[HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE] (Mod Collab) Waverly, the bewitched

@Craig_Perry, I summon you to ask you to do some testing on thenewest version of the mod, since I cannot test it on my phone.

Here are some things that would help.

Check your max health, then summon a spider or something, check your max health again, kill it, and check your health once more. Do you get your max health back once the summon dies?

Could you spawn a terrorbeak or crawling horror and see if it raises or decreases your sanity as well?

Finally, if it isn't much trouble, do a full day of survival again, and see if the mega sanity drain has lessened a little, or taken more time to drain completely.

P.S. If the weeping willow thing is implemented, test that out too.

The weeping willow is implemented as follows right now:

-It goes down on 4 chops

-first chop will send down a lightning to throw your axe out of your hand

-second chop will spawn Waverly as an aggressive mob

-I tried something atmospheric for the night. If you approch the tree a thunderstorm will start, that means it'll rain and (harmless to you) lightnings will strike all around. What's your opinion on that?

To be done is the static layout for the tree and a place to spawn it. I would suggest the savannah as a place for that since that's where I imagine a mystical tree to be found. Also I'd say the tree should drop a magic twig which can be used to craft a wand (see bellow)

I'm almost done implementing a magic system which will allow you to equip different spells using a tome where you write down all those spells. To equip spells you'll need a wand crafted from the magic twig of the weeping willow. Expect something on that in two days.

What I need to do here is create craftable spell-pages, and the craftable tome. Any suggestions on what those craftables need besides the obvious papyrus? I'd say for the spell specific to the spell.

Another thing I need are spells. I'm not the most creative person at the moment so I only got two so far:

-Close Teleportation: Obvious one.

-Black Birds Rage: Rains down crows on the target for a certain time. Those will do a certain amount of damage

@Everyone on this forum: Suggest some spells. keep in mind though that I only have so much time right now and might not be able to implement everything.

Maybe I should rather create a new thread for that question though. I'll see, since I have to finish implementing everything first.

@ElAguilar Do you think you can do the atlas for the weeping willow, keeping in mind that it should be animated to resemble a heavy storm? We'd also need quite a lot of icons for the spelltome, each spell, the wand and the magic twig. If that seems to much I'll try to persuade my brother to do some of that stuff.

I had a couple ideas, one of them might be impossible, though.

Bonemeal Aura: Fully grows all plants in a short radius, and grows a couple of flowers around you.

Crafting: Theulcite x2, Pinecone x20, papyrus x1

Time traveler's charm: Pauses time and enemy/passive mob movement for 5 seconds.

Crafting: Theulcite shards x5, nightmare fuel x2, batwing x1, Papyrus x1

Fish caller: Spawns 5 fish around you, but makes it start to rain.

Crafting: Eel x1, Theulcite shards x5, Papyrus x1

As for the weeping willow, your ideas were great, as the savanna doesn't have much in it, and the magic twig idea is great!

I had a couple ideas, one of them might be impossible, though.

Bonemeal Aura: Fully grows all plants in a short radius, and grows a couple of flowers around you.

Crafting: Theulcite x2, Pinecone x20, papyrus x1

Time traveler's charm: Pauses time and enemy/passive mob movement for 5 seconds.

Crafting: Theulcite shards x5, nightmare fuel x2, batwing x1, Papyrus x1

Fish caller: Spawns 5 fish around you, but makes it start to rain.

Crafting: Eel x1, Theulcite shards x5, Papyrus x1

As for the weeping willow, your ideas were great, as the savanna doesn't have much in it, and the magic twig idea is great!

All those ideas sound great ^^  But as you said, I guess the second one is a bit to much for me, though I remeber a thread no too long ago that had the same problem. I'll see if I can find that.

As soon as I have implemented everything else I will start implementing more spells. Do you think I should start a thread asking for more suggestions or should this suffice? I'm not sure since some people might view this thread as some kind of "developer corner" and don't bother looking here.

@KidneyBeanBoy I just looked at your spells again and noticed just one thing I don't like about them. You need to get to the ruins for each one. I don't like the idea of keeping that theme throughout all the spells.

Newest version contains the wand, spelltome, magical twigs and bark and a refreshingly high probability of bugs!

