A New Monster Beariger/tibear Updated 21/09/2013

Should bears be added?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

Now we just have to wait and see. I guess that the developers will look at all the suggestions everyone has made and think about which to add in possible DLCs in the near future.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Whilst this monster is interesting, it feels quite isolated. It never quite feels right in a game when one monster is pretty much immune to strategies that work for almost everything else, and needs a completely new strategy (or in this case Trap), to kill it. It simply doesn't feel intergrated. I love the suggestion, but it's more of a mod addition if you ask me.

Thanks guys. But in no way have I said that this suggestion should be favoured over any other. Obviously I would love to see my idea added, but there are so many awesome suggestions out there giving my idea a run for its money.

Still I feel very strongly that this game could have any sort of wild and weird monster added, if not a bear/tiger hybrid, then some other. Just look at the pengulls for instance.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Whilst this monster is interesting, it feels quite isolated. It never quite feels right in a game when one monster is pretty much immune to strategies that work for almost everything else, and needs a completely new strategy (or in this case Trap), to kill it. It simply doesn't feel intergrated. I love the suggestion, but it's more of a mod addition if you ask me.

I get what you're saying. But I wanted a challenge. I want something that brings back the fear of experiencing something truly devastating. Like the deerclops was.

Current traps will be useful but tedious and give the sense of no hope when they see the Beariger mowing through 40+ tooth traps. Adding another trap that deals decent amount of damage to bearigers will add more variety. The trap can also be used on other monsters. Beartraps can have 5 uses before it is destroyed. So we have the option of using either more tooth traps or bear traps. Seeing as everyone just spams tooth traps willy nilly I don't think adding something just as useful will be seen as negative.

Remember though, in order to make a bear trap you will first need to kill a beariger. So good luck with that :)

I get the bear - but what is the tiger contributing to this? Other than thrown in just to make it a cross between two animals. All the behavior listed seems to be that of a bear.

Since it is honey-centric (A glucovore?)

Other animals that would make sense are badger, civet, opossum, Racoon, and skunk.

Since civet is catlike I would eliminate that and racoon as a choise (see Catcoon)

Leaving Badger, Skunk, and Opossum (or possum)

Badgers are burrowing animals and mole worms have that covered (although maybe making these bears burrow would let them be in caves as well?)

I like the idea of tree dwelling bears...

Urpossum (from Ursine and Opossum) they would resemble bears with elongated snouts and possum tails.

These small nocturnal bears would dwell in trees (climbing into trees to sleep during the day) and would come out at night to eat. During the daylight hours urpossums climb trees and sleep. During the winter they hibernate (burrowing underground and sleeping all winter). Chopping down a tree with an Urpossum in it will make it instantly hostile towards the player. In the wild they eat frogs, carrots, mushrooms, and honey.

Possibly they only nest in a certain type of tree.

Frogs would avoid an urpossum, making them desirable to have around during the spring during frog rains.

While preferring honey they will also eat meat and vegetables. Making them able to take/harvest food from a beebox, beehive, and crock pot and garden. If they also took food from berry bushes, they would be in competition with the gobbler, so they do not eat fruit only vegetables.

If killed, they produce 1 morsel and a 20% chance to produce wool (this generic wool would be the same as the current beefalo wool). This makes an alternative to hunting beefalo for wool needs,

An Urpossum can be pacified with honey, taffy, honey nuggets, or honey ham and doing so will make them stay near the player for a while (much like pigmen do). The amount of time would vary with the food.

Urpossums would have a very small chance to spawn during dusk on the night of a new moon. They would spawn at mushroom locations, digging up from out of the ground.

Because they burrow underground when they hibernate, their life cycle could be reversed in caves (appearing in winter and disappearing by the time summer arrives)

Archived