But seriously, if someone with better experience with spriter and the animations could look over it and tell me whats wrong it would be greatly appreciated

Wilsons Shadow Spike.zip

The same as in the OP. Prehistulator - 2 fuel, 3 teeth, 2 twigs (i'm thinking maybe 1 living log instead of twigs though)

I want the recipe to be challenging, but not so bad as the sword. Teeth become abundant after awhile, but fuel stays low for a long time unless you start farming for it. One living log would add to the difficulty, but I'm not sure if this recipe needs that boost.

The same as in the OP. Prehistulator - 2 fuel, 3 teeth, 2 twigs (i'm thinking maybe 1 living log instead of twigs though)

I want the recipe to be challenging, but not so bad as the sword. Teeth become abundant after awhile, but fuel stays low for a long time unless you start farming for it. One living log would add to the difficulty, but I'm not sure if this recipe needs that boost.

I don't think the living log will be necessary, beisdes if you can get a living log, you can probably make a dark sword by then, making the mod for the most part pointless

Yes!! I have gotten the swap to work! the problem was i had this -

owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_shadowspike", "swap_shadowspike")

where i should have had 

owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_shadowspike", "shadowspike")

its amazing how one tiny mistake can leave you searching for hours trying to figure out whats wrong

Edit - Getting close to a final version, just need to tweak the recipe and anims

you can just recolor existing tentacle spike to black and then use:

inst.AnimState:SetMultColour(1, 1, 1, 0.6) and it will be like shadow sword.

I wish i had known that before i spent 15 minutes messing with the photoshop opacity and different effects....

Archived