Currently the spelltome works as follows:

-crafting the tome requires magic bark form the weeping willow and a ton of papyrus

-you are only able to read the tome while the wand is equipped

-you can go through all available spells and look at them (three at the moment)

-if you have already unlocked a spell you will see a description as well as the casting cost (sanity/hunger/health) and have the option to equip that spell

-if you have not unlocked a spell you will only see its name along with a quote from the crazy mind of Waverly herself which will hint at the spells ability (as well as the name of course) and the cost to learn that spell

-learning a spell will always cost 1 crimson feather (to write it down)

-current problem with that is that you can only activate the tome when its lying on the ground and only by pressing spacebar, definately needs work

Also the weeping willow still doesn't have a static layout and will as of now spawn close to the player on starting the world (also when loading)

@KidneyBeanBoy I just looked at your spells again and noticed just one thing I don't like about them. You need to get to the ruins for each one. I don't like the idea of keeping that theme throughout all the spells.

Newest version contains the wand, spelltome, magical twigs and bark and a refreshingly high probability of bugs!

Currently the spelltome works as follows:

-crafting the tome requires magic bark form the weeping willow and a ton of papyrus

-you are only able to read the tome while the wand is equipped

-you can go through all available spells and look at them (three at the moment)

-if you have already unlocked a spell you will see a description as well as the casting cost (sanity/hunger/health) and have the option to equip that spell

-if you have not unlocked a spell you will only see its name along with a quote from the crazy mind of Waverly herself which will hint at the spells ability (as well as the name of course) and the cost to learn that spell

-learning a spell will always cost 1 crimson feather (to write it down)

-current problem with that is that you can only activate the tome when its lying on the ground and only by pressing spacebar, definately needs work

Also the weeping willow still doesn't have a static layout and will as of now spawn close to the player on starting the world (also when loading)

It won't let me download

Yeah, I think we should go to another type of magic. Gems, perhaps? Or maybe nightmare fuel, since Waverly can go insane so often.

Since the mob summoning thing is kinda a main strategy for replenishing sanity, we should do something to keep that available, but still have it part of the spellbook. Maybe she could have all the regular spells unlocked, and a bunch of extra spells exclusive to Waverly as well. (Btw, does anyone feel that It's a bit wierd to have Waverly's perks available to other characters?

@Irontaco Seems you're already welcome to the team. So I might as well fill you in on what needs to be done ; )
-The weeping willow needs artwork and animation, if you don't do the animations then just keep the animator in mind when you do the atlas (highest priority)
-the following items need inventoryimages and "on the ground images": witches wand, waverlys wand, spelltome, magical twigs and bark
-the book widget needs a proper artwork (lowest priority)

Tell me what you like and I can give you more information

@KidneyBeanBoy The summoning spell is currently not possible to implement via the spelltome. That's why waverly has a staff that can only cast that spell. And I don't really like keeping so many things exclusive to one character, that's why I'd prefer to have the tome and wand accessible to all players. Which is not such a big deal since they have to find the willow first anyways. I might have more to say when I'm home ; P

EDIT:

We can defiantely add more spells exclusive to Waverly but I would, as of now, stick to the current way and see if there's enough time for that.

@KidneyBeanBoy, ElAguilar, Irontaco, Craig_Perry, Mack18853: Do you have a Dropbox account? Because it would make things quite a bit easier if we had a central place to upload our work. If so just PM me your mail and I'll add you to a folder I'll create.

@Lord_Battal You still with us? Or have you abondoned this project  ; P

@Craig_Perry, Mack18853 If you get around to it I'd appreciate if you could test the follwoing things in the newest version:

-does the weeping willow work as expected (thunderstorms during the night, strikes back when attacked)

-does it drop the loot of 1 magic twigs, 1 magic bark and potentialy normal twigs

-can you craft the spelltome and the witches wand (found in the magic tab)

-what do you think of the interface of the spelltome, does it even work as expected

-do the three spells work as expected

-newest version, same link: do you get teleported to the weeping willow, if yes: what's the last few lines of the log(which you can open by pressing ctrl-L)

okay I apologise in advance for sequential posting but Im doing this piece by piece

- the axe does get knocked out of your hand on the first hit

- on the second hit a crash occurs log below:

scripts/mods.lua(141,1) Loading mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) (Old API! (mod: 3 game: 4) )
scripts/mods.lua(165,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Loading modworldgenmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(165,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Loading modmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(255,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Registering prefabs
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/waverly
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    waverly
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/waverlymob
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    waverlymob
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/waverlywand
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    waverlywand
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/wand
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    wand
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/spelltome
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    spelltome
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/weepingwillow
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    weepingwillow
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/ragecrow
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    ragecrow
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/magicwood
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    magicwood_bark
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    magicwood_twigs
scripts/mods.lua(278,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering default mod prefab
LOADING LUA SUCCESS
scripts/playerdeaths.lua(79,1) PlayerDeaths loaded morgue_staging 562
scripts/playerprofile.lua(268,1) loaded profile_staging
scripts/playerprofile.lua(313,1) bloom_enabled true
scripts/saveindex.lua(75,1) loaded saveindex_staging
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1044,1) OnFilesLoaded()
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1033,1) OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete
scripts/gamelogic.lua(79,1) FE assets already loaded
scripts/modindex.lua(67,1) ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.

Reset() returning
scripts/mods.lua(290,1) unloading prefabs for mod MOD_theweepingwillow
Collecting garbage...
lua_gc took 0.02 seconds
~SimLuaProxy()
lua_close took 0.03 seconds
ReleaseAll
ReleaseAll Finished
cGame::StartPlaying
LOADING LUA
DoLuaFile scripts/main.lua
DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/main.lua
scripts/main.lua(144,1) running main.lua

scripts/modindex.lua(274,1) loaded modindex_staging
scripts/modindex.lua(57,1) ModIndex: Beginning normal load sequence.

scripts/mods.lua(141,1) Loading mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) (Old API! (mod: 3 game: 4) )
scripts/mods.lua(165,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Loading modworldgenmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(165,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Loading modmain.lua
scripts/mods.lua(255,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Registering prefabs
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/waverly
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    waverly
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/waverlymob
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    waverlymob
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/waverlywand
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    waverlywand
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/wand
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    wand
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/spelltome
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    spelltome
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/weepingwillow
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    weepingwillow
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/ragecrow
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    ragecrow
scripts/mods.lua(261,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering prefab file: prefabs/magicwood
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    magicwood_bark
scripts/mods.lua(265,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)    magicwood_twigs
scripts/mods.lua(278,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow)  Registering default mod prefab
LOADING LUA SUCCESS
scripts/playerdeaths.lua(79,1) PlayerDeaths loaded morgue_staging 562
scripts/playerprofile.lua(268,1) loaded profile_staging
scripts/playerprofile.lua(313,1) bloom_enabled true
scripts/saveindex.lua(75,1) loaded saveindex_staging
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1044,1) OnFilesLoaded()
scripts/gamelogic.lua(1033,1) OnUpdatePurchaseStateComplete
WorldSim::SimThread::SimThread()
WorldSim::SimThread::SimThread() complete
THREAD - started 'WorldSim' (2192)
WorldSim::SimThread::Main()
DoLuaFile scripts/worldgen_main.lua
DoLuaFile loading buffer scripts/worldgen_main.lua
scripts/modindex.lua(67,1) ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.

Reset() returning
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(141,1) Loading mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) (Old API! (mod: 3 game: 4) )
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(165,1) Mod: theweepingwillow (The Weeping Willow) Loading modworldgenmain.lua
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(75,1) running worldgen_main.lua

scripts/worldgen_main.lua(77,1) SEED = 1380968906
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(455,1) WORLDGEN PRESET: SURVIVAL_DEFAULT
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(457,1) sanbox level: SURVIVAL_DEFAULT
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(464,1) WORLDGEN LEVLE ID: 1
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(471,1) 
#######
#
# Generating Normal Mode Default Level
#
#######

scripts/worldgen_main.lua(481,1) Applying mod to current level
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(212,1) Creating story...
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/storygen.lua(408,1) LinkNodesByKeys
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(250,1) Baking map... 350
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(275,1) Map Baked!
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(306,1) Encoding...
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(310,1) Encoding... DONE
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(365,1) Checking Tags
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(478,1) Populating voronoi...
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/object_layout.lua(418,1) Warning! Could not find a spot for DefaultPigking in node Speak to the king:6:PigKingdom
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/forest_map.lua(613,1) Done forest map gen!
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(243,1) Checking map...
scripts/worldgen_main.lua(591,1) Generation complete
WorldSim::SimThread::Main() complete
scripts/gamelogic.lua(94,1) Unload FE
scripts/gamelogic.lua(96,1) Unload FE done
scripts/gamelogic.lua(98,1) LOAD BE
scripts/gamelogic.lua(101,1) LOAD BE: done
MiniMapComponent::SetAtlasInfo( minimap/minimap_data.xml )
scripts/gamelogic.lua(409,1) Loading Nav Grid
scripts/entityscript.lua(288,1) component burnable already exists!
scripts/entityscript.lua(288,1) component propagator already exists!
HttpClientWriteCallback (0x00AD4616, 1, 66, 0x0681FB04)
HttpClientWriteCallback READ 66 (66 total)
QueryServerComplete for handle [3] ok, HTTP 500: [{"err":1,"msg":"Can't take a write lock while out of disk space"}
]
QueryServerComplete no callback
scripts/entityscript.lua(288,1) component burnable already exists!
scripts/entityscript.lua(288,1) component propagator already exists!
HttpClientWriteCallback (0x00AD4616, 1, 66, 0x0681FB04)
HttpClientWriteCallback READ 66 (66 total)
QueryServerComplete for handle [4] ok, HTTP 500: [{"err":1,"msg":"Can't take a write lock while out of disk space"}
]
QueryServerComplete no callback
...ont_starve/data/scripts/components/seasonmanager.lua:482: attempt to index local 'pos' (a number value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/seasonmanager.lua(482,1) in function 'DoLightningStrike'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/theweepingwillow/scripts/prefabs/weepingwillow.lua(88,1) in function 'fn'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/scheduler.lua(156,1) in function 'OnTick'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/scheduler.lua(360,1) in function 'RunScheduler'
        C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/update.lua(85,1)
scripts/frontend.lua(475,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen

4 spell ideas I thought lst night (instead of sleeping).

- Undertaker's shovel.

possibile ingredients: shovel, nightmare fuelx2, a gem

weapon
        attack: low-medium
            ability: if you kill someone with this, a tombstone will spawn.

- Demonic mask (clothing)

possible ingredients: twigsx2, gold nugget, nightmare fuel, a gem

equippable
        On equip:
         player's sprite change (maybe become a sort of shadow)
          player become faster
           player's hunger rate stops
            enemies can't see you (until you attack them, except hallucinations)
             instant sanity loss (Hallucinations will spawn)
              darkness around the player (like inside caves)

- Cursed umbrella.

possible ingredients: twigsx6, poopx2, silkx2, nightmare fuel

on use: - player will open the umbrella, and a lot of poop will rain all around
    - sanity will go down on using.
        - Maybe mobs around can be damaged.

- Trade with devil. (book)

possible ingredients: Batilisk wingx2, papyrusx2

random effect: 1; 2; 3;

effect 1: +50% of current health
      -25% of current sanity
      -25% of current hunger

effect 2: -25% of current health
      +50% of current sanity
      -25% of current hunger

effect 3: -25% of current health
      -25% of current sanity
      +50% of current hunger

Maybe there are nothing special, but hope you like them :-)

Undertaker's shovel

That sounds funny, but I assume you mean a tombstone with a grave spawns, otherwise it wouldn't be of much use  : P

Demonic mask (clothing)

That one sounds amazing if you ask me  ^^  But it sounds more of a standalone mod than "just" a spell in this mod: But I will definately try to implement that but our artists already have a lot of work to do so it might not come in this mod. And it also looks like a rather difficult thing to code so I would be better off putting it low on the list so I don't get lost in coding that  ; )

Cursed umbrella

This one is simply disgusting  xD  No offence, but I have a very vivid fantasy and just imagined that in real live... it's not advisable. I'll also think of implementing that but it seems of rather limited use since poop is already rather abundant.

Trade with devil (book)

This one looks super interesting, but I'm not sure what the final outcome would be regarding the maths. Probability was always my weak point... EDIT: Seems the average change will really be 0 which wa expectged, but I'm never sure if it actually is the case. So that works fine ^^

On comment to all those:

You do realise I'm talking about spells that can be equipped to a staff/wand?  : P  Cause that woudl make all those spells a "summon item", which I like but it has one problem. Without a huge amount of additional code (which I probably don't have the time to write) any summons cannot be persisten over saving and loading. That might not be such a big problem but I just needed to say it.

Archived